Do we lose McGriff?

AlaskanFAN

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

That would be scary. CS is a very good defensive coach

Yes he is. And he's 0-2 against Auburn, including having our slightly better than average offense punk his vaunted defense in the second half down in Gainesville for our 10 point win over Urban Myth's 2006 National Champions. Just saying.:big:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Loved him on Home Improvement.

Tim Allen on the best show of the century!

Say it ain't so Crime Dog. With all the potential allegations allegedly coming from the ncaa I didn't think we had anything to worry about. Hopefully, none of it is true.

I would hate to lose McGriff.  But if he is offered the DC job at Ole Miss, I can't blame him for taking it.

wde

Is Auburn defensive backs coach and co-defensive coordinator Wesley McGriff emerging as the top candidate to become the new defensive coordinator at Ole Miss?

There certainly has been a lot of heat surrounding McGriff's name of late.

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn, however, says there has been no request by Ole Miss to talk to McGriff.

"No, they (Ole Miss) haven't (requested to speak with McGriff)," Malzahn said during his Sugar Bowl teleconference. "Of course, he's a great coach and he's done a super job this year and our back end has played extremely well. We haven't given up a whole lot of explosive plays over the top and he has a lot to do with that."

Obviously, that doesn't mean there aren't back channels in which Freeze and McGriff or their representatives could communicate. They are old friends and McGriff was part of Freeze's initial staff at Ole Miss during the 2012 and 2013 seasons and played a tremendous role in assembling the Rebels' highly-rated 2013 recruiting class.

Freeze shared his thoughts on McGriff earlier this year: “He’s so energetic and passionate about what he does and has great knowledge and understands how to capture his room. Also, he’s just really, really dogmatic in recruiting as far as just (being) on it every day at developing relationships with young men. He’s very talented at that. He was vital."

McGriff left Ole Miss in the days after National Signing Day in 2013 to take a position with the NFL's New Orleans Saints.

McGriff spoke about playing against Freeze earlier this year prior to the Ole Miss/Auburn game. “When you’re friends with guys like that and you play against them, of course there are bragging rights and certainly it means a little more to win against those guys, because you can pick up the phone and call those guys and rib them a little bit,” said McGriff. “So from that standpoint, there’s a little bit more of, ‘Hey, I got you on that one.’”

THOUGHT SOME MIGHT FIND THIS ARTICLE INTERESTING......and we need more auburn news on the board..........

1 hour ago, The Freak said:

That IS interesting thank you, but probably could have been added to the existing thread.

you are  right. to be honest i had forgotten the other thread. i have no problem with it being moved.

Freeze and OM are going to get hammered by the NCAA and OM will likely have to run the whole staff off to lessen the penalties.  Hopefully McGriff wants no part of that and stays with the good guys.  

2 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Freeze and OM are going to get hammered by the NCAA and OM will likely have to run the whole staff off to lessen the penalties.  Hopefully McGriff wants no part of that and stays with the good guys.  

LOL, Ole Miss will not be hammered by the NCAA if Ole Miss tells the NCAA to screw off and prove it.  The NCAA has no teeth.  It is a free for all in college athletics.

wde

On 12/5/2016 at 3:42 PM, milehighfan said:

I think Aranda did fine with his move to LSU.

Not sure what that means? He lucked up with coach O getting the head gig... If not he'd be moving again. Also where he left did pretty well without him.

4 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

LOL, Ole Miss will not be hammered by the NCAA if Ole Miss tells the NCAA to screw off and prove it.  The NCAA has no teeth.  It is a free for all in college athletics.

wde

If this was bammer, I might be inclined just a tad with you on this one. However, this is Ole Miss and not a school of relevance. The NCAA still has some very vicious and sharp teeth that if they choose to do so, could bite down on and derail anything that Freeze has going on. I think OM is going to get slammed with sanctions that will set them back to the point that it will take 5 or more years to get back in the middle of the pack in the SEC.

I am not sure if you are being tongue in cheek with this one. I would not under estimate the NCAA whatsoever. They still have tons of clout and a force that I would not dare to mess with if at all possible.

On 12/5/2016 at 6:32 PM, ausburn said:

He has a pine box he left there years ago made out of yellow wood waiting on him.

did tubs not leave because the ol miss ptb's did not keep their promise to improve the facilities in a timely manner like they promised? i remember him saying something about how other schools in the recruiting process used the shabby ol miss atheletic facilities against him and it was hurting his efforts and the schools. i am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong.

As long as we don't lose Travis Williams or Rodney Gardner, I am happy.  I had a feeling McGriff would not be here for long.  It was the same feeling I had with Muschamp.  I hope he stays one more year as I am curious to see how he recruits with a year under his belt, but I would not be all that surprised if he does leave.

38 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

As long as we don't lose Travis Williams or Rodney Gardner, I am happy.  I had a feeling McGriff would not be here for long.  It was the same feeling I had with Muschamp.  I hope he stays one more year as I am curious to see how he recruits with a year under his belt, but I would not be all that surprised if he does leave.

FWIW, it is Garner not Gardner.  Garner is easily replacable on the field in terms of being a good DL coach.  He does excel in recruiting when motivated.   I agree about TWil. He has the potential to be the complete package that Garner is not.

wde

11 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

FWIW, it is Garner not Gardner.  Garner is easily replacable on the field in terms of being a good DL coach.  He does excel in recruiting when motivated.   I agree about TWil. He has the potential to be the complete package that Garner is not.

wde

Good catch on my misspelling.  My laptop must have autocorrected as I have a client with the last name of Gardner that I correspond with.  I would disagree that he is easily replaceable.  We would have a hard time replacing the caliber or coach that he is.  He knows how to develop talent for the NFL and can recruit very well for us.  Our 5*'s on the defensive side have all been on the line.  Both Garner and Williams work well together as the defensive line and the linebackers work in tandem.  Don't want to mess that chemistry up now that our defense is looking like the Auburn defense in the 2000's.

18 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

It would be nice if Gardner gets motivated this year. The great February tandem of DC and RG is down to one..

so if we lose mcgriff can we call bill oliver?   lol   i have no idea if he is still among the living.

Archived