2017 TE Recruiting

AuburnNTexas

Since Stidham is locked. With the possibility of having Stidham, SW, Woody and LN next year or some combination of them we should have more QB depth next year and also the ability to throw more.  I realize the Gus O requires a strong running game with a complimentary passing game. My question is around TE. If we have QB's that are pass first QB's one key element that most teams utilize very effectively is the TE, especially as a safety valve when things break down. Where are we at in getting McKitty to switch and if not him do we have any other TE's in the pipeline that can catch in addition to blocking.

This has been the one area I have always had issues with the Gus O that basic ignoring of the TE even when we have had good ones.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Since Stidham is locked. With the possibility of having Stidham, SW, Woody and LN next year or some combination of them we should have more QB depth next year and also the ability to throw more.  I realize the Gus O requires a strong running game with a complimentary passing game. My question is around TE. If we have QB's that are pass first QB's one key element that most teams utilize very effectively is the TE, especially as a safety valve when things break down. Where are we at in getting McKitty to switch and if not him do we have any other TE's in the pipeline that can catch in addition to blocking.

This has been the one area I have always had issues with the Gus O that basic ignoring of the TE even when we have had good ones.

There are other TEs on the board & we may take 2. I just don't know who may be a top target though outside of McKitty.

I wish Gus would utilize the middle of the field , period. I'd love for it to be a TE, but really any one over the middle.

Seattle ran a play yesterday that did this beautifully. They had an in-line TE and a WR to the left. On the snap, the receiver ran a quick slant and the TE ran a fly. Wilson pumped the slant drawing the backer out of his zone towards the left and hit the TE wide open beneath the safeties for about a 15-20 yard play. With our run game and the aggressiveness of the backers we play, the middle zone is usually vacated and wide open for 10-12 yard easy completions.

There was a 6'-7 TE from Indiana who OV'd.  Never heard from again. Not many Indy kids would fit is my guess.  Looks like all our eggs are in McKitty basket. But isn't he a big U lean with FSU maybe a darkhorse last I heard? We've had terrible luck with TE's in many different ways. Wish Gus would do something to spark a change in our luck.

2 hours ago, autan said:

There was a 6'-7 TE from Indiana who OV'd.  Never heard from again. Not many Indy kids would fit is my guess.  Looks like all our eggs are in McKitty basket. But isn't he a big U lean with FSU maybe a darkhorse last I heard? We've had terrible luck with TE's in many different ways. Wish Gus would do something to spark a change in our luck.

AU never pushed for the Indy kid and all eggs are not on McKitty. AU has offered other TEs the past couple weeks.

Maybe we need to develop a receiving TE.  If Kyle Davis would beef up a little say 20 pounds he could do it.  He's pretty physical, but he might not too keen on that idea. I've noticed our WR's don't block like UAT's (among other things).

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

AU never pushed for the Indy kid and all eggs are not on McKitty. AU has offered other TEs the past couple weeks.

Sounds encouraging E.  I think that would help our case with JS if we could land a big strong TE with great hands maybe a JUCO.

2 hours ago, autan said:

Sounds encouraging E.  I think that would help our case with JS if we could land a big strong TE with great hands maybe a JUCO.

They want a juco. Offered Salvatore Cannella a few days ago. He goes to a juco in Zona. Will OV AU next weekend.

I just saw that right after I posted. Hope he's a good one. Diamond in the rough maybe.  Like Stidham said things are about to get interesting.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I wish Gus would utilize the middle of the field , period. I'd love for it to be a TE, but really any one over the middle.

Seattle ran a play yesterday that did this beautifully. They had an in-line TE and a WR to the left. On the snap, the receiver ran a quick slant and the TE ran a fly. Wilson pumped the slant drawing the backer out of his zone towards the left and hit the TE wide open beneath the safeties for about a 15-20 yard play. With our run game and the aggressiveness of the backers we play, the middle zone is usually vacated and wide open for 10-12 yard easy completions.

That was a good sized Tight End Russell Wilson was throwing too also.

I remember seeing the TD pass to the TE in the Ole Miss game and I thought what a great play. Of course I don't think we ever saw that play again. Why would any good receiving TE want to come to Auburn when all you are going to be is a glorified offensive tackle.

11 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I remember seeing the TD pass to the TE in the Ole Miss game and I thought what a great play. Of course I don't think we ever saw that play again. Why would any good receiving TE want to come to Auburn when all you are going to be is a glorified offensive tackle.

I agree. Gus will have to develop a game plan to use them before they will come. Or they will have to abandon the prototypical TE and go after an Engram type player that is tall and can put some weight on but is much better running verticals to stretch the D that can occasionally hit them with a good crack block. A nice TE screen would fit into our scheme well I think...

23 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Au has to pass to the te before a highly ranked one will come 

Yes, why would any highly regarded TE want to come to Auburn? I agree with many of the other posters on this forum that Gus needs to use the TE much more in his offense.

On 12/5/2016 at 2:50 PM, autan said:

Maybe we need to develop a receiving TE.  If Kyle Davis would beef up a little say 20 pounds he could do it.  He's pretty physical, but he might not too keen on that idea. I've noticed our WR's don't block like UAT's (among other things).

I do NOT support this.

On 12/6/2016 at 2:53 PM, gravejd said:

agreed sign a 2 star OT with decent hands and call him a TE. That is pretty much what a TE is in our offense anyway. 

Good question.

Even Rhett after they passed to the TE against ole miss acknowledged that they don't do it enough...in round about words. They just like to set crap plays up in a deceptive gotcha moment versus developing a weapon. We all would prefer a weapon on the field that keeps them honest.

On 12/5/2016 at 4:50 PM, autan said:

This. I have always thought Kyle Davis had the size to play TE and the hands to play receiver . Like an Evan Ingram type player

27 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This. I have always thought Kyle Davis had the size to play TE and the hands to play receiver . Like an Evan Ingram type player

Keep an eye on Juco Salvatore Cannella. He is a tweener who can play a recieving TE & WR.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Keep an eye on Juco Salvatore Cannella. He is a tweener who can play a recieving TE & WR.

Awesome name. The Most interesting tight end in the world. Salvatore Cannella.

Without judging one way or another, the last media coverage I see for Landon Rice indicated he passed a polygraph, waived speedy trial (which as a former prosecutor I'd say is often a precursor to plea bargaining - but not necessarily) and his accuser withdrew her restraining order maintenance request. Understanding that whole innocent until proven guilty thing - but that we are also thankfully not FSU - does anybody know his status? Seems relevant to a TE discussion even if not for purposes of this recruiting season.

8 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Without judging one way or another, the last media coverage I see for Landon Rice indicated he passed a polygraph, waived speedy trial (which as a former prosecutor I'd say is often a precursor to plea bargaining - but not necessarily) and his accuser withdrew her restraining order maintenance request. Understanding that whole innocent until proven guilty thing - but that we are also thankfully not FSU - does anybody know his status? Seems relevant to a TE discussion even if not for purposes of this recruiting season.

He's at a juco in Mississippi and it's in Auburn University's hands on whether LR could ever come back, not the football staff. The University is the one who told LR to leave AU.

13 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Maybe somebody chould PM and explain to me how LR is not going to be behind bars for a while if he strikes a plea deal for rape

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Maybe somebody chould PM and explain to me how LR is not going to be behind bars for a while if he strikes a plea deal for rape

That's easy. He won't plead to rape.

Archived