AUF Anglers

11 hours ago, toddc said:

Or hook removal pliers! Lol

Did catch two 1 1/2 pounders on same cast with a shad rap a few years ago. Heavy reeling in but little fighting ability

• Like 2

On 3/5/2022 at 7:09 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Shad Rap was my “go to” when I bass fished often. Got tired of digging all six hooks out when biting aggressively. Went to ER twice in my younger day with lures lodged in me. Once in the hand and another in the knee. Worked out well because 10 years apart and due tetanus both visits. Last visit the doc instructed me on hook removal using fishing line and pressure on hook.

Uuggg had close to 5lber sling rat l trap into top of my hand on a 40 degree windy day. Luckily I didn't pull my hand back to avoid it and pulled right........I've been lucky not to bury past the barb.......unlike my brother catching a fly hook with his cheek(facial).

3 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Uuggg had close to 5lber sling rat l trap into top of my hand on a 40 degree windy day. Luckily I didn't pull my hand back to avoid it and pulled right........I've been lucky not to bury past the barb.......unlike my brother catching a fly hook with his cheek(facial).

My first ER trip was with an orange & blue rat l trap. Had fished it up off the bottom of a lake and back hook eyelet a little rusted. Went to lip a fish on it and back hooks broke from lure propelling front set into my thumb to the bone. Embarrassing walking in to ER with lure hanging from thumb.

Have a friend that fished all day tournament with a crank bait hanging from his leg calf. Early morning incident by his fishing partner. Went to ER after weigh in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Boat flipped a 4lb spot on a PopR in a tourny a few years back. Fish was in floor of boat and finally quit flopping. I reached to grab her and she jumped again and buried the hook well past barb in top of hand with fish still attached and going crazy. Not fun. I asked my partner to grab the fish and help me unhook it. I was bleeding like a stuck pig. He came to help, saw the blood and the situation, turned white as a ghost and fell back in the seat. Out like a light. I got her unhooked and in the livewell. Then got dikes and cut the treble hook. Took needle nose and threaded the hook the rest of the way thru. Got my trusty first aid kit and applied antiseptic and a band aid and continued to fish. Partner came to and asked what happened. Memorable. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Sissy 

I know, right? But hey, I did suck the blood first.

Edited by AUFAN78
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alexava said:

@AUFAN78 proud of this knucklehead. 

I know you are. They are doing great! Let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

On 3/7/2022 at 5:13 PM, AUFAN78 said:

Boat flipped a 4lb spot on a PopR in a tourny a few years back. Fish was in floor of boat and finally quit flopping. I reached to grab her and she jumped again and buried the hook well past barb in top of hand with fish still attached and going crazy. Not fun. I asked my partner to grab the fish and help me unhook it. I was bleeding like a stuck pig. He came to help, saw the blood and the situation, turned white as a ghost and fell back in the seat. Out like a light. I got her unhooked and in the livewell. Then got dikes and cut the treble hook. Took needle nose and threaded the hook the rest of the way thru. Got my trusty first aid kit and applied antiseptic and a band aid and continued to fish. Partner came to and asked what happened. Memorable. 

Holy Cow......I turned pail reading.

Those PopR hooks always been sharp as hell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Holy Cow......I turned pail reading.

Those PopR hooks always been sharp as hell.

Two things made better than when I was young……hooks and car tires.

• Haha 2

On 3/5/2022 at 11:52 AM, SaltyTiger said:

Need a little chop on the water and some clouds to catch fish most days, jmo.

Unless we're talking redfish. They'll eat anything at anytime in my parts. It's borderline cheating

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Unless we're talking redfish. They'll eat anything at anytime in my parts. It's borderline cheating

Only reason not to catch fish in your parts is because you don’t have a hook in the water.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m about to leave work in a few. I loaded the kayak in the truck yesterday. Everything is ready to go. If I don’t hit the wall (10 hour shifts) in  the next hour or so I’m going after some crappie. If I do hit it I will sleep about 3-4 hours then go. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, alexava said:

I’m about to leave work in a few. I loaded the kayak in the truck yesterday. Everything is ready to go. If I don’t hit the wall (10 hour shifts) in  the next hour or so I’m going after some crappie. If I do hit it I will sleep about 3-4 hours then go. 

Should be good ahead of front coming in. Headed down to Mexico Beach tomorrow for the week. Getting pretty cold there also so see what it does to them. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 12:27 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Two things madebetter than when I was young……hooks and car tires.

So didn't make em any duller than Johnson silver minnow and Snagless Sally's😆

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

So didn't make em any duller than Johnson silver minnow and Snagless Sally's😆

At my age every kids first reel was a Zebco 33. Worked cutting lawns one summer. Average yard was worth $2 or $3 per cut. Bought a Mitchell 300 spinning reel. Great reel. Wish you could still find them like that today. Best friend ordered one after seeing mine. Dropped it on concrete slab in carport when he was showing it. Broke the rod mount off. Mailed it back to Mitchell with letter explaining. They replaced the reel no charge. Reel cost $17 then. Vintage Ambassador 5500C with ss ball bearings another great one.

• Love 2

On 3/11/2022 at 2:47 PM, SaltyTiger said:

At my age every kids first reel was a Zebco 33. Worked cutting lawns one summer. Average yard was worth $2 or $3 per cut. Bought a Mitchell 300 spinning reel. Great reel. Wish you could still find them like that today. Best friend ordered one after seeing mine. Dropped it on concrete slab in carport when he was showing it. Broke the rod mount off. Mailed it back to Mitchell with letter explaining. They replaced the reel no charge. Reel cost $17 then. Vintage Ambassador 5500C with ss ball bearings another great one.

Those 33's are tough........My first reel was a Daiwa Magforce.........used the free line I received with my Bass subscription and taught myself how to cast and pick out a birds nest😆

To let you know how long ago it was I purchased it from Bass Pro Shops catalogue COD.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 9:11 PM, alexava said:

One of those days. Bites picked up about tip-off time. I should have kept fishing. 

132B0319-46C4-4AD9-9C18-31509E60160A.jpeg

That says it all😆

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is my personal best. 2/10oz. 3 will cost me some money. Quick kayak trip picked up 5. 4 hogs. About to eat!

2FFB6C1A-4550-41FA-968C-1C21DFED1D54.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, alexava said:

Well this is my personal best. 2/10oz. 3 will cost me some money. Quick kayak trip picked up 5. 4 hogs. About to eat!

2FFB6C1A-4550-41FA-968C-1C21DFED1D54.jpeg

Nice! Made a quick trip the other morning before front. Some good bass and one good crappie.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Nice! Made a quick trip the other morning before front. Some good bass and one good crappie.

Have to take the dog to the vet this morning. No wind today. Always something. I might try t fish a little later. Off all week.