AUF Anglers

6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Should I get a Daiwa Tatula CT-R or a Shimano Curado?

I am a Daiwa fan.

Fished a tourney yesterday at Lake Mitchell. Day started right with one almost 4lbs and another almost 5lbs and another right at 3lbs in 45 minutes. Caught another 2lb fish about a half hour to 5 minutes later. Struggled the remainder of the day never able to cull our last fish which only weighed 1 1/2lbs. All caught on swim jig and flipping a beaver. Ended day in 2nd place 14.76 and big fish 4.65.  First place was 16.13.

Tourney ended at 1PM so everyone could watch Iron Bowl. I only missed like the first few drives. Great game. WDE!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been nailing them lately on t rigged Yum Dingers. Black/blue and Junebug. Haven’t even touched a Senko in weeks. 

Been wearing out the pond that requires wading boots. I’ve started venturing further out into different parts of the pond, which gets me up to about thigh level water...I might invest in some true waders with Christmas money. 

The numbers are there, but the size has fallen off. But I’m fine with that for now, as long as they’re biting...because they sure aren’t at any of the other ponds I hit. 

Anyway, I caught a bowfin(I think) today in addition to 4 LMB. Glad I didn’t lip him when I reeled him in close. What a fighter too, I was sure I had a tank bass on the line until he got close. 3.2lbs.

EdVKUM3.jpg

Gp9ht7k.jpg

XnTPpMX.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 2

Waited on the roads to clear and took off to Lay Lake around 9. Water temps 52-56 degrees. Water starting to get some color. Jerk bait and jig all day. Caught a 2lb and 4lb within first 30 minutes on the jig and then they got tough. Both largemouth. Moved to some points with a jerk bait and picked up some small fish. Finally hit a point with decent fish. Caught two 3lb spots, one on jerk bait one on jig, and a couple small ones. Found two more points with some 2lb fish. Ended on a straight steep bank that had submerged trees. Caught two or three small ones and another 3lb largemouth on the jig. Best 5 right at 15lbs. Forgot to mention it was cold. 

Didn't even know this thread existed until today. :dunno:

Been an avid fisherman since I could walk. I'm going to go back thru reading the entire thread later.

Grew up fishing West Point  (when it was still a good largemouth factory) and Harding mainly bc they were close. 

Now I'm in Louisiana and fish Toledo Bend. If anyone is close and wants to wet a line PM me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Didn't even know this thread existed until today. :dunno:

Been an avid fisherman since I could walk. I'm going to go back thru reading the entire thread later.

Grew up fishing West Point  (when it was still a good largemouth factory) and Harding mainly bc they were close. 

Now I'm in Louisiana and fish Toledo Bend. If anyone is close and wants to wet a line PM me.

Please remember this is a family site VT............................:poke:

• Haha 2

West Point is still a good largemouth lake...you just have to target Highlands Marina up. The lower lake has a few but it's been taken over by spots and they aren't Coosa or even Lake Martin spots.

On 12/9/2017 at 8:33 PM, AUFAN78 said:

Waited on the roads to clear and took off to Lay Lake around 9. Water temps 52-56 degrees. Water starting to get some color. Jerk bait and jig all day. Caught a 2lb and 4lb within first 30 minutes on the jig and then they got tough. Both largemouth. Moved to some points with a jerk bait and picked up some small fish. Finally hit a point with decent fish. Caught two 3lb spots, one on jerk bait one on jig, and a couple small ones. Found two more points with some 2lb fish. Ended on a straight steep bank that had submerged trees. Caught two or three small ones and another 3lb largemouth on the jig. Best 5 right at 15lbs. Forgot to mention it was cold. 

That's not bad considering the transition.

7 hours ago, autigeremt said:

That's not bad considering the transition.

I was relatively pleased. You been lately?

On 12/11/2017 at 1:06 PM, autigeremt said:

West Point is still a good largemouth lake...you just have to target Highlands Marina up. The lower lake has a few but it's been taken over by spots and they aren't Coosa or even Lake Martin spots.

I'm aware, but it's nowhere near what it once was. The difference in water clarity over the years/decades there is night and day. With the water clarity like it is now, a good influx of grass would do wonders for that lake, but the Corps drawdowns would probably never allow it. 

Thinking about it, I need to do more fishing back home. Anyone frequent Eufaula or Wedowee? 

On December 11, 2017 at 7:58 PM, AUFAN78 said:

I was relatively pleased. You been lately?

I've been catching some nice spots on Lake Martin. Finished 5th in a 57 boat field a couple of weeks ago with 12.68 in spots. It's been taking 14-16 lately to win on Martin which is pretty good considering most of the fish are spots.

• Like 1

Fished a tourney on Lay Saturday. Ended in 3rd with 18+lbs. 2nd was a few ounces more and 1st just over 19lbs. Had one right at 5 1/2 for BF. Jerkbait and jigs key. Lost two over 4 that hurt. 

Went back Sunday, fished in basically an all day rain. Best 5 around 15/16lbs. Largemouth did not play, only catching one on jerkbait. The rest, all spots, came on jigs including a couple right at 4lbs. 

• 4 weeks later...

Fishing has been pretty good across the state if you want to brave the cold weather. In a tourney on the Alabama River last weekend I caught 18.7 and finished 7th. The winning bag....26.8lbs of spotted bass.

Nealy Henry a pair of anglers caught 28.11 on the same day...4 spots 1 largemouth.

I hope everyone is able to get out some....the winter weather is coming back this weekend but the fish haven't minded so far.

• Like 1

It’s barely been out of the 30s for the past month and the ponds I frequent froze over about a week ago until they thawed yesterday. Safe to say, I’ve been indoors a lot. It was 55 and overcast yesterday, so I went out and nada. 

Rain today. Snow in the forecast tomorrow. 

Not a productive winter, but I have been enjoying the cold otherwise.

53 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It’s barely been out of the 30s for the past month and the ponds I frequent froze over about a week ago until they thawed yesterday. Safe to say, I’ve been indoors a lot. It was 55 and overcast yesterday, so I went out and nada. 

Rain today. Snow in the forecast tomorrow. 

Not a productive winter, but I have been enjoying the cold otherwise.

You ever buy waders? Curious what you are looking at. 

6 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Fishing has been pretty good across the state if you want to brave the cold weather. In a tourney on the Alabama River last weekend I caught 18.7 and finished 7th. The winning bag....26.8lbs of spotted bass.

Nealy Henry a pair of anglers caught 28.11 on the same day...4 spots 1 largemouth.

I hope everyone is able to get out some....the winter weather is coming back this weekend but the fish haven't minded so far.

18.7 was a nice bag. Congrats!

Which lake? Largemouth or spots? How did you catch them? 

Another T out of Cooters took 22 to win and 19 2nd. 

Edited by AUFAN78

12 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

18.7 was a nice bag. Congrats!

Which lake? Largemouth or spots? How did you catch them? 

Another T out of Cooters took 22 to win and 19 2nd. 

I was on the AL River fishing up near Wetumpka catching them on crankbaits and jigs.

Fished a tourney on Jordan today. Cold and windy. 19lbs 1st, there were 2 - 17lb bags, and 3 - 16lb bags including ours. Did I mention cold and windy? Probably 10am before guides stopped freezing. 

Lost a big spot on our first stop. Lost several more. Always blame the wind.

All our fish caught on jigs. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally bagged my first bass for 2018. I’ve been out maybe 4 or 5 times(only twice this month) in almost two months(!). Between crazy season at work, the cold weather, ponds partially frozen, and being sick...it’s been quite s***ty for fishing.

VZ5gmgE.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I finally bagged my first bass for 2018. I’ve been out maybe 4 or 5 times(only twice this month) in almost two months(!). Between crazy season at work, the cold weather, ponds partially frozen, and being sick...it’s been quite s***ty for fishing.

VZ5gmgE.jpg

Caught two about like that in Auburn Christmas Eve. Coastal fishing inshore has been awful lately. Fish are hiding when normally great right now. Been cold for this part of world. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Caught two about like that in Auburn Christmas Eve. Coastal fishing inshore has been awful lately. Fish are hiding when normally great right now. Been cold for this part of world. 

Indeed. 

We’ve got a 10 hour offshore fishing trip scheduled in June in Biloxi targeting red snapper and shark. I’ve never been offshore fishing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Indeed. 

We’ve got a 10 hour offshore fishing trip scheduled in June in Biloxi targeting red snapper and shark. I’ve never been offshore fishing. 

That will be a fun trip. Rest assured you will limit on snapper for some groceries and have fun with sharks. Look forward to being tired that night.

I took a great 3 day trip awhile back from Biloxi out to the Chandeleur barrier islands, fishing heaven then but sure don't want to wade in a place like that. No shortage of Bull sharks.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

First time being out since 1/25. 2.9 lbs on a 6th Sense Live Bluegill squarebill. 

We were in prespawn this time last year. This weather has suuuucked. Of course our temps will be up for the next week, but rain is in the forecast for nearly every single day.

ixhx0V6.jpg

• Like 3