AUF Anglers

2 hours ago, autigeremt said:

West Point Lake this past Sunday. Striped Bass are running near the mouth of Wehadkee Creek.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, sunglasses, child, outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: 1 person, cloud, sky, ocean, outdoor, water and nature

Nice! If you see a 12# or plus bass on Wehadkee with a green Do Nothing 4" worm in the jaw. I lost her in 1986.

• Like 1

Random tournament winning weight reports from this past weekend. Five fish limits:

Martin 15lbs.

Jordan 18lbs.

Lay 24lbs.

Weiss 31lbs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Weiss...the hidden gem of Alabama. 

And heard BF of the 5 was barely 7lbs, so makes it even more impressive in my book.

• Like 1

I've caught some bigguns up there in the past. Great fishery.

2 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I've caught some bigguns up there in the past. Great fishery.

Never been. Heard some crazy stories though. Crazy crappie stories too.

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

Never been. Heard some crazy stories though. Crazy crappie stories too.

I caught a three pound crappie on a big square bill up there in 2014. Big slabs in that lake.

• Like 1

Fished Lay yesterday. Got on the water about 8 am and immediately caught 3 on a jerkbait at my first stop and one on a spinnerbait. All spotted bass between 2 3/4 and 4 lbs. Struggled for the next couple hours before catching a nice 4lb largemouth on a shaky head. Again struggled a while before catching another largemouth on a squarebill. Went thru another dry spell before moving to a cove with 54 degree water where I caught 4 largemouth on a red eye shad. Left them biting. Best 5 17/18lbs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

Fished Lay yesterday. Got on the water about 8 am and immediately caught 3 on a jerkbait at my first stop and one on a spinnerbait. All spotted bass between 2 3/4 and 4 lbs. Struggled for the next couple hours before catching a nice 4lb largemouth on a shaky head. Again struggled a while before catching another largemouth on a squarebill. Went thru another dry spell before moving to a cove with 54 degree water where I caught 4 largemouth on a red eye shad. Left them biting. Best 5 17/18lbs.  

Where's the pics? ;)

I just stumbled on to this thread. Sure has been fun reading it.  I love to fish but have not do so in about 7 years.  The kind of fishing I did for 20 years was smallmouth fishing on Pickwick and Wilson in North Alabama.  Those two rivers are world class for smallies.  People from all over the country come to fish there. 

I live in Bham.  I would get up at 3 am, drive up to Florence, fish all day, then head home.  It was physically exhausting and I got to the point I could not keep up that routine.  I would carry a bunch of rods with artificials on them (fav was various spinnerbaits).  I also had a professional livewell in my boat and would catch shad with a castnet and use them.  I used 6 pound line for livebait fishing.  I have caught a lot of 6 pound smallies, but never a seven or above. Did have a couple at 6'10".

I used to fish for largemouths and spots at various lakes around Bham, but I turned into a smallmouth fisherman.  It gets into your blood.  Smallies are so strong.  If you tied, for example, a 5 pound smallie by its tail to a 5 pound largemouth, the smallie would drown the largemouth.  A spot would do better than a largemouth, but would still lose to the smallie.  

Oh, don't let anyone tell you that smallies only hit small artificials   Not so!  I always used big spinnerbaits, with the weight depending on the current  and if there is no current running, just pack up and go home  smallies love current!

Spring and fall are the best times.  And always check with the TVA for the water release schedules  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Where's the pics? ;)

I have some. Let me see if I can do a bit of editing and throw a few out there for you. Quite secretive about these locations, so I have to do some zoom work. ;D

Beautiful day on the coast. Flounder being caught like crazy in the bays. Sunday lazy surf fishing = lots of bonnet sharks. 

Anyone like to eat fish? IMHO can not beat crappie or bream with fresh grouper # 2. flounder pretty great and easy to catch.

Fished Lay today. Another late start. Becoming my norm. Got on the water around 8:30 and caught a 10lb catfish on a red redeye shad almost immediately. Went about an hour before catching my first bass around 2 1/2lb on a senko wacky rig. A short time later I caught the best fish of the day a 6lb head on a chatterbait. Toad!  Caught a couple small fish on a the redeye over the next couple hours then around noon it heated up. Caught a 4 1/2, 2 1/2, then a 2 3/4, then missed a monster all on swimjig. Then one around 2lb on the chatterbait and then a spot on the chatterbait around 2lbs. Missed a couple more good ones on the swim jig in the flurry. Best 5 a bit over 18lbs. Saw water temps up to 60 degrees. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

65+Fished Lay today. Another late start. Becoming my norm. Got on the water around 8:30 and caught a 10lb catfish on a red redeye shad almost immediately. Went about an hour before catching my first bass around 2 1/2lb on a senko wacky rig. A short time later I caught the best fish of the day a 6lb head on a chatterbait. Toad!  Caught a couple small fish on a the redeye over the next couple hours then around noon it heated up. Caught a 4 1/2, 2 1/2, then a 2 3/4, then missed a monster all on swimjig. Then one around 2lb on the chatterbait and then a spot on the chatterbait around 2lbs. Missed a couple more good ones on the swim jig in the flurry. Best 5 a bit over 18lbs. Saw water temps up to 60 degrees. 

To much wind here to consider bay fishing or off-shore the past few days. Place called Depot Creek with crappie slabs. Friend brought some to me ( filleted and ready.)

Did you mount the whiskers?^-^  

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - Anyone headed to the Panama City area in March, April and want a fun day of fishing. Drive 98 to Mexico Beach/Port St Joe. About half way (4 miles from Mexico Beach) you will see that 98 was re routed for a new development (Windmark), Veers away from the coast. There is a nice parking lot there with great access to the water. Bring medium spinning tackle and fish an Unfair lure or any small RattleTrap type while wading. You will have a blast. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

FYI - Anyone headed to the Panama City area in March, April and want a fun day of fishing. Drive 98 to Mexico Beach/Port St Joe. About half way (4 miles from Mexico Beach) you will see that 98 was re routed for a new development (Windmark), Veers away from the coast. There is a nice parking lot there with great access to the water. Bring medium spinning tackle and fish an Unfair lure or any small RattleTrap type while wading. You will have a blast. 

half way meaning between Mexico Beach and PSJ. Also, no crowds and beautiful beach running to St Joe Bay

• 2 weeks later...

16997885_1188076097976375_64689376239768

Lake Jordan Feb. 25th. 5.25 lbs on the Largemouth.

Edited by autigeremt
  • Like 2

17264949_1206357576148227_75017022705896

Lake Jordan March 11th fishing in a field of 51 boats. Came away in 13th place with a five fish limit in at 13.50lbs including this 4.5lb largemouth and a 3.48 spotted bass. Had another 3lb largemouth and a couple of decent spotted bass.

• Like 2

Hey guys. I have a friend that has a Fishing Club near Fayette, AL with 2 lakes/ponds on 15 acres. He is trying to look into liability insurance similar to hunting club insurance for his club. It is an incorporated entity. 25-30 members. Anyone know anything about this type of insurance or where to find it?

Congrats to AU grads Jordan Lee and Steve Kennedy who finished 1st and 2nd respectively in the Bass Masters Classic. Awesome job gentlemen and WDE!!!

• Like 4

I haven't caught anything in 3 weeks. Driving me bonkers. Had one take my jig and try to run with it, but the weed guard prevented a proper hookset. Pretty decent sized fish too, which made it that much more frustrating. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

16 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Congrats to AU grads Jordan Lee and Steve Kennedy who finished 1st and 2nd respectively in the Bass Masters Classic. Awesome job gentlemen and WDE!!!

Wow.

Anglers U?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Got the skunk off my back and pulled in some (small)bass. Also got a fair sized crappie. 1.67lbs, ~13 inches. 

zOB4HNH.jpg

A nice black!

• Like 1