AUF Anglers

On 3/26/2017 at 8:31 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

I haven't caught anything in 3 weeks. Driving me bonkers. Had one take my jig and try to run with it, but the weed guard prevented a proper hookset. Pretty decent sized fish too, which made it that much more frustrating. 

You sure it was the weed guard? Many factors affect a proper hookset, but at the top of the list is the rod. I'd say 2nd is having a semi tight line and third mechanics. The last two synonymous. I've seen weed guards cause problems or at least suspected as much, but could never prove it. I've also seen plastics ball up on the hook causing misses. But I go back to my list as causes for most of my misses or most I've witnessed.

10 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

You sure it was the weed guard? Many factors affect a proper hookset, but at the top of the list is the rod. I'd say 2nd is having a semi tight line and third mechanics. The last two synonymous. I've seen weed guards cause problems or at least suspected as much, but could never prove it. I've also seen plastics ball up on the hook causing misses. But I go back to my list as causes for most of my misses or most I've witnessed.

It's not a typical jig weed guard. It has a piece of plastic attached to the hook by way of a little rubber grommet(came in a Mystery Tackle Box). I'll take a picture of it later today. But it could have been what you also mentioned. 

Edit:

From Google images:

m-pack-jig-weed-guard.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It's not a typical jig weed guard. It has a piece of plastic attached to the hook by way of a little rubber grommet(came in a Mystery Tackle Box). I'll take a picture of it later today. But it could have been what you also mentioned. 

Edit:

From Google images:

m-pack-jig-weed-guard.jpg

I have not tried that one. Looks like a Mark Pack jig. I like it though or at least the concept. 

4 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I have not tried that one. Looks like a Mark Pack jig. I like it though or at least the concept. 

If I had adjusted the guard a bit, the hook could've/should've set. I adjusted it after the fact. 

Crappie seem to be digging the bass lure more than actual bass lately. Maybe someone can answer me, is this fish pregnant or really enjoying eating?

DNgrVqx.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

On 3/28/2017 at 11:11 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Keep your eyes down, everyone. They're starting to pop up. 

g0PB9Wx.jpg

A water moccasin bit my dog last week.

Snakes are not always my friends.

Like guns, unless you know better, treat them like they're loaded. 

Hopin' Annie learned somethin'? (she's OK).

19 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Crappie seem to be digging the bass lure more than actual bass lately. Maybe someone can answer me, is this fish pregnant or really enjoying eating?

DNgrVqx.jpg

I think the old girl is about ready to spawn. If I'd caught her and a handful more I could speak with certainty as she'd be filleted and soaking in grease. ;D

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

I think the old girl is about ready to spawn. If I'd caught her and a handful more I could speak with certainty as she'd be filleted and soaking in grease. ;D

I didn't even notice her belly until I looked at the picture after I released her. Crappie can be a bit of a disappointment when hoping for bass, but they sure are fun to catch. 

54 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

A water moccasin bit my dog last week.

Snakes are not always my friends.

Like guns, unless you know better, treat them like they're loaded. 

Hopin' Annie learned somethin'? (she's OK).

Glad your dog is okay. I joined a snake identification group on FB recently, and they said this particular snake was a "harmless" water snake. In addition to that, joining that group has certainly made me more observant. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Glad your dog is okay. I joined a snake identification group on FB recently, and they said this particular snake was a "harmless" water snake. In addition to that, joining that group has certainly made me more observant. 

Even non-poisonous snake-bites are not "harmless." They don't brush their teeth, and potential for very nasty infections there.

Semper vigilans.

22 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Even non-poisonous snake-bites are not "harmless." They don't brush their teeth, and potential for very nasty infections there.

Semper vigilans.

They consider anything non-venomous as "harmless". 

5 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

They consider anything non-venomous as "harmless". 

Stepped on a Cottonmouth and bitten when I was 11 or 12. Back in the day that meant a 5 day hospital stay. Bit me on the ball of my foot. Iced my entire leg for three days the heat for two days. Go figure. Entire leg swelled and turned blue. Treatment probably hurt me more than the bite. 

Got my PB bass today at 4.74lbs. Previous PB was 4.05lbs. Caught on my usual lipless crankbait, that was missing a barb(last PB was also caught on this). Fought like a champ, I almost dove in after him because I was terrified he'd pop off, but I hooked him in the fattest part of his lower lip. 

After a truly rough March, April is starting out seemingly well. It was so windy and "cold" today, I almost bailed; but I decided to find a little cove surrounded by trees that gave a break from the wind.  

Heres my face.

E6FGlbP.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Got my PB bass today at 4.74lbs. Previous PB was 4.05lbs. Caught on my usual lipless crankbait, that was missing a barb(last PB was also caught on this). Fought like a champ, I almost dove in after him because I was terrified he'd pop off, but I hooked him in the fattest part of his lower lip. 

After a truly rough March, April is starting out seemingly well. It was so windy and "cold" today, I almost bailed; but I decided to find a little cove surrounded by trees that gave a break from the wind.  

Heres my face.

E6FGlbP.jpg

Woo-hoo! Congrats!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

And if we're still on the topic of snakes, I found a skin near this fallen log. 

VleY7kb.jpg

Memories.

As a child, camping on Fish River, South Ala., sitting on the bank, leaning back against a pine reading Tolkein,

A moccasin crawled across my outstretched bare ankles/shins. Was shedding, blind with skin flapped over its eyes, and I suppressed the strong urge to flinch. Snake wandered on.

Congrats on your bass above.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 7:34 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Heres my face.

E6FGlbP.jpg

Congrats, March has been rough in terms of wind here on the coast. Tough to get out.

• Like 1

So is the LMB mating ritual typically a violent one? I watched 2 or 3 bass swirling and thrashing about right on the bank today. They couldn't have been less interested in my lure(s), and I didn't see any sort of bait fish in the vicinity, so I'm near positive they weren't trying to feed. 

13 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

So is the LMB mating ritual typically a violent one? I watched 2 or 3 bass swirling and thrashing about right on the bank today. They couldn't have been less interested in my lure(s), and I didn't see any sort of bait fish in the vicinity, so I'm near positive they weren't trying to feed. 

Congrats on that bass, Shocks! There's nothing like a solid hookset against a big fish.

Headed to the Smoky's in NC in June. I got a hot tip from a trout fisherman for a river to fish up there. Any fly fishermen here? I've played around with fly gear before, but never seriously. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on my post for the Gaston's trout trip a few days ago. I'm still processing the whole trip  

In lieu, here's a 3lb I caught today on a black/blue spinner.

SM9Qxbi.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1