AUF Anglers

QS2lf60.jpg

3.2 lbs, saw it crashing the bank a few feet out. It was so windy, I had to cast into the wind and inland just to get into its zone. 

Another bloody tailed bass. Female or male?

And as an aside--yes, that is an Auburn last rolling of Toomer's commemorative shirt from A Day. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

If that's at Johnson park, I think they had the catfish rodeo last week.  Should still be plenty in there.

3 hours ago, The Freak said:

If that's at Johnson park, I think they had the catfish rodeo last week.  Should still be plenty in there.

They did...and how did you know? Are you from the area? 

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

They did...and how did you know? Are you from the area? 

Yeah, my kids and I used to fish there.  I loved it.  They don't fish much anymore, so neither do I.  

Yup, I just admitted that I'm too lazy to fish.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Yeah, my kids and I used to fish there.  I loved it.  They don't fish much anymore, so neither do I.  

Yup, I just admitted that I'm too lazy to fish.

Welcome. I'm occupying a seat right next to you.

• 4 weeks later...

Soooo...assuming bass fishing has been rough for everyone else? Pond water temps are definitely approaching bath water temps. My pool is 85, and the ponds are definitely warmer, so the bass have moved deeper. 

Crankbaits seem to be a foregone conclusion around midday. I've been tossing the Senkos around more often and having some success. But soft plastics really aren't my preference.

Needing some tips for this stupid heat. I'm not not catching fish, but the size and frequency of bite has been way down. 

Anyway, here's one in the 2-2.5 range I picked out of group preying on schooling shad on a watermelon Senko on Monday. 

pCDdxzV.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

No, but I would like to learn for sure. 

I've only been 2 or three times. The last trip we fished 3 or 4 days, so I finally started to get the hang of it. It's really not very difficult to pick up on the general casting concepts, and once you get them down, it really is a lot of fun. Just really therapeutic, and I've always loved being on a river. On that trip, I fished with someone else's rod. So, I think I'm about to buy my own, which is why I asked the question. You'd love it, and you aren't very far from some great fishing in Arkansas. 

Edited by Barnacle

53 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I've only been 2 or three times. The last trip we fished 3 or 4 days, so I finally started to get the hang of it. It's really not very difficult to pick up on the general casting concepts, and once you get them down, it really is a lot of fun. Just really therapeutic, and I've always loved being on a river. On that trip, I fished with someone else's rod. So, I think I'm about to buy my own, which is why I asked the question. You'd love it, and you aren't very far from some great fishing in Arkansas. 

The initial cost of reel and specifically a good rod are making me shy away from buying a setup. We're heading back to the White River in January to fish for browns, so I might put it on my Christmas list. 

The eastern part of TN also has some trout fishing, as well as river smallmouth(I believe). 

10 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

The initial cost of reel and specifically a good rod are making me shy away from buying a setup. We're heading back to the White River in January to fish for browns, so I might put it on my Christmas list. 

The eastern part of TN also has some trout fishing, as well as river smallmouth(I believe). 

I've read incredible things about this rod: 

http://www.tridentflyfishing.com/fenwick-aetos-fly-rod.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwhMjKBRDjxb31j-aesI4BEiQA7ivN-CgRtrxg9hOExiXfuBHsVacvYxYe9WMiY73LMqhoa5QaAnpa8P8HAQ

and you can get it completely outfitted with a reel for under $400.00 here

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/featured-products/best-buy-5-weight-outfit.html

• Like 1

@ShocksMyBrain I probably should purchase that Fenwick, but I think I'm going to spend just a little bit more on this Douglas rod: 

http://douglasoutdoors.com/dxf-series-rods/

You can get one off of ebay right now for $350, and it includes a $75.00 fly line. Also some good deals on ebay right now on some reels. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

@ShocksMyBrain I probably should purchase that Fenwick, but I think I'm going to spend just a little bit more on this Douglas rod: 

http://douglasoutdoors.com/dxf-series-rods/

You can get one off of ebay right now for $350, and it includes a $75.00 fly line. Also some good deals on ebay right now on some reels. 

Would think good line a must. Have had some bad experiences trying to fly fish because the line actually sank a bit.

6 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Would think good line a must. Have had some bad experiences trying to fly fish because the line actually sank a bit.

I would think so too. 

but @ShocksMyBrain is right. I've been researching into this for a few days, and the up front costs for fly fishing are pretty extreme. Granted there are some great set ups for around $400.00, but that's considered a value package. Top tier rods cost anywhere from $600-$1000, and top tier reels aren't cheap either. 

I've just got to realize that I don't know enough to tell a difference. At the same time, I want to buy something I will have for a long time. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I would think so too. 

but @ShocksMyBrain is right. I've been researching into this for a few days, and the up front costs for fly fishing are pretty extreme. Granted there are some great set ups for around $400.00, but that's considered a value package. Top tier rods cost anywhere from $600-$1000, and top tier reels aren't cheap either. 

I've just got to realize that I don't know enough to tell a difference. At the same time, I want to buy something I will have for a long time. 

Wow, was about to suggest a value package when thinking $400 to much. You guys would shame me for the fly rig my son bought and left with me. 

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Wow, was about to suggest a value package when thinking $400 to much. You guys would shame me for the fly rig my son bought and left with me. 

Well I know saltwater set ups aren't cheap, either. 

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Well I know saltwater set ups aren't cheap, either. 

No, but most of my fishing is inshore, and regulars at it use a decent value reel vs the high end stuff because of the harsh conditions. I would never take my better bass rigs to the bay or surf for a morning. Most important thing here is have the drag set right and flushing all with fresh water after use. Bill Dance had a good piece on setting your drag years ago for any type of fishing. On setting the drag the rod comes into play. Stand up and drop the line with lure to the ground. With a foot on the bait pull the rod up and adjust drag until line easily and smoothly comes off the reel.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

By my niece Saturday out of Orange Beach. 7' estimated 375 to 400#

IMG_0031.JPG

Not sure of her standards, but looks like a keeper.

• Like 1