AUF Anglers

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

H20 Xpress is what I use for cranks. I’ve tried the expensive ones, but I’m also good at getting hung on structure. The hooks aren’t the best, but I’ve had tremendous success with them. My wallet can handle losing a $3 lure. 

H20 Xpress hooks are on the thin side, however they are very sharp............reached in my net several years back and had a little over 6lber shake lure into the top of my hand......did I mention it was windy and just over 40 degrees?.......luckily it missed the veins in the top of my hand and didnt sink past the barbs........oooo it also hurt like hell?

Honestly I have caught more bass on my H20 than I have on my KVD's............for the price can nearly buy 2 for the price of 1 KVD? 

• Like 1

What kind of trolling motor batteries do you use?  It has been a while since I have had to replace the trolling motor batteries on my Ranger and I have lost track of what decent batteries are now days.  I don’t fish nearly as much as I used to and don’t need the top of line batteries.  In addition to replacing the deep cycle batteries, I will probably replace the cranking battery. 

Suggestions for both type of batteries would be appreciated. 

Thanks a bunch!

25 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

What kind of trolling motor batteries do you use?  It has been a while since I have had to replace the trolling motor batteries on my Ranger and I have lost track of what decent batteries are now days.  I don’t fish nearly as much as I used to and don’t need the top of line batteries.  In addition to replacing the deep cycle batteries, I will probably replace the cranking battery. 

Thanks a bunch!

Years ago I had good luck with Stowaway batteries..............I like Optima Yellowtop........Bluetop is their marine battery.......Yellowtop has 3 year free replacement......Bluetop I believe has 2 year free.

Last Bluetop I used for a Bass Hunter that I would use at Millry State Lake........You were only allowed to only use trolling motor........Powered my Minn Kota Rip Tide and my Eagle Ultra Classic plus......Would troll around 84 acre lake from 6am to 6pm with no problems.......end of the day had plenty of juice to spare?

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 9:02 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Do you use a trailer hook on your buzzbaits? I’ve gotten several blowups, but I’m not hooking any. 

And RIP to my buzzbait today. Chunked it out, and the knot somehow broke on the cast. 

If you are not fishing around heavy vegetation use trailer hooks. 

On 6/6/2018 at 4:57 AM, kevon67 said:

No.........I do use a split tail trailer from Zoom..........If I get several blow ups first thing I do is slow down retrieve or throw something slow sinking like a Senko where I had the blow up and have good results..........I do like a trailer hook on spinnerbaits.

What type of knot you use?

While there are lots of knots out there I only use 3..........Trilene knot is my favorite follwed by improved clinch knot........I use Rapala knot when throwing jerkbaits.........I've tried a Palomar knot but trilene and improved clinch have worked since I was a kid?

Palomar for mono filament and braid. San Diego for fluorocarbon. 

4 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

Thanks a bunch!

I use Interstate 31 for cranking and 27 for trolling and electronics.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I use Interstate batteries in my cars.  Make sense to use them on my boat.  Thanks. 

Been fishing bass tournaments for years. Run my boat hard. They work.

• Like 1

I agree with the above on Interstate........owned in the early 90's in my pickup.......left lights on in 34 degree weather at the mall 10am when I got back to my truck 9pm I was panicked ........never turned off lights.......vehicle literally fired up with little effort.

May be a tad bit more expensive but certainly cant go wrong.......only other marine battery I have used is the old Nautalis battery by Exide.......not even sure if they still make them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first deep sea fishing experience. 6 person, 10 hour. We limited out on our snapper in a couple hours. Caught a couple triggerfish, but out of season so we had to toss them back. Few Spanish mackerel and a couple jack crevalle. 

The jack crevalle fight was intense. Never knew a fish so “small” could fight so hard. 

Overall, I think I’ll stick with freshwater. 

hDk3651.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 6/18/2018 at 9:30 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Had my first deep sea fishing experience. 6 person, 10 hour. We limited out on our snapper in a couple hours. Caught a couple triggerfish, but out of season so we had to toss them back. Few Spanish mackerel and a couple jack crevalle. 

The jack crevalle fight was intense. Never knew a fish so “small” could fight so hard. 

hDk3651.jpg

Crevalle is fun. fish salt most of the time now but with you 100% on fresh water. interesting, most of the charter captains i know here choose to bream or crappie fish for their pleasure and table fare. if they happen to catch a bass call it a bonus fish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the temps in Memphis hitting and staying in the 90s, I’m giving up on the midday bite. All about that morning fishing right now. 

7 this morning. 

NnfWdKw.jpg

3 yesterday morning 

ELuhzCl.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:30 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

hDk3651.jpg

I agree there's something about bass fishing for me........tricking a bass with a lure just does it for me.........also the fact I have been chasing a 10lber for 40 years keeps me in the fight?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Probably one of the meanest, most badassed fish I’ve ever caught. Fought like a champ despite his perceived size. Obvious eye trauma, not caused by me. I hope this brute can keep on living.

OxLjL8N.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

I agree there's something about bass fishing for me........tricking a bass with a lure just does it for me.........also the fact I have been chasing a 10lber for 40 years keeps me in the fight?

Right?! Anyone can drop a hook loaded with bait and land a beast. But I figure bass fishing requires a bit more skill and intuition. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right after spawn usually a couple of weeks after I have had 2.5 lbs nearly rip rod out of my hand............much fun.

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Right?! Anyone can drop a hook loaded with bait and land a beast. But I figure bass fishing requires a bit more skill and intuition. 

Exactly we could be fishing side by side with the same lure and the difference in our totals may come down to best presentation of that lure.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, kevon67 said:

Right after spawn usually a couple of weeks after I have had 2.5 lbs nearly rip rod out of my hand............much fun.

We should be well out of post spawn now. But I know what you’re talking about. Caught a “giant” 3lb a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

We should be well out of post spawn now. But I know what you’re talking about. Caught a “giant” 3lb a few weeks ago. 

Yes sir I imagine a good month or so by now.........In my 40 year chase of the 10lber I have caught a few they may have went 10 had it been caught pre-spawn?..........I hope you keep nailing that early morning bite look forward to your pics when you post?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Yes sir I imagine a good month or so by now.........In my 40 year chase of the 10lber I have caught a few they may have went 10 had it been caught pre-spawn?..........I hope you keep nailing that early morning bite look forward to your pics when you post?

I have never caught that one either. Plenty 7,8, and a couple of 9's. Lost what I know was one in the late 80's on West Point Lake. If you catch a big bass on Wehadkee Creek with a green do-nuthin worm in her mouth....she was mine.

• Love 1

Fishing early morning last week from pier on Logan Martin. Initially thought I had a monster catfish on my line.....FOURTY EIGHT POUNF  T U R T L E. RELEASED. Heck of a fight. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kevon67 said:

zE71iR7.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2