AUF Anglers

4 hours ago, WarTim said:

Fishing early morning last week from pier on Logan Martin. Initially thought I had a monster catfish on my line.....FOURTY EIGHT POUNF  T U R T L E. RELEASED. Heck of a fight. 

Holy cow!!!!!!!!!! Good thing you weren't noodlin?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Do not buy H20 Express 4/0 EWG worm hooks. I lost several today despite solid hook sets. I’ve never had problems with the 5/0. But I guess I’m just going to go with Mustad or Gamakatsu from now on—even though the H20 Express 20pk is like $5. 

Anyhow. One that did stay pinned was this 4lb brute. 

kYeCLXT.jpg

Nm5V7RC.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Do not buy H20 Express 4/0 EWG worm hooks. I lost several today despite solid hook sets. I’ve never had problems with the 5/0. But I guess I’m just going to go with Mustad or Gamakatsu from now on—even though the H20 Express 20pk is like $5. 

Anyhow. One that did stay pinned was this 4lb brute. 

kYeCLXT.jpg

Nm5V7RC.jpg

Gamakatsu has never let me down.........I often use 5/0 wide gap to keep smaller bass from getting deep hooked

45 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Gamakatsu has never let me down.........I often use 5/0 wide gap to keep smaller bass from getting deep hooked

I stepped down to 4/0 from 5/0 recently. Kept getting missed hookups. Dialed back to Mustad 4/0 Lucky Tackle Box hooks and slammed them. 

“Okay so 4/0 is the way to go? Save money on the 20pk H2O Xpress”. Mistake. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will retract my complaints on the 4/0 H20 Xpress hooks. My troubles were either from that specific hook or my own hooksets. 

Regardless, landed 4 in about 20 minutes on a t rigged green pumpkin Senko. 4.3 being the largest. 

ZHleVo2.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My son has joined us on the school bass fishing team/ club.  I quit bassin decades ago but kept a reasonable amount of tackle. He’s loving it but having trouble backlashing. I’m probably going to get him a better reel , shimano but might get a spinning reel or two also. Do any of you bass fisherman use spinning reels you can recommend? 40$ -50$ range. I’m glad he is interested. He doesn’t stay interested crappie fishing all day like I do. But this damn heat is brutal when you got a 13 year old wanting to fish all day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexava said:

My son has joined us on the school bass fishing team/ club.  I quit bassin decades ago but kept a reasonable amount of tackle. He’s loving it but having trouble backlashing. I’m probably going to get him a better reel , shimano but might get a spinning reel or two also. Do any of you bass fisherman use spinning reels you can recommend? 40$ -50$ range. I’m glad he is interested. He doesn’t stay interested crappie fishing all day like I do. But this damn heat is brutal when you got a 13 year old wanting to fish all day. 

Pflueger President

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/pflueger-reels-spinning-reels/pflueger-president-spinning-reel/1430660.html

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

My middle daughter is on the high school fishing team this year.  This is her first one of the tournament, too bad it was an under.

187F6207-26DA-4387-955F-C30362EA57A1.jpeg

We have to fish one tournament this fall to qualify for the season next spring. Not sure which I’ll fish. I have never fished (bass fishing) any other than wheeler lake. 

2 hours ago, alexava said:

We have to fish one tournament this fall to qualify for the season next spring. Not sure which I’ll fish. I have never fished (bass fishing) any other than wheeler lake. 

Yeah we fished Guntersville so we’d be qualified for the spring.  We do have a tournament in December, but not sure where it will be yet.

1 hour ago, AUatHeart said:

Yeah we fished Guntersville so we’d be qualified for the spring.  We do have a tournament in December, but not sure where it will be yet.

We have 6 or 7 more this fall. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/12/2018 at 8:23 PM, alexava said:

We have 6 or 7 more this fall. 

We fished Wilson last week. If the weather doesn’t break I ain’t fishing no mo. 

• Haha 1

Has anyone ever replaced boat carpet? Replacing depth finder is a pain in the ass. This is a G3 boat but I think they all purposely build them this way. It would be so easy to design a conduit path for electronic upgrades. The old Garmin that was in it new was zip tied to all the other cables making it impossible to remove it without cutting it into peices. Anyway I had to remove one deck panel to get this done. The whole boat needs new carpet but I’m just doing a section at a time and I’ll screw this particular panel back in leaving the screws on top of the carpet in the event I need access again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:48 PM, alexava said:

Has anyone ever replaced boat carpet? Replacing depth finder is a pain in the ass. This is a G3 boat but I think they all purposely build them this way. It would be so easy to design a conduit path for electronic upgrades. The old Garmin that was in it new was zip tied to all the other cables making it impossible to remove it without cutting it into peices. Anyway I had to remove one deck panel to get this done. The whole boat needs new carpet but I’m just doing a section at a time and I’ll screw this particular panel back in leaving the screws on top of the carpet in the event I need access again. 

I'm needing to replace the carpet and electronics in my Triton and I'm not looking forward to it.  Expensive and a pain in the butt.

How do you like the G3?  I've actually been thinking about trading in the Triton for one of the new aluminum models.  Got any pros and cons for me?

31 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

I'm needing to replace the carpet and electronics in my Triton and I'm not looking forward to it.  Expensive and a pain in the butt.

How do you like the G3?  I've actually been thinking about trading in the Triton for one of the new aluminum models.  Got any pros and cons for me?

Mine is a 2004 model. 165. Kinda narrow in the front. I bought it in 2011 for 4500$ it had only been in the water 6 times. I didn’t really need or want one but I just couldn’t turn it down for the value I got. It wil never be worth less than that. The depreciation kind of has a floor. I was offered more for it later. The only problem with it was sun damage. I just had the seats recovered. I like it but my only comparison is to tiller handle flat bottom boats. 

32 minutes ago, alexava said:

Mine is a 2004 model. 165. Kinda narrow in the front. I bought it in 2011 for 4500$ it had only been in the water 6 times. I didn’t really need or want one but I just couldn’t turn it down for the value I got. It wil never be worth less than that. The depreciation kind of has a floor. I was offered more for it later. The only problem with it was sun damage. I just had the seats recovered. I like it but my only comparison is to tiller handle flat bottom boats. 

Gotcha!  Don't blame you at all for not turning that deal down.  The only thing I've heard negative so far is that they don't ride as smooth as fiberglass boats due to the weight difference.  I can live with a little rougher ride when you can get them under half the price of a new fiberglass boat.

I found out that our team will be fishing at Pickwick in December for the High School BASS association.

46 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

Gotcha!  Don't blame you at all for not turning that deal down.  The only thing I've heard negative so far is that they don't ride as smooth as fiberglass boats due to the weight difference.  I can live with a little rougher ride when you can get them under half the price of a new fiberglass boat.

I found out that our team will be fishing at Pickwick in December for the High School BASS association.

I’m more about fishing than riding but I can’t do 30-60k on a boat. There are several in these tournaments that make your head spin. Just one I checked out briefly had 3 graphs about the size of a 17 inch pc monitor and two of them hydraulic anchor poles. Probably 20k in accessories or more....

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I’m more about fishing than riding but I can’t do 30-60k on a boat. There are several in these tournaments that make your head spin. Just one I checked out briefly had 3 graphs about the size of a 17 inch pc monitor and two of them hydraulic anchor poles. Probably 20k in accessories or more....

Yeah, my step brothers boat is decked out like that.  I told him that it looks like he has a dang big screen tv on the front of it.

19 hours ago, alexava said:

I don’t even like bass fishing. I’m a crappie chaser just doing it for my kid. 

I'm with you on that too.  I found out that we have two tourneys on Weiss this year, so I told my daughter that while her and Clent were bass fishing I was going to be crappie fishing off the back of the boat :)

• Haha 1

Our last two fall tournaments are on guntersville. I was hoping to get out of work to fish one. But now we have a math grade that needs attention. I decided last night to seek a tutor. So we might put fishing aside till spring unless there’s some quick improvement! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

I'm with you on that too.  I found out that we have two tourneys on Weiss this year, so I told my daughter that while her and Clent were bass fishing I was going to be crappie fishing off the back of the boat :)

You mean to tell me there is bass in Weiss Lake😁

• Like 1

Pickwick in December can be awesome!  Double bladed willow leaf spinnerbaits.  Weight depends on current.  Points, rip-rap and humps.  Worms can produce, but tourny fishing means throwing stuff to cover more water. Pickwick is my favorite. 

If the TVA draws down the water, be very careful running!  Lots of rocks.  I would also tell you that if the current is not running, fishing could be real tough. 

Good luck. 

Edited by Mike4AU
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

Pickwick in December can be awesome!  Double bladed willow leaf spinnerbaits.  Weight depends on current.  Points, rip-rap and humps.  Worms can produce, but tourny fishing means throwing stuff to cover more water. Pickwick is my favorite. 

If the TVA draws down the water, be very careful running!  Lots of rocks.  I would also tell you that if the current is not running, fishing could be real tough. 

Good luck. 

Thanks!