AUF Anglers

Well I was able to race the sun and get a few casts in...and I caught a damn carp. I've never caught one of these. Is it big? Felt like it was 8-10 pounds. Didn't fight like a bass, so I knew it wasn't one. Thought it might be a cat when I saw it's dorsal come out. 

How are you supposed to grip these things? He wasn't happy and I just unhooked him while he was in the water when he finally calmed down.

rmMqlKf.jpg

ye9X93M.jpg

23 hours ago, autigeremt said:

We need to partner up for a day on that lake. I'm hit and miss on Lay and I need some time on the water with a local. 

It's been taking 17lbs or so lately on Lay. Dude did have a 22lb bag Saturday with one over 8lbs. Ran around checking a lot of stuff today. My cold water haunts aren't there yet. Water temps 54-56. Still managed to catch around 17lbs with a 5+ head and a 4+ spot. Spinnerbaits and swim jigs. Let's go. WDE!

Edited by AUFAN78
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2016 at 11:53 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

It truly is nice to see that my efforts are syncing up with seasoned veterans. I'm going to be playing with the spinnerbait more now. Crankbait had become a crutch, and I'm not fond of that. 

The internet has been such an awesome resource for fishing. I've been teaching myself for so long(even before re-picking up the rods). I used to think cold weather=non fishing season. 

I really want to get out on a boat with someone. While it is nice to just go out and be by myself, and enjoy the quietness of nature, it'd also be nice to have someone to fish along with sometimes. 

Gotta get a damn selfie stick just to take pics of my big catches because my arms are so short.

Sorry, I used your post to ramble. 

Let me know if you are heading down to Bham and you can jump in the boat with me.

5 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Very nice! Never seen one of those. WDE!

4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Well I was able to race the sun and get a few casts in...and I caught a damn carp. I've never caught one of these. Is it big? Felt like it was 8-10 pounds. Didn't fight like a bass, so I knew it wasn't one. Thought it might be a cat when I saw it's dorsal come out. 

How are you supposed to grip these things? He wasn't happy and I just unhooked him while he was in the water when he finally calmed down.

rmMqlKf.jpg

ye9X93M.jpg

You got the hooks out just as I would have. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Let me know if you are heading down to Bham and you can jump in the boat with me.

Dude, I will make a special trip to do as such. Seriously. It's a 4 hour drive but I'd love to spend a day or two on a real lake on a boat. Shoot me a PM if you would want to work out any legit plans. 

5 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Dude, I will make a special trip to do as such. Seriously. It's a 4 hour drive but I'd love to spend a day or two on a real lake on a boat. Shoot me a PM if you would want to work out any legit plans. 

Will do. 

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

I'll bring tasty brews...

Sweet!!!

Apparently the fish I caught was a small mouth buffalo, and not a carp at all in terms of species. I love catching new species on a bass rig. These past few months have given me 1 crappie, 2 gizzard shad, of course the small mouth Buffalo.

Gizzard shad are gross btw. Slimy little sh**s.

291Zfh3.jpg

My home lake is Smith Lake in Cullman.  Only about 30 minutes to the water from my house.  I also venture up to Lake Guntersville when I have the time.  Two totally different lakes, Smith is deep and rocky, while Gville is a more shallow grassy lake.

6 hours ago, AUatHeart said:

My home lake is Smith Lake in Cullman.  Only about 30 minutes to the water from my house.  I also venture up to Lake Guntersville when I have the time.  Two totally different lakes, Smith is deep and rocky, while Gville is a more shallow grassy lake.

And Smith is a clear lake for the most part (except into the creeks) while the G is more like a  south Florida lake. I haven't hit Smith yet but I'd like to get into some smallies up there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

It's been taking 17lbs or so lately on Lay. Dude did have a 22lb bag Saturday with one over 8lbs. Ran around checking a lot of stuff today. My cold water haunts aren't there yet. Water temps 54-56. Still managed to catch around 17lbs with a 5+ head and a 4+ spot. Spinnerbaits and swim jigs. Let's go. WDE!

I'll be in touch.

• Like 1

My buddy went to Logan Martin today and brought by 25 nice slab crappie. We filleted those bad boys up, dropped them in the oil and fried them crispy. Whipped up some slaw and finished it up with SN Celebration. Stuffed.

He caught them on docks with 1/16 and 1/32 jigs and Monkey Milk grubs. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2016 at 5:55 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Not sure if I want to go bank fishing when it's 30 degrees again. Line guides kept freezing. I was freezing. And I caught no fish, but I was only out for an hour. 

Tip: dip your guides in the water frequently. I suspect the water temp is at or near 50 degrees and will aide your problem. 

• Like 1

If you're looking for face shields, check these guys out:

https://safishing.com/shop/buy-1-get-4-faceshields-fb5/?gclid=CMHU8puo_dACFZQ7gQodUoMICA#configuration

Crazy deals and prices. I ordered 5 for $25 shipped last week. They've been doing good deals nearly every day since. Compared to Academy who wanted $25 for one. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

Finished 3rd out of 17 boats on Saturday in a tournament on Harding. Had two 3 1/2 pond large heads and three 1-2 lb spots. Finished with 11.36 and won $120.00 in cash so I'm happy with that. Winner had 20.62 and second had 13.25. The two ahead of me fished a 2 day BFL "Classic" on the lake last week and the winner had a 6.70 as his kicker. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Finished 3rd out of 17 boats on Saturday in a tournament on Harding. Had two 3 1/2 pond large heads and three 1-2 lb spots. Finished with 11.36 and won $120.00 in cash so I'm happy with that. Winner had 20.62 and second had 13.25. The two ahead of me fished a 2 day BFL "Classic" on the lake last week and the winner had a 6.70 as his kicker. 

Congrats, dude. 

Work and weather has been crazy for me lately, so Christmas Day might be my next free time to get out. 

Some guy recently broke the world record for a spot. 

9 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Harding used to be a great. Is it still holding its own? Years ago fished it frequently but it began to get to crowded in the spring, summer, early fall with a mix of recreational watercraft and fisherman.

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Congrats, dude. 

Work and weather has been crazy for me lately, so Christmas Day might be my next free time to get out. 

Some guy recently broke the world record for a spot. 

World record spot. Where did you say you are fishing-I must have missed it. Christmas day is a great day to fish. Headed to Auburn tomorrow. sons and I have our annual and traditional Christmas eve fishing outing. Been doing every since they could hold a pole.

Just found this thread. I live right off lake Guntersville. I don't have a boat but I have a fishing kayak. If anyone ever wants to come up, shoot me a message. I also have a pond beside my house. Love to fish. Glad to see some other AU fans sharing in the passion. Here are a few I have caught lately.

BASS.png

BASSS.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

World record spot. Where did you say you are fishing-I must have missed it. Christmas day is a great day to fish. Headed to Auburn tomorrow. sons and I have our annual and traditional Christmas eve fishing outing. Been doing every since they could hold a pole.

Memphis suburbs. We've had a lot of below freezing temps in the past week. Today would be a great day to go though, but work is in the way. 

21 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Memphis suburbs. We've had a lot of below freezing temps in the past week. Today would be a great day to go though, but work is in the way. 

work is in the way?? you need to adjust your priorities ^-^

1 hour ago, autigersj said:

Just found this thread. I live right off lake Guntersville. I don't have a boat but I have a fishing kayak. If anyone ever wants to come up, shoot me a message. I also have a pond beside my house. Love to fish. Glad to see some other AU fans sharing in the passion. Here are a few I have caught lately.

BASS.png

BASSS.jpg

good stuff. you are in bass heaven there. speaking of kayaks, I have been wanting to try it. went to a place on St George Island ( Apalachicola area) Saturday to buy a used kayak. Ended up buying two new fishing kayaks - Tarpon 120 Wilderness, off season and the owner of the place made me a heck of a deal.