Bandwidth useage

Mikey

This may not bother everybody, but I'm on a somewhat limited bandwith plan. Recently, something is causing this site, and this site only, to pull an inordinate amount of bandwidth. I just today pinned it down to this message board. Something, an ad, video, or something is running in the background. I can monitor current usage from this home computer and it's very high, even when it should be completely stopped. Right now my only solution is to do all my posting and reading here before 8 AM, when I have unlimited use. Some may think that's a good thing! :)

Thoughts or suggestions?

I would think that those gifs/videos, especially the wrestling ones that have inundated the forum lately, are chewing up bandwidth.  They are constantly running.  

What's a mobile device? :) I use a desktop computer, Firefox browser. After watching this closely for a few days now, I think Mike4AU, above, is correct. Sometimes the sound starts from one of them when I wasn't even aware it was running. Tonight it's not going on at all. Yesterday it was eating like a whale. Fortunately, I have learned to track it pretty much continuously, so if it gets crazy i just close out. Thanks for the interest. if anybody learns more, please post it!

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

What's a mobile device? :) I use a desktop computer, Firefox browser. After watching this closely for a few days now, I think Mike4AU, above, is correct. Sometimes the sound starts from one of them when I wasn't even aware it was running. Tonight it's not going on at all. Yesterday it was eating like a whale. Fortunately, I have learned to track it pretty much continuously, so if it gets crazy i just close out. Thanks for the interest. if anybody learns more, please post it!

Need to change Mikey's "Expert Evaluator of Linebacker Talent and Depth" to Bandwidth Hog. 

On 12/12/2016 at 11:10 PM, Mikey said:

You have a limited bandwidth plan on your home internet?  I wasn't aware such a thing even existed anymore.

7 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

You have a limited bandwidth plan on your home internet?  I wasn't aware such a thing even existed anymore.

When you live 2 miles from a paved road, that same two miles from your nearest neighbor and 9 miles from the nearest grocery store, such things exist! The benefits of being out here far outweigh the disadvantages but it's not for everybody. Phones and some limited internet (6 gigs/month) come through Verizon. TV and an additional 10 gigs of internet per month come through Dishnet. So you see, we have to limit you-tube, videos and such things if we're to get through any given month without either running out of bandwidth or having to buy more, which is expensive!

3 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Sounds like a personal problem ;)

I can control it personally by simply signing out when those things are running in the background on this site. Sometimes they aren't running. I can and do monitor it. It doesn't happen anywhere else.

Tonight, just now, it was some car ad. That one snuck up on me, usually I catch 'em before they start to bellow their blah-blah.

• 2 weeks later...
On December 7, 2016 at 7:43 AM, Mikey said:

This may not bother everybody, but I'm on a somewhat limited bandwith plan. Recently, something is causing this site, and this site only, to pull an inordinate amount of bandwidth. I just today pinned it down to this message board. Something, an ad, video, or something is running in the background. I can monitor current usage from this home computer and it's very high, even when it should be completely stopped. Right now my only solution is to do all my posting and reading here before 8 AM, when I have unlimited use. Some may think that's a good thing! :)

Thoughts or suggestions?

Yes. I suggest Raptor and Blue adopt your internet plan. ;)

Jubilation and celebrations! The bandwidth eating advertisement/banner has been removed for two days now and things are back to normal here. Kudos and thanks to whomever, if this was done on purpose. If it's simply a happy accident, then I'm happy. :):)

Archived