5* OL Alex Leatherwood - bama

lionheartkc

Feel free to move to Rivals Recruiting, since he is a bama commit, but I didn't see that he had a topic, yet, and 247 has confirmed that he is visiting Auburn this weekend. Imagine an OL class with Ashley and Leatherwood.

The class also has Troxell and Brahms who I can only imagine being beasts once they recover from injury. 

Hard to imagine we flip Leatherwood but I don't know much about him. Would be an amazing addition

Just now, Charhair said:

The class also has Troxell and Brahms who I can only imagine being beasts once they recover from injury. 

Hard to imagine we flip Leatherwood but I don't know much about him. Would be an amazing addition

Apparently Leatherwood and Brahms are good friends... you never know.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Apparently Leatherwood and Brahms are good friends... you never know.

Didn't know that. I take a couple of classes at the college Brahms is duel enrolled in, I can attest that he seems like a pretty big auburn fan too. I see him there a few times a week and he's almost always wearing something AU unless it's a Navarre related shirt. Kid is massive too

This would be the type of flip Bama has hurt us with in the past.  That would be awesome.  That dude just looks like he has a mean streak.

8 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

I thought that he had already been to Auburn 1 time with Brahm's.

The article said he came to a game this season.  This weekend is his official.

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Feel free to move to Rivals Recruiting, since he is a bama commit, but I didn't see that he had a topic, yet, and 247 has confirmed that he is visiting Auburn this weekend. Imagine an OL class with Ashley and Leatherwood.

In cases like this where AU has virtually no shot I just put the info in the 2017 recruiting thread FFR.

Would be the biggest shock of 2017 recruiting if he were to flip (with Brahms help). I guess it's good recruiting publicity to get one of his 5 OVs. WDE!

If he were to flip you would have every bama loving media type putting AU back under the microscope. Zeke Pike would suddenly surface again and Leatherwood would have a sweet new ride.

24 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

If he were to flip you would have every bama loving media type putting AU back under the microscope. Zeke Pike would suddenly surface again and Leatherwood would have a sweet new ride.

And I would not give a rat's turd end what they would think or say.

@ellitor Whats the scoopage on Leatherwood and why we just have never got any traction with him despite Brahms being his teammate? and Yes I am well aware him taking this OV is just taking full advantage of enjoying his recruitment. absolutely no shot here.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

@ellitor Whats the scoopage on Leatherwood and why we just have never got any traction with him despite Brahms being his teammate? and Yes I am well aware him taking this OV is just taking full advantage of enjoying his recruitment. absolutely no shot here.

Been heavy Bama long before AU got involved.

Just now, ellitor said:

Been heavy Bama long before AU got involved.

not suprised. Cristobal is a monster on the trail. one of the best recruiting OL coaches in the country. O well. I love our OL class as it is. WOOOOOO!!!!!!! WDE!

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

not suprised. Cristobal is a monster on the trail. one of the best recruiting OL coaches in the country. O well. I love our OL class as it is. WOOOOOO!!!!!!! WDE!

Saban goes and gets recruiters to help with that. Saban knows the battles are usually win or lost in the trenches. that's why he hates up temp offense, wears down his big boys. 

I was hoping we would get an official from Netori Johnson as well. These two guys are monsters

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

Saban goes and gets recruiters to help with that. Saban knows the battles are usually win or lost in the trenches. that's why he hates up temp offense, wears down his big boys. 

I was hoping we would get an official from Netori Johnson as well. These two guys are monsters

seems just like yesterday we led for ol netori then he pulled the ol switcheroo on us and committed to THUGA!

Interesting article on the visit...

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburns-pitch-to-Alabama-5-star-commitment-Alex-Leatherwood-play-49634984

With 5-star Alabama offensive tackle commit Alex Leatherwood of Pensacola (Fla.) Washington officially visiting Auburn on Wednesday evening through Friday, one might wonder what key angle offensive line coach Herb Hand will hammer home with the coveted recruit.

The answer: player development.

Not only is that a major key to Leatherwood in choosing a schools, it also happens to be what many think is Hand’s strength.

During Leatherwood’s official visit, Hand likely will put great emphasis on his abilities as a developer of talent. According to football people, that’s his calling card.

Said noted former NFL All-Pro LeCharles Bentley, now a private coach who also works with linemen at The Opening each summer: “Herb Hand does a great job of constantly looking to evolve. He’s committed to seeing players grow.”

Hand, 48, has 25 seasons of college coaching experience. At this time, four of his former linemen plus a tight end he coached at Tulsa are in the NFL, most notably Tampa Bay Bucs starting left tackle Donovan Smith, who he coached at Penn State.

During his career, five of his players have earned Freshmen All-America honors.

In 20016, Hand’s offensive line did big things, paving the way for the Tigers to lead the SEC in rushing by a wide margin.

Auburn’s line was named a semifinalist for the Joe Moore Award, which recognizes the top offensive line in college football. Guards Braden Smith and Alex Kozan were named second-team All-SEC by the coaches. Tackle Robert Leff and Smith made Pro Football Focus’ All-SEC first team.

Kozan and Leff once were 3-star recruits, it should be noted.

Wednesday, Hand was named a finalist for the FootballScoop.com offensive line coach of the year award for the second time.

Another big selling point for Auburn: The school’s history at tackle.

Greg Robinson went No. 2 overall in the NFL Draft in 2014. Shon Coleman, a starter in 2014 and 2015 now is with the Cleveland Browns. Wayne Gandy was a first-round pick in 1994 and started 205 NFL games. Wille Anderson went 10th overall in the 1996 draft and played in four Pro Bowls.

Will Auburn’s pitch work? Can Auburn sway Letherwood?

Leatherwood is no ordinary recruit, both in ability and mentality. By all accounts, the 6-feet-6, 327-pound prospect, the No. 2 tackle nationally in the 247Sports Composite, has an advanced mental approach. More than anything, he wants his body and his skills to be pushed and taken as far as they can go by his college position coach — and people close to him believe he has the drive to make it happen.

Although Leatherwood committed to the Tide more than a year and a half ago, he has developed a strong relationship with Hand. It helps that a close friend, 4-star guard Nick Brahms, is a Tigers commit.

The plan is for the Tigers to swing for the fences.

Because of Hand’s track record for player development, you never know — the Tigers might have a “punchers chance” in this recruitment.

Archived