2017 3* Juco TE Salvatore "Sal" Cannella commits to AU!!!

ellitor

Updated (12/14/16), Sal commits to AU!!!

Cz_VY4_GKVEAE_h_ZH_1.jpg
Salvatore "Sal" Cannella
Arlington Heights, IL (St Viator HS, Scottdale CC)
Ht 6-6 | Wt 230

• #2 ranked TE in JUCO
  • Spring enrollee
  • Has become a major AU target
  • 4 years to play 3 per his Hudl Highlights (below)
  • Maryland was believed to lead last week but AU & Texas have since offered & appear to be major threats
  • He had 29 catches for 443 yards & 7 TDs in 2016.

CzSeeHJVEAArlrF.jpg

Will OV AU & Texas the next 4 days per this.

Salvatore is a January enrollee so expect a decision to come very quickly. It sounds like he will decide between Texas, Maryland and Auburn. Salvatore tells me he has already visited Maryland and “loved it there”. This weekend he will squeeze a visit to both Auburn and Texas in before the dead period begins.

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Pretty sure this guy already has a commit date coming up... hopefully we can delay it.

He wants to commit by next week. We won't need him to delay it if AU is his best OV. All 3 finalists: AU, Texas, & Maryland have all only been involved in his recruitment the past 2 weeks.

He has 2 CB's to Auburn. One from KN and another from Maryland writer. Both predictions made this morning.

Edited by aufan57
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Don't know why we need him,haven't used the tight end since CJ and Lutz.:angry:

We have not had a receiving tight end since those 2. And they were both under used in that role.

21 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

He has 2 CB's to Auburn. One from KN and another from Maryland writer. Both predictions made this morning.

Yup. Good sign. Now just gotta beat Texas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

We have not had a receiving tight end since those 2. And they were both under used in that role.

Don't get me wrong, would love to have him if we would use him.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yup. Good sign. Now just gotta beat Texas.

Checked Houston's Receiving stats for 2016. Four tight ends on roster caught 5 passes for 40 yards in Herman's Offense. 

• Like 1

Looks like an Engram type and maybe used as a split receiver. Looks to have good speed too

• Like 1

Key Questions:

Does he have route running skills and good hands to make the key 3rd and short catches?

Can he get deep if covered one on one by LB?

Can he block well enough so Defense doesn't know if it's a run or pass when he's in the game?

Does he have size, speed, and quickness to be a true receiving TE? (Film appears to be a yes)

If yes to all four I sure hope we get him.

I don't know of about his blocking, but he looks more like a big WR like Anthony Mix was more than a TE. 

IF we called more passes (especially to TEs,)  this kid could be a legit threat in the passing game. Seems to me he could blow right by a LB trying to cover him. 

• Like 1

SECCountry interview with Sal

I forecasted this earlier in the week, but Salvatore Cannella informed me that his decision has been solved. Who would get the official visit this weekend: Auburn or Texas?

Cannella simplified his dilemma: He’ll take both.

Auburn, which offered Cannella at the first of the month, will host the JUCO tight end from Thursday evening to Saturday morning. He’ll make that trip up from Scottsdale (Ariz.) Community College.

From there, Cannella will take an official visit to Texas on Saturday afternoon. Both these visits come after his official visit to Maryland. The Terrapins were the leaders in the clubhouse, but the recent offers from Auburn and Texas have leveled the playing field.

Now it’s all dependent on the official visits. Cannella is a relationships guy, which will be the deciding factor. He’s already developed a solid foundation with Auburn tight ends coach Scott Fountain, the staff member who went to see him on Dec. 1 in Arizona.

I had Cannella in the class projection released Wednesday night. That’s based on his two-day trip to Auburn versus his day visit to Texas. Auburn, in desperate need at the position, will do everything it takes to land a tight end who can get into the system in January.

He’ll have three years of eligibility remaining. After his visits, Cannella’s decision will be near. He’d like to have it finalized by the beginning of the dead period on Dec. 12 but admitted it could linger a few days past that until he’s completely certain. De-committing because of a rash decision isn’t something Cannella wants to deal with.

What have Auburn coaches told Cannella about his fit?

“They have one true tight end. He’s going to be a junior. His thing, as coach was telling me, he’s more of a true blocking tight end,” Cannella said Monday. “He can run and catch some balls, but he doesn’t have the ball skills I do. He thinks he could really use me to be more of a pass threat.”

On 12/8/2016 at 11:39 AM, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't know of about his blocking, but he looks more like a big WR like Anthony Mix was more than a TE. 

IF we called more passes (especially to TEs,)  this kid could be a legit threat in the passing game. Seems to me he could blow right by a LB trying to cover him. 

Nailed it.

• Like 1

Ole Miss, UGA and UAT wreaked havoc with our defense by using TE's as go to receivers.  Maybe Gus finally realizes how valuable a great receiving TE can be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, autan said:

Ole Miss, UGA and UAT wreaked havoc with our defense by using TE's as go to receivers.  Maybe Gus finally realizes how valuable a great receiving TE can be.

They have been killing our D for the past 4 years with TEs and we still don't use them effectively. Not goung to hold my breath.

1 hour ago, AU04ever said:

They have been killing our D for the past 4 years with TEs and we still don't use them effectively. Not goung to hold my breath.

Me either but he sure could be a threat.  You don't see his size and speed everyday. I know he doesn't have elite speed but he sure has PLENTY to blow past a LB. 

Edited by Auburn2Eugene

43 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

This guy is begging CGM to let him on this team now!

I bet a lot of skill players renew interest in the Tigers. This guys is a weapon .