2017 3* Juco TE Salvatore "Sal" Cannella commits to AU!!!

ellitor

8 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I think when he saw Stidham sign with Auburn that was a big selling point.

All in fun of course...

Z5S4C8B.png

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

From CGMs presser yesterday...

Wanted a long body with receiver skills at tight end. Cannella really gives them that look. He got a lot of work in the red zone in JUCO. Has a chance to get bigger in the offseason.

Tight end is an area we needed more depth and speed this year. Cannella has chance to help immediately. When we were at our best in 2010 and 13, we had a threat at tight end.

Edited by ellitor

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

about 245-250. Any more than that and he could loose some of his very good athleticism. But he is 6'6 so he may be able to put on more than that and play at a high level.

Rob Gronkowski the tight end for the Patriots is 6'6" and 265 so Sal could get there in 3 years.

4 minutes ago, augrad68 said:

Rob Gronkowski the tight end for the Patriots is 6'6" and 265 so Sal could get there in 3 years.

It's possible. Just checked. Most of the good TEs in the NFL are 6'5-6'7 and 255-275 lbs.

Thanks for the highlight. Kid has good speed and uses his body well to shield defenders. What I like the most though was how he went up and fought for the high passes or reached back for the underthrown passes. This was a great pickup.  I aalso like that Gus and Rhett both seem to think they need this type of TE so hopefully they will really use him as a weapon.

7 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Thanks for the highlight. Kid has good speed and uses his body well to shield defenders. What I like the most though was how he went up and fought for the high passes or reached back for the underthrown passes. This was a great pickup.  I aalso like that Gus and Rhett both seem to think they need this type of TE so hopefully they will really use him as a weapon.

Let's hope so. Because if they do... This young man could be deadly... And be unlike any TE we have had in the modern era... Or he could not transition to the SEC... But i sure hope he does! 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2016 at 3:25 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

I think too much has been made about our reluctance to use the TE and not enough has been made about the type of guys we've had at that position. Classic chicken or egg debate, for sure, but I think we'll see a quality pass-catching TE used when we have one again. So, basically, I agree with you.

• Like 1

If we properly use this guy the 2017 offense has a chance to be Top 10 in the country IMO. However I know there are other factors: OL becoming cohesive as a unit, etc, but I think we truly have the talent to be a top tier offense.  3 out of the 4 teams in the playoffs have TE's with over 300 yards this season. Our TE's have 28 catches for 346 yards in 4 seasons, that's inexcusable.

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

If we properly use this guy the 2017 offense has a chance to be Top 10 in the country IMO. However I know there are other factors: OL becoming cohesive as a unit, etc, but I think we truly have the talent to be a top tier offense.  3 out of the 4 teams in the playoffs have TE's with over 300 yards this season. Our TE's have 28 catches for 346 yards in 4 seasons, that's inexcusable.

And most importantly from the passing side of things, we have the QB to do it for the 1st time since Cam.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

That's more than I would have thought.I guessing some  those were H-back and not true TE catches.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kd4au said:

That's more than I would have thought.I guessing some  those were H-back and not true TE catches.

No, that's true TE catches. I disregarded H-backs when figuring up the numbers. Only TE's that had catches in that span are Uzomah, Fulse, and Harris. Fulse and Harris only have a combined 4 catches for 47 yards during that span. The rest was all Uzomah

Edited by Maverick.AU

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

No, that's true TE catches. I disregarded H-backs when figuring up the numbers. Only TE's that had catches in that span are Uzomah, Fulse, and Harris. Fulse and Harris only have a combined 4 catches for 47 yards during that span. The rest was all Uzomah

Sorry I missed the 4 seasons part.

2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Sorry I missed the 4 seasons part.

In the last 2 seasons we have 1 catch for 15 yards by a true TE. I did the "4 seasons" for TE production since Gus has been HC, because personally the lack of using a TE has been very concerning, especially when we've seen guys like Howard, Engram, Henry, etc be extremely successful in our own conference.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

In the last 2 seasons we have 1 catch for 15 yards by a true TE. I did the "4 seasons" for TE production since Gus has been HC, because personally the lack of using a TE has been very concerning, especially when we've seen guys like Howard, Engram, Henry, etc be extremely successful in our own conference.

The bolded part is comically sad

15 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

At the same time, had we landed guys like Howard, Engram or Henry, I think you would see a vast shift in our TE numbers.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

At the same time, had we landed guys like Howard, Engram or Henry, I think you would see a vast shift in our TE numbers.

Well I'm always a guy who says "work with what ya got" lol, our TE's only catch in 2 years was on a gadget play that started out in the Cox cat, that to me is concerning. Harris is still athletic, he could've been molding into something other than one catch for 15 yards in 2 seasons. Especially considering with Laye's transfer and the Rice deal, he's really been the only TE on the roster in his time here. This is just my opinion though. Sal brings me hope however, he's one of the more athletic TE's we will have had under Gus.