Auburn lands 7 on AP All-SEC team

aubiefifty

al.com

Auburn lands 7 on AP All-SEC team, including 5 1st-team selections

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Seven Auburn players were selected to the Associated Press All-SEC team, which was announced Thursday afternoon. Five of the Auburn players earned first-team honors.

Running back Kamryn Pettway, guards Alex Kozan and Braden Smith, defensive tackle Montravius Adams and kicker Daniel Carlson were all elected to the All-SEC first-team, which was voted on by a panel of 14 media members from throughout the conference. Right tackle Robert Leff and defensive end Carl Lawson earned second-team honors.

Pettway finished the regular season with 1,129 rushing yards, which ranked sixth in the league, and seven touchdowns. He averaged 124.78 yards per game, which was tops in the conference. The third-year sophomore accomplished that despite sitting out three entire games, not recording a carry in the opener against Clemson and only two second-half carries during Auburn's win against LSU.

Kozan and Smith, along with first-year starter Leff, helped anchor Auburn's offensive line. The Tigers finished the year tops in the SEC in rushing yards with 3,342 -- an average of 278.5 yards per game. The unit also allowed just 19 sacks on the year, which was fourth fewest in the conference.

Adams put together the most complete season of his four-year Auburn career, totaling 39 tackles, including 8.5 for a loss and 4.5 sacks. He also had an interception, a fumble returned for a touchdown and 15 quarterback hurries.

Carlson named SEC Special Teams Player of the Year

Carlson named SEC Special Teams Player of the Year

The Auburn junior was the recipient of one of seven of the SEC's annual awards, which were announced Wednesday afternoon.

Carlson, who was named the SEC Special Teams Player of the Year on Wednesday, led the conference in scoring with 127 points. He was 26-of-30 on field goal attempts, with only two true misses; the other two misses were blocked at the line of scrimmage. He was also a perfect 43-of-43 on extra points and led the conference with a touchback percentage of 79.41 percent.

Carlson also scored a touchdown on a fake field goal attempt against Arkansas in early September.

Lawson, playing his first fully healthy season since 2013, had 28 total tackles, including 12.5 for a loss. He led Auburn with nine sacks on the season, which was tied for third in the SEC.

47 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Funny how all of the "All-SEC" voters can't decide if Monty or Carl is better...

I believe they are a product of each other.

I think I read somewhere that Lawson had like 28 QB hurries also.  Seemed like teams really focused on containing him this year or he just had a quieter year than I expected.  But yeah, they both compliment each other.  Glad to see Leff show up on one of these teams.  He exceeded expectations.

40 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I believe they are a product of each other.

Defensive "eye candy?"

"Worry about me! Double Team Me!"

"No, No, I'm your worry. Double Team Me!"

Archived