New Williams

milehighfan

I was just looking at the roster and saw the name of New Williams. I haven't been that up on Auburn  basketball but I remember last year people were high on his potential. I was wondering how he was doing this year.

7 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I was just looking at the roster and saw the name of New Williams. I haven't been that up on Auburn  basketball but I remember last year people were high on his potential. I was wondering how he was doing this year.

Unfortunately for him he's the 11th man on a 10 man rotation.

18 hours ago, aufan57 said:

Is a 48 inch vertical for real? 

On him I don't think so. I think he is above the NBA average of a 28 inch vert but 48 is the NBA record by Darrell Griffith  and some guy named Michael...

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

On him I don't think so. I think he is above the NBA average of a 28 inch vert but 48 is the NBA record by Darrell Griffith  and some guy named Micheal...

giphy.gif

David Thompson would probably be in that conversation as well

I can think of a couple of guys who I think maybe in that area or better. And I don't know about the 28 inch average thing. But I guess maybe the 7 footers could bring that vertical down. But if you cut the height off at around 6'8" I'd say the average would be something like 35 probably

41 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I can think of a couple of guys who I think maybe in that area or better. And I don't know about the 28 inch average thing. But I guess maybe the 7 footers could bring that vertical down. But if you cut the height off at around 6'8" I'd say the average would be something like 35 probably

Agreed on the 35 statement. And yes there are some guys not in the NBA with higher than 48 supposedly. 1 guy supposedly jumps 55 to 61 inches.

If you are a basketball fan who appreciate dunks Go back and watch the 1988 slam dunk contest between Michael & Domonique Wilkins if you can find it. I'm biased but that's still the best dunk contest ever IMO.

Zach Levine is no joke though. There's a vid of him doing a 360 from the free throw line. I can't imagine more than 3 people on Earth being able to do that

On the New Williams note, his knee isn't fully recovered. His lateral movement is severely diminished right now and whether it improves is a question mark

He is technically healthy enough to play basketball, his actual quality of play clearly shows lingering knee issues. 

If his knee knee ever gets 100% , he will easily be in the rotation. Kid is an absolute stud even in his skills as well as athleticism 

Nah he has to work on everything that's outside of physical. I saw his without videos after his surgery, he even has a new dunk video that many just don't realize it's him. I won't say he's 100% but he's not hurting and is still more explosive than the majority  of D1 players his size. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Nah he has to work on everything that's outside of physical. I saw his without videos after his surgery, he even has a new dunk video that many just don't realize it's him. I won't say he's 100% but he's not hurting and is still more explosive than the majority  of D1 players his size. 

So right now there is just no room for him in the rotation because our other guys are better? 

I'd rather hear that than he is hurt. 

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

So right now there is just no room for him in the rotation because our other guys are better? 

I'd rather hear that than he is hurt. 

That's what I believe. New didn't have the best handle, it was actually pretty weak to be a lead guard. I think I may have talked about it on here last year. 

But look at this, this is after the surgery or whatever. One of his dunks his head is over the rim....You not doing this stuff and your knee is hurting you to a point that you can't move laterally.  They actually should redshirt him while Johnson is here, and let him get a year in learning how to be a point. They actually may be doing that

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

That wasn't me speculating. I've heard it twice now from people who work with basketball

New is having problems with lateral movement/mobility. He can dunk all day because that doesn't put the same demands as say playing defense  on his knee.

From the videos I've seen of him dunking or practicing, he rarely if ever demonstrates high stress on his knee from a lateral movement

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

That wasn't me speculating. I've heard it twice now from people who work with basketball

Just pay attention to the video you posted, everything New does is straight line vertical stuff while his fellow dunker is spinning all over. 

New is having trouble moving side to side not jumping. One person made the comment he is having trouble keeping Keim in front of him on defense for example

He can jump all day but that is no indication of his knee health 

I was a kid when that went down and thought 'Nique was robbed then...still think 'Nique was robbed to this day. 

A 45 for the double handed windmill with his elbow over the rim that almost knocked the whole basket sideways?? Cmon man!! :)

8 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I was a kid when that went down and thought 'Nique was robbed then...still think 'Nique was robbed to this day. 

A 45 for the double handed windmill with his elbow over the rim that almost knocked the whole basket sideways?? Cmon man!! :)

Agreed!

On 12/10/2016 at 11:57 PM, GenesChin said:

Just pay attention to the video you posted, everything New does is straight line vertical stuff while his fellow dunker is spinning all over. 

New is having trouble moving side to side not jumping. One person made the comment he is having trouble keeping Keim in front of him on defense for example

He can jump all day but that is no indication of his knee health 

I've never experienced or seen anybody experience a knee injury where they were explosive vertically to a point as being top percentile of all athletes then hurt so bad that they can barely move laterally.....

As far as the straight line to spinning comment. Well that contradicts what you are saying because doing a 360 while you dunk is jumping...it doesn't have any bearing of moving laterally....

Archived