Pettway says he is coming back

autiger88

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Does today count as a "win"? WDE!

As they say, winning starts in the off season...

13 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Gotta get a different play caller. Nothing but talent at skill positions but I refuse to show any amount of trust to our current staff.

Exactly..I can't get excited about anything with current staff smh

The top player in Auburn's backfield will be back in 2017.

Running back Kamryn Pettway, a third-year sophomore, announced he will not enter the NFL Draft and will return to the Plains next season.

"For all of the Auburn fans asking I will be back next season," Pettway tweeted late Saturday. "I have some unfinished business!"

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. had Pettway, who ran for 1,123 yards and seven touchdowns, in his top 12 running backs had he chosen to enter this year's draft.

Pettway did not have any carries during the season opener but burst on the scene midseason and was the SEC's leading rusher before a calf injury caused him to miss two games.

The Prattville native was named the team's Offensive MVP during Auburn's team awards banquet Saturday night.

The return of Pettway was the second big piece of news for Auburn's backfield on Saturday, following the commitment of former Baylor dual-threat quarterback Jarrett Stidham.

8 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

The top player in Auburn's backfield will be back in 2017.

Running back Kamryn Pettway, a third-year sophomore, announced he will NOT enter the NFL Draft and will return to the Plains next season.

"For all of the Auburn fans asking I will be back next season," Pettway tweeted late Saturday. "I have some unfinished business!"

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. had Pettway, who ran for 1,123 yards and seven touchdowns, in his top 12 running backs had he chosen to enter this year's draft.

Pettway did not have any carries during the season opener but burst on the scene midseason and was the SEC's leading rusher before a calf injury caused him to miss two games.

The Prattville native was named the team's Offensive MVP during Auburn's team awards banquet Saturday night.

The return of Pettway was the second big piece of news for Auburn's backfield on Saturday, following the commitment of former Baylor dual-threat quarterback Jarrett Stidham.

FTFY

First, I find Stidham committed to Auburn, then, I find that several Auburn  commits stood out. And last, but certainly not least, I.find out KP is coming back. If Stidham is the real deal, coupled with KP's  return, I hope it doesn't take Gus and company three games to decide what to run on offense.

Wow, with all of the positive news the last couple of days, people still want to go negative??  I just don't get it.  The players want to play for this staff, they still have faith, why hit the reset button and destroy everything at this point?  Were there some calls this season that I question, absolutely but how far back do we have to go before Gus to have a NC appearance?  He's been a large part of getting us there twice.  He'll have all the tools to make it a third time in 2017 - let's let that year decide it and just get behind the team and staff until we see what happens?  

War Eagle!

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Gotta get a different play caller. Nothing but talent at skill positions but I refuse to show any amount of trust to our current staff.

Rhett did a very good job calling plays until his two main weapons went down.

23 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Rhett did a very good job calling plays until his two main weapons went down.

Look no further than Navy yesterday. Hard to overcome losing your QB and RB.

47 minutes ago, GoAU said:

Wow, with all of the positive news the last couple of days, people still want to go negative??  I just don't get it.  The players want to play for this staff, they still have faith, why hit the reset button and destroy everything at this point?  Were there some calls this season that I question, absolutely but how far back do we have to go before Gus to have a NC appearance?  He's been a large part of getting us there twice.  He'll have all the tools to make it a third time in 2017 - let's let that year decide it and just get behind the team and staff until we see what happens?  

War Eagle!

I personally don't think Gus has IT anymore. He lost me at UGA. That said, I wasn't expecting Stidham to come (still has to sign) or Pettway to return. I was looking for a major offensive overhaul to be willing to support him in 2017. I'm not sure we got it, but this is atleast a step in the right direction.  Come out in the opener and play 5 QBs and I'm done.  Play another injured QB when it's obvious to everyone (including the opponent) that he's not capable of playing properly, and I'm done.  Let the FB pass the ball on the most important 4th down of the season, I'm done. My give a damn about Gus is down to about 1 percent.  He has made the worst coaching decisions I've ever witnessed in my entire life the last two years (and that includes HS football). I'm not expecting a miracle there, and for him to not blow atleast 2 games on ridiculous scheming would be just that, a miracle.  Sorry for the negative post. I've spent the last 2 years defending Gus tooth and nail and the only place it has gotten me is in the wrong. I can no longer cover his back, the targets have gotten too large and I'm exhausted.  I'm just glad I like BBall. I hope Stidham is the answer. I have my doubts. I'm glad Lettway will be back. Who's the capable backup to fill his shoes when the game plan can't be changed if he gets hurt?  I hope Stidham is good enough to not need him in the event that he does go down. (That's just assuming Stidham wins the job, which is not guaranteed). 

Sorry for the rain cloud.  I haven't been this down on an AU coach since the end of Bowden (and his play calling may have been better)

For the past two seasons, this team has been a QB away from winning 2-3 more games each year.  We now have that QB.  We likely had the QB before, but he was a freshman the first year and in both years, got injuries at critical times.  I understand a 'wait and see' approach.  I do not understand the utter gloom that some espouse.

52 minutes ago, AUUSN said:

Look no further than Navy yesterday. Hard to overcome losing your QB and RB.

Not to pick a fight, but I glad my Navy friends will now have to back off, at least a little!  Go Army!!

I pull for Navy and Air Force all year, except 1 game for each ;)

I'm definitely in the "wait and see" crowd for 2017.  How the spring/summer/fall camps work out and when Gus/Rhett announce their starting QB will be an indicator as to how things are going.  We all know Gus will not provide any insight to how the QB competition is going during this time.  

The biggest concern I have is that Stidham will cover up some of Gus/Rhett's deficiencies in their system and we end up in the same situation as 2015/2016 when Stidham decides to move on.  It appears the Gus/Rhett team will be together again next year and I'm a little disappointed in that development.  I still believe they need to be separated for the good of everybody concerned, but it's only my opinion and I could be wrong.

I am really looking forward to having a QB that is (supposed)to be ready day one that is a perfect fit for CGM offense. The Genius will be back in full force in 2017! Book it! War Eagle! IGTBAAT! 

1 hour ago, FoundationEagle said:

I personally don't think Gus has IT anymore. He lost me at UGA. That said, I wasn't expecting Stidham to come (still has to sign) or Pettway to return. I was looking for a major offensive overhaul to be willing to support him in 2017. I'm not sure we got it, but this is atleast a step in the right direction.  Come out in the opener and play 5 QBs and I'm done.  Play another injured QB when it's obvious to everyone (including the opponent) that he's not capable of playing properly, and I'm done.  Let the FB pass the ball on the most important 4th down of the season, I'm done. My give a damn about Gus is down to about 1 percent.  He has made the worst coaching decisions I've ever witnessed in my entire life the last two years (and that includes HS football). I'm not expecting a miracle there, and for him to not blow atleast 2 games on ridiculous scheming would be just that, a miracle.  Sorry for the negative post. I've spent the last 2 years defending Gus tooth and nail and the only place it has gotten me is in the wrong. I can no longer cover his back, the targets have gotten too large and I'm exhausted.  I'm just glad I like BBall. I hope Stidham is the answer. I have my doubts. I'm glad Lettway will be back. Who's the capable backup to fill his shoes when the game plan can't be changed if he gets hurt?  I hope Stidham is good enough to not need him in the event that he does go down. (That's just assuming Stidham wins the job, which is not guaranteed). 

Sorry for the rain cloud.  I haven't been this down on an AU coach since the end of Bowden (and his play calling may have been better)

He's a JUCO transfer, he doesn't HAVE to sign anything.  He can just enroll in classes in January. 

1 hour ago, FoundationEagle said:

I mean this in the nicest way that can possibly be said, but you remind me of a spurned lover. You were admirably high on Gus for so long and he let you down, and you seem to be taking it awfully personally. You're certainly entitled to your feelings, man, but I hope that you can take a deep breath over the offseason and come back in 2017 with the vigor and spirit you've shown in the past - it was seriously a breath of fresh air. WDE, man, WDE!

2 hours ago, GoAU said:

The players want to play for this staff, they still have faith, why hit the reset button and destroy everything at this point?

I totally agree with what you're saying, but would point out that the Texas kids wanted to play for Charlie Strong.  If you believe what you read, they were so committed that they were planning to boycott the last game.  We can have all the talent in the world and commitment beyond doubt, they still have to be coached better than the rest of the SEC west and the game plan and play calling MUST at least match the ability.  It just didn't in about half of our games this year.

The only thing that matters is if the players believe in our coaches, not the fan base.  And obviously our players do if people like Carl Lawson go on the record very directly and point blank at SEC Media Days saying Gus is the guy.  Anyone who knows him knows he doesn't sugarcoat anything (and has a vast love for Dragonball Z).  It is also proof if people like Stidham (saw my thread on Stidham was deleted, not sure why) wants to play here for Gus and Pettway returns with every reason to leave for his sake.  I just hope to see my phone light up with an update saying Braden Smith returns.  2017 will be a fun year starting January 2nd.  

Archived