Down year for the SEC

StatTiger

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Has the Sugar Bowl ever featured a 4 loss SEC team?

Edit: Just checked the site: All-State Sugar Bowl

From my glance, we are indeed the first ever team with 4 losses to play in the Sugar Bowl.

Florida State was 9-4 going into the 2003 Sugar Bowl (and lost).

That's the only other time it's happened in the past 30 years -- didn't check beyond that.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DAG said:

One thing that baffles me about the SEC is the low limit of decent QBs. QB play is downright dreadful across the board. I mean the 1 premier QB you can argue is a freshman 

I know it's easy to write him off, because he's kind of an idiot, but don't forget Kelly.  He's a premiere QB.  Hurts will probably be, but his propensity to cough up the ball holds him back from that level this year. Fitzgerald has as much potential as Hurts. Eason has a high ceiling, too. Shurmer finally came into his own toward the end of the year.  And Allen has a lot of potential as well. Bentley is coming along, after he became the starter. Who knows how good Lock could be if Missouri didn't suck.  He got plenty of yards. And don't forget Dobbs. Knight was solid and actually a difference maker in a few games. Then there's Sean who's a deep ball and an injury free season away from being a top QB. Most of these guys are underclassmen.

Really, the only poor QB play I saw that lasted throughout the year was LSU. I'll admit, I don't really have a clue about Florida or Kentucky's QBs.

On 12/14/2016 at 0:00 PM, msza said:

Florida State was 9-4 going into the 2003 Sugar Bowl (and lost).

That's the only other time it's happened in the past 30 years -- didn't check beyond that.

Yep, I glanced over that one.  Did they play in the ACC champ game to get 9 wins?

14 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

CBS Sports ranked the SEC fourth behind the Big 10, PAC 12, and ACC 

I can agree with that.