***2017 3* CB Traivon Leonard Signs with AU (Updated)

Updated 12/12/16 ...

4_4831960.jpg
Traivon Leonard, CB
West Palm Beach, FL (Oxbridge Academy)
Ht 6-0 Wt 188

• AU offered 6/5/16
  • 15 P5 offers including LSU, Vols, & Miss St.

Free From UNC 247

Early on Sunday morning, CarolinaBlue received word that long time cornerback commit Traivon Leonard is very close to a de-committing from UNC. All signs, both from AuburnUndercover and CarolinaBlue sources, believe that Leonard will no longer be a Tar Heel commit very soon. He is expected to verbally pledge to the Tigers.

Leonrard has removed all references of his UNC commitment from his twitter account. Also, all of his latest follows, retweets, and likes are related to Auburn football coaches, players, and events.

On Sunday, I put a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick in for Leonard to Auburn.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

Kid has the skills to come in and earn PT as a freshman. Our secondary is gonna be good next season, I know the depth is there but experience behind the starters will be light. Dinson and Dean returning will be great.

BOOOOOOM!!!! REEL EM IN CRIMEDAWG!

Really starting to wonder how many DBs we will take in this class. We have 5 committed now. It's likely us or Louiville for CJ Avery...And we are apparently making a move on Devin Hunter again.

• Like 5

Just now, ellitor said:

Really starting to wonder how many DBs we will take in this class. We have 5 committed now. It's likely us or Louiville for CJ Avery...And we are apparently making a move on Devin Hunter again.

Plan for the future. We will lose a few next year and it's good to build the depth now.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Avery is in. 

• Like 9

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Avery is in. 

OH.

Here’s a quick scouting report on Leonard … from Leonard himself.

STRENGTHS

“I know I can bring a lot to the table. I’m a very physical corner. I like to get involved with tackling and hitting. I’m also very good at covering my guy. I really love to play off but I don’t mind pressing. I think I can bring that excitement to the defensive side of the ball. I get guys riled up. .. I have a nose for the football. I know how to make a play when the ball is in the air. I know how to become a receiver when the ball is coming.”

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT

“Definitely my press jam, and being physical on the line. Getting out of my breaks is something I can improve especially on quick routes like hitches and 12-yard comebacks. And definitely when there’s a go route, playing on a hip and not letting my guy stack me. I think those are some of the areas I can improve on.”

NOTABLES

-He’s 6-feet-1, 194 pounds

-His best 40-yard dash time is 4.5 seconds, but he hasn’t been timed very often.

-Had five pass breakups and one interception in six games played in 2016. He had three interceptions as a junior.

-Sustained ligament damage to his right elbow and missed significant time this fall. Is now “75 percent” but his rehab is going well and he expects to be completely fine by preseason camp.

OUR TAKE

The main things we like about Leonard are the same things Auburn likes — his size/body/length, athleticism and competitiveness. And that is pretty evident on video. He moves well, has quick feet, good change of direction and better-than average instincts. Also, his versatility is something that could be utilized in college. He’s the type of back that can possibly play multiple spots in the secondary. Auburn locked in on Leonard last spring and never relented. That should tell you something about where he was on the board.

link

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Very nice pick up.  Did anyone notice the length of his arms? 

So, maybe if he puts on some weight, he can play offensive tackle.

:cool:

Seriously, looks like a good pickup for us.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Preparing for the inevitable decommit of Bishop. He's a dawg.

2 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Preparing for the inevitable decommit of Bishop. He's a dawg.

I feel the same but the staff is confident we keep him so IDK.

Yeah, I'm wondering about Bishop as well. I hope he sticks.

Regardless, I'm excited to pull in another CB with length and speed! You cannot have too many of those guys. He and Jordyn Peters have go-go-gadget arms. I'm not forgetting about Askew (an absolute stud), but size with coverage skill is a weapon.

Seriously, Carlton Davis and Javaris Davis returning with Jamel Dean and Jeremiah Dinson back from injury PLUS Daniel Thomas (CB/S hybrid), Broussard, and Myers with a year. Now you're adding Askew, Peters, and Leonard. Think about the talent, youth, and size in that group. SIX of those guys are 6'0" or taller.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Very nice pick up.  Did anyone notice the length of his arms? 

LOL, that is the first thing I noticed. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Avery is in. 

Really?!? That would be huge too IMO - CJ would be my pick for unexpected phenom out of this class. He announces tomorrow I think. Okay, derailment ended. He & Traivon would be a promising near-future in the secondary indeed.