What's left at each position & other notes (12/12/16)

ellitor

From Keith

Here's a snapshot of Auburn recruiting for the 2016 class, where the Tigers stand at the moment and who are some notable targets.

EXPECTED TO TAKE

As of Sunday, we expect the Tigers to have approximately 25 in the class for 2017. Right now, Auburn has 17 commitments. However, long snapper Bill Taylor will “blue shirt” and not count toward the 2017 total. That leaves about nine spots left to fill.

Here is our best guess as to the amount of remaining spots to fill at each area:

QB: 0-1

RB/ATH: 0

TE/3-BACK: 2

WR: 1-2

OL: 1

DL: 2-3

LB: 1

DB: 1-2

K/P: 0

COMMITMENTS: NEED TO KNOW

-(EE) Malcolm Askew, CB: Ole Miss made a late push, but Askew will arrive at Auburn for bowl practices next week and then enroll in classes in January. Had interception in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game.

-(EE) Nick Brahms, OG: The 4-star guard officially visited Auburn this weekend and will enroll in January. U.S. Army All-American.

-(EE) Kenney Britt, LB: Four-star recruit chose Auburn over Georgia and Stanford in October. Had strong performance in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game.

-(EE) Jarrett Stidham, QB: No. 1-ranked junior college recruit publicly committed to Auburn on Saturday. He is expected to sign Wednesday and arrive at Auburn the following week.

-(EE) Chandler Wooten, LB: Wooten, who officially visited Auburn this weekend, will enroll in January. But first, he’ll compete in the Under Armour All-American game.

-Calvin Ashley, OT: The 5-star commit will officially visit Auburn on Jan. 20. He visited Maryland this weekend. The Tigers think he’s solid.

-Devan Barrett, RB: The 4-star back officially visited Auburn this weekend. There’s a good chance he’ll visit Clemson and Tennessee in January. Auburn still feels good about keeping him in the class.

-Tray Bishop, ATH: The 4-star athlete will officially visit Auburn, Florida and Georgia in January. The confidence level in Athens, Ga., is rising. It’ll be a battle to the finish.

-Anders Carlson, K: Younger brother of Auburn kicker Daniel Carlson and an Under Armour All-American.

-Carlito Gonzalez, S: Three-star recruit had strong senior season and Tigers believe he’s a steal.

-Noah Igbinoghene, WR: In-state standout picked Tigers over Notre Dame, Duke and Ole Miss. Had strong performance in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game.

-Octavius Matthews, RB/ATH: No. 2 junior college athlete officially visited Auburn this weekend. Will enroll in May.

-Tadarian Moultry, LB: Moultry likely will only officially visit Auburn in January. He’s a U.S. Army All-American and could be on the verge of earning a fifth star from 247Sports.

-Jordyn Peters, S: Could officially visit Virginia Tech and possibly one other school, but seems solid to the Tigers. Competed in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game.

-Bill Taylor, LS: Will enroll at Auburn next summer, but will not be counted in the 2017 class. Will instead count for 2018 as a “blue shirt.”

-Austin Troxell, OT: A 4-star tackle, Troxell will not officially visit other schools. He’ll arrive at Auburn in May.

-Alaric Williams, RB/ATH: A 4-star recruit, Williams will officially visit Auburn in January. He still has work to do academically, which is something we’ll be tracking.

BY THE NUMBERS

Current class ranking: No. 9 overall, No. 5 in the SEC.

Average rating per commit: 90.09 (9th best)

Claimed offers out: 232

Offers by position: QB-8; RB-15; WR-37; TE-9; OL-38; DL-30; LB-31; CB-30; Safety-19; ATH-13; K-1; LS-1

Recruiter Rankings: Tim Horton, at No. 13 overall, No. 5 in the SEC, leads Auburn coaches in the 247Sports Recruiter Rankings.

SOME TARGETS OF NOTE

-S, CJ Avery: The 4-star recruit from Mississippi will announce his commitment Wednesday. Auburn and Louisville are the favorites.

-WR, Tarik Black: Army All-American will announce soon, with Auburn and Michigan being the top contenders. Wolverines could be tough to beat.

-DE, Markaviest Bryant: Georgia is considered the team to beat for the 4-star pass rusher, but Auburn has become a serious contender.

-TE, Salvatore Cannella: The junior college tight end officially visited Auburn Thursday-Sunday and will announce his pick Wednesday. It’s between Auburn, Maryland and Texas — with Auburn the favorite.

-CB, Traivon Leonard: Auburn is pursuing the North Carolina commit from Florida extremely hard and it probably will pay off with a flip.

-OT, Alex Leatherwood: The 5-star Alabama commit visited last week and then officially visited Florida. If he flipped to Auburn, it would be a mild surprise.

-QB, Lowell Narcisse: Auburn coach Gus Malzahn will visit the LSU commit Sunday with offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee. The Tigers would love to get the former Auburn commit back in the class.

-LB, Monty Rice: The 3-star early enrollee will get a visit Sunday from Auburn and announce his college choice Monday. Georgia is trending.

-DT, Aubrey Solomon: Auburn is trending in the right direction for the 5-star Georgia product and he will officially visit Jan. 20.

BOLD PREDICTION

Auburn will add Leonard to the class very soon.

A couple of notes..

Since Bill Taylor will count to the 2018 list if you take him off here AU's aberagew grade per commit is actually 90.69 which is 7th in the nation and 3rd in the SEC.

The 2 spots expected to be filled at TE/3-Back is planned to be 1 at each position. 3-back is the same as full back or H-Back. Names should come out soon for those targets.

My picks...

DB - Leonard and Avery (trending AU)

QB - Narcisse (trending AU)

TE - Cannella (trending AU)

WR - Black

LB - Taylor (trending AU)

DL - Solomon (trending AU)

That means we need a 3-back, OL, and DL. Would love if the OL was Leatherwood, but not going to make that leap. Don't think we get Bryant or Rice. I also think we lose Bishop (but man I think he would make a great Safety).

That would currently put us in 4th overall with 23 commits including Bill Taylor.

I'd love to see us land Taylor and Thomas Johnston as a LB/HB. I have no clue who the DL signees will be, but I'm guessing Ryan Johnson and/or Alec Jackson will be in there. If you told me Aubrey Solomon was in the group as well, I'd be ecstatic.

I'm no information expert, but it seems like our top DL targets are (in no order):

Solomon (DT)
Jackson (DE/DT)
Johnson (DE)
Bryant (DE)
Isaiah Buggs (DE)?
Jarez Parks (DE)?

Is that the group? Any other interior bodies on the list?

4 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

If we do not fill all 25 will they offer Bill Taylor for 2017?

I think we will fill all 25 even if that ends up bringing in a grad transfer or 2 later on.

4 hours ago, au_bsci_04 said:

My picks...

DB - Leonard and Avery (trending AU)

QB - Narcisse (trending AU)

TE - Cannella (trending AU)

WR - Black

LB - Taylor (trending AU)

DL - Solomon (trending AU)

That means we need a 3-back, OL, and DL. Would love if the OL was Leatherwood, but not going to make that leap. Don't think we get Bryant or Rice. I also think we lose Bishop (but man I think he would make a great Safety).

That would currently put us in 4th overall with 23 commits including Bill Taylor.

I would be shocked if we get Black. He just took a secret visit to Michigan before the dead period ended and got pissed that it got out.

And we are not trending with Solomon yet  Made a move but not trending.

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

I'd love to see us land Taylor and Thomas Johnston as a LB/HB. I have no clue who the DL signees will be, but I'm guessing Ryan Johnson and/or Alec Jackson will be in there. If you told me Aubrey Solomon was in the group as well, I'd be ecstatic.

I'm no information expert, but it seems like our top DL targets are (in no order):

Solomon (DT)
Jackson (DE/DT)
Johnson (DE)
Bryant (DE)
Isaiah Buggs (DE)?
Jarez Parks (DE)?

Is that the group? Any other interior bodies on the list?

Buggs is all Bama. Have not heard Parks with AU for a while. It's probably the top 4 you listed. FWIW staff sees Ryan Johnson as a DE/DT too.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

-OT, Alex Leatherwood: The 5-star Alabama commit visited last week and then officially visited Florida. If he flipped to Auburn, it would be a mild surprise.

I WOULD CALL IT A HUGE SURPRISE,we never flip bama commits.

5 hours ago, kd4au said:

My thought exactly. Much less a five star. I guess Keith has heard a lot more positive stuff bout him to Auburn than has been shared

Just now, Eisenhower_1952 said:

Are we recruiting any JUCO Defensive lineman besides buggs?

Yes a couple but not sure we are in on either one yet.

19 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Nice job on the bold prediction.   

To be honest it was not bold for Keith at that point. He and Traivon had already made plans to do the commit video.

You always have some of the best and most reliable information that we can pretty much take to the bank!

7 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

You always have some of the best and most reliable information that we can pretty much take to the bank!

I don't know about all that. I just read, research, & try to put things together. I miss just like anyone else.

4 hours ago, Charhair said:

How solid of a commit is TD? he and Britt looked very promising in that Alabama - Miss game 

Looks to be very.

22 hours ago, kd4au said:

Didn't Stephen Roberts flip from bama to us? I get what your saying though, it doesn't happen on a regular basis.

Basically we have hit most of our pressing needs:

On Offense:

Stud QB - Stidham and maybe LN. SW, Woody and JF3 already there so will have great depth even if one leaves.

O-Line - 3 good ones however because of Injuries will all probably Redshirt but currently have some good O-line Options with 3 starters returning and some really solid players like Horton and Kim who have had a couple of years to get ready.

RB - 3 good commits with a strong returning class. All current RB's returning.

WR - 1 so far with 1 to 2 more maybe coming with last years class not a huge need.

Defense:

LB  - 3 really good ones committed with 1-2 more possibly coming one of who might also be an HB. All starting LB's returning and most of the backups.

DB - some really good commits so far with a couple more possibly joining them. Have some really good ones returning.

D-Line - None so far but looking good on about 3 - currently have great depth there but you always want to add a couple a year. If we don't get a least two here this would be only disappointment of this class.

1 hour ago, PikesEagle said:

Didn't Stephen Roberts flip from bama to us? I get what your saying though, it doesn't happen on a regular basis.

You may be right but he was not a 5 star.

2 hours ago, kd4au said:

You may be right but he was not a 5 star.

I was told by a Bammer that they sort of let him go to make room for two 5* DBs.

1 hour ago, autan said:

I was told by a Bammer that they sort of let him go to make room for two 5* DBs.

That sounds right. Even if they didn't have two 5*s to replace him I'm sure they would have said they really didn't want him anyway.

3 hours ago, PikesEagle said:

That sounds right. Even if they didn't have two 5*s to replace him I'm sure they would have said they really didn't want him anyway.

They did in fact replace SR and Bessent with 2 5* DBs after they decommitted from Bama.

Archived