Will we get anymore commitments before signing day

PowerI

I would be lying if I said that I was not disappointed with our signing class. It's not that we don't have a good class, it's that we don't have an overwhelming class. It just seems that after going 13-0 we should be doing alot better. I know we are only going to sign 20 to 22 players but we've missed out on alot of good players.

Power, go over to the thread about recruiting rankings meaning anything and read Explayers breakdown of this class...so far. It is a typical CTT class with top notch athletes at every position. I think you'll feel a bit better after reading that.

Well, now that I think about it, that Jason Campbell never could throw the ball; Coach Tubberville can't make half-time adjustments; our receivers can't catch the ball; our water boys are slow; we could have gotten a real OC instead of that good-lookin' Borges guy; we couldn't have . . . . . ; we should have. . . . . ; we only beat UT twice, if we played them again . . . .

What the hell is goin' on????

We just finished an undefeated season; the coach tells us he's got as good of an incoming class as he has ever had, and therefore WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?? Want more stars? You can get a whole bag of 'em at the Dollar Store.

Where's the optimism? Heck, I'd even settle for realism!

WAR DAMN EAGLE AND DON'T YOU EVER FORGET IT!!

we all know CTT likes to recruit for character as well as talent. the problem is that most of the bluechip prospects don't exactly have the character that CTT is looking for. i'm not saying this is a bad thing but it makes it harder to get the best prospects. Every year we get a handful of very good players but after this season we expect more. we had an amazing season and i know i can speak for all of you in saying that we want to continue this trend. it is important to use this season to our advantage while recruiting. with that being said i can't say that i'm dissapointed but i did expect a little better. i know that it is hard to tell just how good these kids are and I do trust our coaches and their scouting so i am not going to worry.

A friend of mine played golf with CTT in a charity event about 3 years ago. Said it was great fun but the only talk he heard from Tubby about football was a comment basically stating that if they keep recruiting at the same level for a couple more years, AU would have the athletes to play with anyone in the country. We're there. Can we ask for more? I can't. It's up to the coaches now to keep them competing at a consistent top 10 level.

before opening the thread started by power, i prepared myself by checking to see if the ceiling was intact.

on the upbeat we are pursing a recruiting class that will be considered among the best in the nation. majority of our class will be academically qualified and several players will be an instant impact when they step on the plains of auburn. our depth at running back and offensive line should not discourge the ones dreaming the likes of a. smith. we will be receiving outstanding corp of linebackers and wide receivers. i can't wait until the start of spring football drills and learn how good our defense will be with a new coordinator coming in to the plains.

eh, powerI is right...we don't have a luster to our class this year. and we should have picked up more players....but you know what, we're freaking stacked at RB, WR, LB, DL, OL, and hopefully if we can get Mcfadden we will be at CB as well.

we'll definitely be alright next year

Dude, you have got to realize that in a young players eyes, going 13-0 every ten years don't mean much. If we did it and went to a BCS bowl year in year out then it matters. We are loaded at almost every position, therefore many players do not want to come and sit for one or two years. A high School players main concern (besides the lovely ladies on campus) is PLAYING TIME. Good lord, don't be disappointed in our signing class, at least don't say they should come because we went 13-0. I get tired of hearing that! WAR EAGLE

Good point Kick. Go to BCS bowls consistently and you can pick and choose. One killer year doesn't mean we automatically have 20 5-star players beating down our door. Trust what CTT is doing. He got the players that got us to 13-0. It's called BUILDING A PROGRAM!!!

Okay one thing to remember. We will finish with at least a top 15 recruiting class if not a top 10. Now, if we go back over the past few years what rankings have we had with our recruiting classes. Maybe the top 20 to 30? Whereas LSU has had a top 5 maybe the top the past 2 or 3 years. They have won a NC, now we have gone 13-0 and proved how good this program has become. If we are winning with a top 20 to 30 class, who gets credit? The AU coaching staff, that's who. So, if we are now entering into getting a top 10 recruiting class, how much better will we be after the coaches applying their magic. The Vols have had a top recruiting class the past few years also, but can never seem to get by UGA, UF, or the Mighty Auburn Tigers.

We have great coaches who are now getting some of the best recruits in the COUNTRY! Not just Alabama or the southeast anymore. We will continue to get better and better. :au:

Guest Tigrinum Major
Dude, you have got to realize that in a young players eyes, going 13-0 every ten years don't mean much.  If we did it and went to a BCS bowl year in year out then it matters.  We are loaded at almost every position, therefore many players do not want to come and sit for one or two years.  A high School players main concern (besides the lovely ladies on campus) is PLAYING TIME.  Good lord, don't be disappointed in our signing class, at least don't say they should come because we went 13-0.  I get tired of hearing that!  WAR EAGLE

143115[/snapback]

One other thing that was brought up on Finescum yesterday and I never really thought about this, but a ton of prospects make their short lists when they are juniors. Therefore, we should expect an outstanding recruiting year NEXT year, because we are probably doing well with rising seniors for the fall RIGHT NOW.

Power I, look on the bright side of life from time to time, ok?

To all those who live and die with recruiting....99% of it all boils down to coaching at this level....once they get to college, they are all good players with good skills, it takes coaches to bring out the best....that why some make it and others don't...I believe our coaches are some of the best in the nation and that is why they have enjoyed the success they have.....plus it is very rewarding not to see our players in the jail docket....to me that is as important as anything else....and our kids are graduating....what more can you ask for....

Keep up the great work, coaches....

I'm a '68 grad and have seen my share of AU football ups and downs.I can tell you it is so refreshing to see all the recruits that have already qualified when they commit.If these guys don't make it ,it's usually due to injury or competing against a super high level of competition and not due to lack of work ethic.I think most of them buy into the words of the AU creed and I am proud to claim all of them as our "guys".Carpe Diem

Guys! Don't get so down on Power I. I am elated at the recruits we have now too, but lets face it, Bammer beat us for Greenwood, Sharriff,

and lost Powe, Franz Hardy, almost lost Horton, and are doubtful on Smith. THIS was the kind of year when we SHOULD have been able to get these type of players IF we ever are to and it didn't happen. THAT is all Power I is saying rather than complaining abou the ones we did get, and at the risk of ruffling feathers, which I've never backed down in doing, I agree. War Damn Eagle!

Guys! Don't get so down on Power I. I am elated at the recruits we have now too, but lets face it, Bammer beat us for Greenwood, Sharriff,

and lost Powe, Franz Hardy, almost lost Horton, and are doubtful on Smith. THIS was the kind of year when we SHOULD have been able to get these type of players IF we ever are to and it didn't happen. THAT is all Power I is saying rather than complaining abou the ones we did get, and at the risk of ruffling feathers, which I've never backed down in doing, I agree. War Damn Eagle!

143330[/snapback]

I agree to a certain extent.......Greenwood was going to bammer since he was a Jr..........We Dropped our Scholly from Ali, so he inturn commited to bammer.....We never Lost Powe, Powe Lost US, and he Still doesn't know what he's going to do........Franz's QB from JC is going to Nebraska so, with him being a WR I can understand his decision...........I agree though, that we almost lost Horton, and are doubtful on Antone.....I figured that all it would take is one Undefeated National Championship Season for AU to Rack up all the 5 Stars.......Then I realized that the Number of Stars don't mean Squat. Like I've said before, You can give Coach Tubbs a Turd and he, along with the Coordinators, can turn it into a Diamond............As long as Coach Tuberville gets who he wants, that's all that matters........

They don't include Greenwood's commit to Bama but AU has 5 of the top 7 in the steate and 7 of the top 12...

link

Auburn, on the verge of one of its biggest in-state recruiting hauls, will sign five of the top seven players on The News' Super Seniors list, including No. 1 Trott, No. 2 Montez Billings of Pelham and No. 3 Gabe McKenzie of Davidson-Mobile.

Tigers coach Tommy Tuberville also has oral commitments from No.6 Rex Sharpe of Fairfield and No. 7 Antonio Coleman of Williamson-Mobile.

Alabama has three of the Top 12 players - No. 4 Charles Hoke of Briarwood, No. 11 Ali Sharrief of North Jackson and No. 12 Cory Reamer of Hoover.

Guys! Don't get so down on Power I.

If him being the official Eeyore of AUN were a rare occurence, I'd cut him more slack.

I am elated at the recruits we have now too,

As am I. I'm sorry but when you only have 19-20 slots available and you sign one 5-star (the #1 LB in the country), seven 4-stars, and nine 3 stars, I'd say you've got quite a great class. Most people would have taken that before recruiting season started, no questions asked. It's only because we started so fast the slowed at the end that people are bellyaching, IMO.

but lets face it, Bammer beat us for Greenwood

This kid was a heavy bammer lean from day one. That we even had a shot at him was a testament to CTT's efforts.

, Sharriff,

If we had told Shariff he could play RB, he'd be wearing orange and blue next year. But we wanted him as a DB. He wanted to play RB and bammer was willing to give him that shot. Apples and oranges.

and lost Powe,

First, it was widely reported over a month ago that AU had back off Powe. In fact he was bent out of shape because he hadn't heard from us. Second, the only place we lost him to is JUCO. The boy won't see a D-IA playing field for two years.

Franz Hardy,

This was a loss, but not the end of the world. It's not like we didn't sign any good WRs. In fact, both of the ones we got are rated higher than Hardy.

almost lost Horton,

Ok. So he wavered for a day. A. DAY. Let's not go too "glass half empty" over it.

and are doubtful on Smith.

First, RB was not a priority this year anyway and we're going after the #1 all purpose RB prospect in the country and all three home state schools went after him hard. It was a long shot anyway.

THIS was the kind of year when we SHOULD have been able to get these type of players IF we ever are to and it didn't happen.

No, when we have 2, 3 or maybe 4 seasons in a row where we win 10 or 11 games and a couple of conference titles (like USC, OU, or Miami), THAT is when your reputation is such that you win all the head to head battles.

THAT is all Power I is saying rather than complaining abou the ones we did get, and at the risk of ruffling feathers, which I've never backed down in doing, I agree. War Damn Eagle!

143330[/snapback]

Wrong. PowerI is a constant provider of doom, gloom, doubt, worry, and pessimism. If this were the ONLY thing he's said in this vein, it wouldn't have registered a blip on the radar.

And let us not forget that we beat out Georgia for Tray Blackmon (5*), beat out LSU for Alonzo Horton(4*), beat out Bama for Trott (4*), beat out Miami and others for Gabe McKenzie (4*), beat out Florida and Georgia for Montez Billings (4*), beat out Oklahoma and Florida for Mike Harness (4*) and so on. We won our share of big head to head battles. But you've got to realize that one year of success does not make you instantly one of the elite. You have to put a few seasons like that back to back. Also, places like Bama, because of scholly limits can sign a lot more kids overall and because of depth and injury issues, can promise them a realistic shot at immediate playing time at a major SEC school. Auburn couldn't do that.

So, all in all, this class is great. Sure, I'd love to reel one more big fish in like Antone Smith. I think he'd love it here and could challenge for the starting job as a freshman like Carnell did. But even without him, we have a great class and I have nothing bad to say about it.

On an added note, this class ranks as probably the second best one CTT has brought in, mainly because of the lower numbers we could sign.

Back in 2002, we had a big time class with one 5*, eleven 4*'s, and sixteen 3*'s. But we were able to sign 33 players that year because of losses due to graduation and attrition. But also consider this: 4 of those four star guys never played a down for us and are gone and the one 5-star guy was Obomanu...a solid receiver for sure but I don't think he'd lived up to the 5-star billing yet. And four of the 3* guys have either yet to play a down or are gone.

2003 was a very good class too. One 5*, six 4*'s, and seventeen 3*s and a total of 26 signings. But the one five-star guy was Brandon Jacobs and we all know that story. Courtney Denson (4* QB) is gone. Tez Doolittle (4* FB/DT) hasn't played or has barely played, and six of the 3*'s are either injured (D. Irons) or gone.

My point being, this class is much better than last year's, looks as good or better than 2003, and is on par with 2002 if you take into account the fact that we were able to sign a much larger class and promise guys like Obomanu and Aromashodu instant playing time (sort of like Bama this year).

Archived