Kiffin to Florida Atlantic

BigSammyK

24 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Dabo's dumber than we all thought if he doesn't hire Kiffin to sit in an "analyst" role for the next week.

We oughtta start a go fund me page for it.  

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

He was not an on the field coach. He was an analyst. Not for sure by any means, but I would think his involvement during the game would be limited if not prohibited. 

That's right, but I would bet the farm he was strapping on a headset all season. sabear isnt going to pay any attention to those irrelevant rules.

Admittedly Kiffin's offense looked pretty anemic Saturday...and on a few other Saturdays.  But still, seems like you let the guy that led you to the National Championship game have the honor of being part of that game and perhaps earning a ring, even if Sark does all the actual coaching for that game.

Timing, to me, looks like Saban & Kiffin's ego finally couldn't fit in the same sideline or office, and the implosion just happened a week (or two) early.  I have to wonder how 'mutual' this was at this particular time.  If someone had to leave early, I suspect the guy staying in Tuscaloosa* had more say-so in the situation.  

[*...Plus, he's just the kind of guy who might do something like this out of spite or indifference.  :rolleyes:  ]

10 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

This will work out in the Updykes favor I'd wager. 

Name something that doesn't work out over there?

13 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Ha, that's why I'd make the wager. :)

This article, though!!  Should be an interesting game ahead, but not nearly as exciting as ours tonight!  War Eagle forever!

"The final straw came sometime last week. Kiffin — who, like other Alabama assistants, is not allowed to speak to the media during the season — finally got to dish out his unfiltered thoughts about working for Saban, both during Peach Bowl media availability and for a Sports Illustrated article in which he went house-hunting in Boca Raton with reporter Pete Thamel.

“I don’t recall a happy moment,” he told reporters in Atlanta. “I just recall the ass-chewings.

“This will come across wrong,” he told Thamel. “But it’s like dog years. Three years is like 21.”

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/lane-kiffin-just-cant-stop-sabotaging-010217

Ed Cunningham on the Outback Bowl said he has a hard time believing Sark was given play calling duties for the NC Game if he hasn' t had any on-field experience this season as he was supposed to. He said he would like to ask nick saban that. Man, would I love to see satan blow up on that question. No one on al.com would ever ask it.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

He was not an on the field coach. He was an analyst. Not for sure by any means, but I would think his involvement during the game would be limited if not prohibited. 

Prohibited by whom? 

Analysts are there to assist the on the field coaches during game planning, as well as during the game. That headset he wears? He's getting every call as Kiffin puts it in. He knows exactly what's going on in the offense during the game, and it's his job to use his perspective from the box to aid Kiffin with information as to match ups, tendencies, scheme, etc. It wouldn't make sense to have analysts in the box if you couldn't communicate with them.

Anyway, do we even know that Sark would be calling plays? I think we are speculating as far as that goes. 

Edit: I'm an idiot. Completely forgot Sark has already been hired as the new OC. Safe assumption that he will be calling plays. 

1 minute ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Who is gonna call plays if Sark doesn't? This is just weird... Can't blame Kiff for wanting out but I'm sure he wanted that ring. 

I think it's safe to assume Sark will at this point. I'd forgotten he was already hired as the new OC. 

2 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

Too bad Saban didn't leave him in Atlanta to find his own way home. What a terrible game he called.

They still won and it was not even really close. Prior to that game Kiffin has called some outstanding games, and played a critical role in developing Hurts as a freshman. One poorly called game should not define his entire career there. IMO he did a hell of a job for Bama as OC and led the offense to two championship games. I felt he should have left as soon as he took the FAU job, which could have been his choice but he chose to stay and coach, which is commendable IMO. Better keep Sark off the sauce until Monday is over or someone else may be calling plays. 

3 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

They still won and it was not even really close. Prior to that game Kiffin has called some outstanding games, and played a critical role in developing Hurts as a freshman. One poorly called game should not define his entire career there. IMO he did a hell of a job for Bama as OC and led the offense to two championship games. I felt he should have left as soon as he took the FAU job, which could have been his choice but he chose to stay and coach, which is commendable IMO. Better keep Sark off the sauce until Monday is over or someone else may be calling plays. 

His career shouldn't be judged by one game, I agree. However, if Saban felt Kiffin's mind was elsewhere and he no longer was preparing to the level Saban expected, then it's completely logical to let him go in light of that one game. 

13 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Prohibited by whom? 

Analysts are there to assist the on the field coaches during game planning, as well as during the game. That headset he wears? He's getting every call as Kiffin puts it in. He knows exactly what's going on in the offense during the game, and it's his job to use his perspective from the box to aid Kiffin with information as to match ups, tendencies, scheme, etc. It wouldn't make sense to have analysts in the box if you couldn't communicate with them.

Anyway, do we even know that Sark would be calling plays? I think we are speculating as far as that goes. 

Edit: I'm an idiot. Completely forgot Sark has already been hired as the new OC. Safe assumption that he will be calling plays. 

I have not looked up any reg concerning analyst and coaches and who can be involved during the game. Any prohibition would have been NCAA rules or regs. I was assuming that an analyst did off field review and planning but that was just my assumption and nothing concrete. If an analyst could participate during a game I would have dozens. I didnotice that Sark had a headset on but it did not look like it had the mic portion. 

5 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I have not looked up any reg concerning analyst and coaches and who can be involved during the game. Any prohibition would have been NCAA rules or regs. I was assuming that an analyst did off field review and planning but that was just my assumption and nothing concrete. If an analyst could participate during a game I would have dozens. I didnotice that Sark had a headset on but it did not look like it had the mic portion. 

Yeah I don't know. My understanding is that he couldn't work with the players directly. 

This article highlights their role: https://www.google.com/amp/athlonsports.com/college-football/behind-scenes-what-exactly-does-an-alabama-football-analyst-do%3Famp?client=ms-android-verizon

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

If you believe that...

THis dude missed the bus again days ago. Al Davis told everyone about him years ago. Saban cant blame anyone but himself. He knew what he was getting with Lane. I'd be shocked if he ever got another major head coaching gig. This at FAU will not end well.

18 hours ago, AUFlyer99 said:

I hear dentistry is a struggling profession over their.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I hear dentistry is a struggling profession over their.

:laugh::laugh:

On Finebaum's show Monday he and his guest were talking about it and his guest, I believe her name was Sarah Rutledge, if that's not right, I apologize. But her contention was something really bad happened.  She and PF agreed we may never know what really spurred Saban to take this action.

One report was mutual and another had something to do with him being late for meetings and missed the bus. Think the HC and OC thing was too much on his plate and saban had enough. 

Archived