RB Recruiting

AUinfusion

I was looking at the 247 composite rankings, and the last time that we had a top 20 RB was 2014 (Roc). I feel like we really need a true, stud TB to round out the offense, and I'm wondering why we aren't doing better there, given that Horton is an awesome RB coach AND an awesome recruiter, and given that we keep churning out 1000 yard rushing and top rushing teams. I don't actually expect anyone to have the answer, just thinking out loud. 

And before anyone says it, I know we have KJ and KP, and I'm not disrespecting them, I just think that we need one true TB (someone who always was and always will be a TB, with those very specific skills), and it would seem like we could land one of those?

Again, just musing out loud.

KP will be an NFL RB after next year so as far as I am concerned he is stud RB.  Horton keeps getting what the scouts say are good RB's and when they leave Auburn they go pro. I think we start trusting his eye more than the *'s the rating services put out.

2 hours ago, AUinfusion said:

I was looking at the 247 composite rankings, and the last time that we had a top 20 RB was 2014 (Roc). I feel like we really need a true, stud TB to round out the offense, and I'm wondering why we aren't doing better there, given that Horton is an awesome RB coach AND an awesome recruiter, and given that we keep churning out 1000 yard rushing and top rushing teams. I don't actually expect anyone to have the answer, just thinking out loud. 

And before anyone says it, I know we have KJ and KP, and I'm not disrespecting them, I just think that we need one true TB (someone who always was and always will be a TB, with those very specific skills), and it would seem like we could land one of those?

Again, just musing out loud.

The staff feels we are doing well there. They don't look at ranking. They feel Devan Barrett is a stud RB. And he is a top 20 rated RB. He is rated #12. We have 3 RBs committed in this class and are done barring a surprise flip from that group.

IMO, Gus did not give Roc a far chance. After Roc transferred to Jacksonville State, he turned into the RB I had hoped he would be while at Auburn. I Gus for Roc's downfall.

4 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

IMO, Gus did not give Roc a far chance. After Roc transferred to Jacksonville State, he turned into the RB I had hoped he would be while at Auburn. I Gus for Roc's downfall.

Perhaps it was because he was playing against significantly lesser competition

12 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

He had every chance. He chose not to compete and looks good against lesser competition. Blame whomever you like, Roc was never a SEC RB.

41 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Recruited at RB.

But does this mean he stays there? A lot of kids commit when promised a chance at a position. 

Same could be said with the JC RB. AW and the JC RB may of been recruited at a position by us, but they are athletes right? Wouldn't this make DB is the only "true" RB of the class?

I am completely content with Bubba. I have doubts KJ can stay healthy for a full season. Miller is more of a FB than a TB. He simply doesn't have the speed. 

We have enough severe depth issues at RB. Otherwise we aren't running with Cox or Truitt during the season. Signing 3 RBs when only 1 is sure to stay there seems like a risky option. 

I fully agree with the OP. 

6 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

But does this mean he stays there? A lot of kids commit when promised a chance at a position. 

Same could be said with the JC RB. AW and the JC RB may of been recruited at a position by us, but they are athletes right? Wouldn't this make DB is the only "true" RB of the class?

I am completely content with Bubba. I have doubts KJ can stay healthy for a full season. Miller is more of a FB than a TB. He simply doesn't have the speed. 

We have enough severe depth issues at RB. Otherwise we aren't running with Cox or Truitt during the season. Signing 3 RBs when only 1 is sure to stay there seems like a risky option. 

I fully agree with the OP. 

AW and the juco RB are recruited as RBs. The only other spot they will get a look at is slot WR.

Staff likes Miller as a tail back all the way and he is not any slower than Bubba.

We don't have depth issues at RBs barring a whole lot of attrition or injuries. We will have 8 scholarship RBs to start next season as things are now

Bubba

KJ

K-Mart

Miller

Truitt

Barrett

Alaric

Doc Ock AKA Octavius Matthews

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

He had every chance. He chose not to compete and looks good against lesser competition. Blame whomever you like, Roc was never a SEC RB.

Agree!

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

You blame Gus. Your posts are as predictable as Gus's plays. Roc chose to leave and play against lesser competition.  Roc's success or failure is on him.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

AW and the juco RB are recruited as RBs. The only other spot they will get a look at is slot WR.

Staff likes Miller as a tail back all the way and he is not any slower than Bubba.

We don't have depth issues at RBs barring a whole lot of attrition or injuries. We will have 8 scholarship RBs to start next season as things are now

Bubba 

KJ

K-Mart

Miller

Truitt

Barrett

Alaric

Doc Ock AKA Octavius Matthews

I get what you are saying. 

However if Bubba and Miller have similar speed, that's about all they have in common. I mean went went back and read through the 1st few pages of his recruitment, and at one point, Miller was the top RB on our board... as a 10th grader. But I just don't see Bubba/Tre/JR/CAP when I see Miller. I see Eric Smith. 

KJ has health concerns. He has yet been able to stay healthy. 

KMart has worlds of potential but he needs to put on some weight and not lose a step.

Truitt is just a body. If we are healthy at RB this season, and our coach doesn't go "Beautiful Mind" game 1,Truitt never takes a snap at RB and is still at WR. 

DB is a legit TB recruit. He has a nice blend of size, speed, and seems to have good vision from the highlights. 

AW and Doc Ock both have legit size and speed but they are both listed as athletes. 

Of all those backs we have (not counting DB,) 1 MAYBE 2 of them could sustain a season. And this is counting Bubba, who was injured. 

I just see a lot of bodies. I don't see legit SEC RBs. But then again, what do I know. I don't get paid millions to make these decisions. But I guess we put full faith in our coaching staff. It's not like they are ever prone to making questionable decisions... 

12 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

However if Bubba and Miller have similar speed, that's about all they have in common. I mean went went back and read through the 1st few pages of his recruitment, and at one point, Miller was the top RB on our board... as a 10th grader. But I just don't see Bubba/Tre/JR/CAP when I see Miller. I see Eric Smith. 

That's a flip from most opinions about the 2. When we got Bubba most were calling him Eric Smith 2.0 and Malik the strong tail back. My point on the 1st part of your quote is you were strictly discounting MM as a tail back because of his speed is flawed because MM is as fast as Bubba.

AW and Doc Ock both have legit size and speed but they are both listed as athletes. 

Don't give a rat's butt what sites list them as. Just know that Coach Horton sees them and recruited them  as running backs and trust Coach Horton's judgments. His track record has earned that much.

Of all those backs we have (not counting DB,) 1 MAYBE 2 of them could sustain a season. And this is counting Bubba, who was injured. 

Again we have 8 at the moment. That should get you through a season easily. 1 or 2 guys don't have to do it all by themselves.

I just see a lot of bodies. I don't see legit SEC RBs. But then again, what do I know. I don't get paid millions to make these decisions. But I guess we put full faith in our coaching staff. It's not like they are ever prone to making questionable decisions... 

I'm just going to straight up say it now. Coach Horton deserves much more trust and respect displayed in this post.

KJ's running style makes him susceptible to injury.  He looks like a swiss army knife trying to navigate traffic...arms and legs going every which direction.

KJ is gonna be great in my opinion, he is doing the work in the weight room and has solid vision.  When you make huge strides in your physical size there are growing pains that you go through, especially in the SEC level of competition and his competitiveness.  He has gone from boy to man in 2 years and I think he is at his ideal size so now as he strengthens his core and his body adjust to the developments and hard work he put in the last couple of years he will prove more durable.

KJ has health concerns. He has yet been able to stay healthy. 

KMart has worlds of potential but he needs to put on some weight and not lose a step.

Truitt is just a body. If we are healthy at RB this season, and our coach doesn't go "Beautiful Mind" game 1,Truitt never takes a snap at RB and is still at WR. 

DB is a legit TB recruit. He has a nice blend of size, speed, and seems to have good vision from the highlights. 

Questioning our offensive play calling is a legitimate area, questioning our ability to find and develop RB talent is not as long as coach Horton has been there we keep finding RB's who end up near the top in the SEC and who go pro none who rated as 5 star talent. KJ was leading the SEC when he got hurt his replacement still led the SEC. RB's get hurt it is part of the position. We are adding two  to three more legitimate RB's to our roster.  I say legitimate RB's because Horton says they are legitimate.  

The staff's RB analysis & development has been extraordinary no doubt and they clearly look beyond stars, media hype, etc. It IS a head scratcher though IMO why more blue chip/high star RBs do not come knocking on this staff's door. True, our go-to RBs get a lot of wear & tear - maybe not attractive to a guy with legit NFL dreams. Still does not add up.

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Going to be a Truitt type player. AU needs more TRUE RB's. The JUCO kid is also a slot back. IMO anyways. 

I wish we could steal Hill from Miss St. That guy really impressed me in the all star game as I've mentioned before. 

As much as I like Webb, I wish we could get Zamir White next year or even better both. Admittedly I dont know many big running backs for the 2018 recruiting class but zamir is just a bigger back than webb.

Archived