AU/BC post game thread L[72-71]

ShocksMyBrain

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate the loss by 0.2 s, but they played a decent game other than the silly turnovers and some bad shot selections. 

Spencer was a mad man and Purifoy is money.  Totally different team than last season, no question.

This is a bad loss. No two ways about it. Talent that AU is supposed to have isn't showing itself lately and the team seems to be regressing. Is it all the traveling? 

Yawn.  Expected from the program.  Will be expected from the program until they prove otherwise.  Progress has been made, I just wish we had true bigs after 3 years so the need to play 4-guards, each just going 1v1 and throwing up a prayer 50% of the time would go away.

i think we need some time to gel especially with the new players. We arent a "just show up and win" level team... Just need to find some better consistency and team flow. At times, it's like watching a game at the rec.. better days are ahead and i think we are in store for some of those games we arent supposed to win.

So our basketball and football teams are the same.... good defense, WTF on offense. Heron and Purifoy are the real deal but man we make mistakes like a JV high school team. You go from wow to face palm in 2 possessions. 

I'm usually patient with the basketball program. But this was a win I was really hoping to get, and feel frustrated at this one. The game was a heartbreaker in more ways than one. This was a bad, bad loss. BC is probably going to have a 2nd consecutive year now without a conference win. We were shorthanded but even without Dunans this was a game we HAVE to have won.

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Frustrating team to watch, even when they win.

Yes, but not as frustrating to watch as the past ?? years.  We are getting there.  I see it. 

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Frustrating team to watch, even when they win.

Could not have said it better myself.  I want to remain optimistic, but I've yet to see much change from last year...we'll soon see

2 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Yes, but not as frustrating to watch as the past ?? years.  We are getting there.  I see it. 

The talent and depth are there for sure. Chemistry and cohesion need to come sooner rather than later. AU was a big favorite here and they knew it. What remains to be seen is what happens when they get on the plane home. Who steps up and leads this team through this loss. This team still has no leader. It's a bunch of individuals (talented for sure) and not a team. They will get waxed by most SEC teams if that continues. 

Oh and Purifoy has the juice. I love watching Horace Spencer play -- his energy is unmatched. I really like how Jared Harper runs our team and I look forward to watching him progress for years to come. I wish Bryce Brown could find his stroke, but I know it will come. Heron is a special talent, if he doesn't settle so often he can be really, really good. I am keeping in mind these guys are either freshman or sophomores.

Purifoy could've been a little more assertive in the first 8 or so minutes of the 2nd half. He was the only one being effective from the field it seemed. He had more than 1/3 of our points...eesh

13 minutes ago, jared52 said:

This is a bad loss. No two ways about it. Talent that AU is supposed to have isn't showing itself lately and the team seems to be regressing. Is it all the traveling? 

That's what I'm thinking, where is all this talent?  

6 minutes ago, jared52 said:

The talent and depth are there for sure. Chemistry and cohesion need to come sooner rather than later. AU was a big favorite here and they knew it. What remains to be seen is what happens when they get on the plane home. Who steps up and leads this team through this loss. This team still has no leader. It's a bunch of individuals (talented for sure) and not a team. They will get waxed by most SEC teams if that continues. 

Out of likes but yes

From what I read in the preview, this was a bad BC team. We were favored by 8 and could have been by 14. The preview gave the impression that BC only had 1 or 2 guys that were decent ball players. So I am not sure how this can be viewed as anything but a bad loss. 

Typical all-star team.....and going to take some coaching to convince some guys to sacrifice their stats or whatever for the benefit of the team.   Some really poor shots taken in latter stages of the game.

And no pressure on inbounds at the end allowed BC to get the ball up floor almost uncontested and then get a shot and a rebound...all in less than 7 seconds.   Guess it could be on the coaches....but needed to put up more effort to keep them from getting a good shot.

SO....back to AU and a game against Cliff Ellis......another game we should win....   

I'm just going to assume that with all these new players, Bruce has only had time to work on playing defense. If we've actually been working on offense in practice, we need to completely overhaul the system. I used to get extremely frustrated at Lebos teams for not running an actual offense for long periods of games. Well, somehow Bruce has a team that doesn't run an offense for the ENTIRE game. I've never seen so many possessions where 4 guys stand in one spot and hope the 5th guy scores on his own. If you watch really good teams, 3-4 of their guys are constantly moving on offense. If you watch ours, it's a miracle if 3 guys move at the same time.  We occasionally get two moving at the same time when the guy with the ball gets in trouble.  Frustrating to watch is an understatement.  We have the talent to be top 4 in the SEC. I'd be more than surprised if we finish in the top 8 without major changes in philosophy. I'm praying Wiley gives our coaches a reason to change the game plan. So far for Bruce's career at Auburn, every year this is how our offense plays. At this point I'm not sure we can expect any different without a game changer at canter. I hope Wiley is the answer there. If not, maybe next year?  Man I was really hoping to not have to say that for the 15th season in a row...

Somebody has to step up and be the "General" on the floor. The rushed shots, forced passes, and no establishment really hurt. It was fun to watch the team shot and play, but someone has to calm them down on the court. Leadership lacks a little there. While I like Spencers madness on defense, the post has to be worked more. BC kept them on the 3point line and barely got to work into the paint.

checked the stats.....36% from the field and 32% from 3pt....so still lost despite forcing 30 TOs....      gonna lock back later in the year when tourney time comes and regret this loss. 

2 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

I'm just going to assume that with all these new players, Bruce has only had time to work on playing defense. If we've actually been working on offense in practice, we need to completely overhaul the system. I used to get extremely frustrated at Lebos teams for not running an actual offense for long periods of games. Well, somehow Bruce has a team that doesn't run an offense for the ENTIRE game. I've never seen so many possessions where 4 guys stand in one spot and hope the 5th guy scores on his own. If you watch really good teams, 3-4 of their guys are constantly moving on offense. If you watch ours, it's a miracle if 3 guys move at the same time.  We occasionally get two moving at the same time when the guy with the ball gets in trouble.  Frustrating to watch is an understatement.  We have the talent to be top 4 in the SEC. I'd be more than surprised if we finish in the top 8 without major changes in philosophy. I'm praying Wiley gives our coaches a reason to change the game plan. So far for Bruce's career at Auburn, every year this is how our offense plays. At this point I'm not sure we can expect any different without a game changer at canter. I hope Wiley is the answer there. If not, maybe next year?  Man I was really hoping to not have to say that for the 15th season in a row...

Exactly how I feel. Not seeing a whole lot of organization on offense. A lot of out of control play. Yes they are young but nowadays in college basketball most teams are.

3 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

He needs to play the guys that are willing to play smart as a team.

Archived