AU/BC post game thread L[72-71]

ShocksMyBrain

As I watched, the players just ran and randomly through the ball...they never tried to get set into a shot. How did these guys did scholarships to play basketball?! 

We firing the crook of an AD yet?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's my point....unreal expectations....want to cry about losses but expect great rebounding without any big men or just one. Absolutely ridiculous. 

Yeah there are always anomalies but size and athleticism will trump 95% of the time.  But like I said this board love that Hoosiers and Rudy stories.....

Oh and the last couple of years had to argue with people about how much cim really brought to the team but we see now right? Purifoy is plenty athletic and is very active.... I told you he was undersized but I guess you guys thought he was going to average a double double just because he played the 4.....

I'm unclear on what "unreal expections" you are referring to, surely you don't mean expecting to beat Boston College. I also don't think we need great rebounding to win game, just slightly below average would suffice. Not getting out rebounded by nearly 20 against a mediocre at best Boston College team, who also doesn't have any "big men," is not unrealistic. 

I like the small line up. I like playing DP at the 4. I like the idea of giving up some rebounding in exchange for his scoring and the offensive mismatches. Heron is nearly doubling up DP and HS, it's not his size. Our current roster can rebound good enough to win, they don't have to be great on the glass.

It is DEFINITELY the size. And yeah you may like it but you won't win with it. And Purifoy has rarely caused mismatches because there haven't too many times been anybody having a good offensive game with him. 

But yes unreal expectations thinking this team wouldn't get killed on the boards with a line up like this. You shouldn't EVER like giving up any advantage on rebounding if you want to win by the way. You don't have any indication on knowing if this group can rebound good enough or not btw

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It is DEFINITELY the size. And yeah you may like it but you won't win with it. And Purifoy has rarely caused mismatches because there haven't too many times been anybody having a good offensive game with him. 

But yes unreal expectations thinking this team wouldn't get killed on the boards with a line up like this. You shouldn't EVER like giving up any advantage on rebounding if you want to win by the way. You don't have any indication on knowing if this group can rebound good enough or not btw

Enjoying the discussion. I will have to disagree about not being able to win with a small lineup. Plenty of teams do it. Right now the defending champ and best team in the country is at a size disadvantage in almost every game they play, are led in rebounding by a 6-5 guard, and average 35.6 rebounds per game. Guess what we average 35.5 per game and are led by a 6-5 guard. The difference is they shoot 60% from the floor and 40% from three, using the small lineup to their offensive advantage. Simply put, you don't have any indication that you can't win playing small. 

As far as whether our team can rebound better, I can look at the game and see players not boxing out, not pursuing the ball, not moving into proper defensive position that would put you in the proper position for rebounding purposes. I can then forecast the coaches improving this and assume we can do better than we are doing. We don't have to win the rebounding battle. ONE more would have been enough to win this game. Seven more or so and we might have even covered the line. 

You can absolutely win with a smaller team if you have the right players. With this team and this roster which I'm talking about we can't be effective with a small team. And it's clear as glass that this roster these guards can't rebound on a high level. It's also as clear as glass that they weren't going to be able to shoot 40% but you can't believe that either. 

You can say I don't have any indication but everything I said before a basketball was dribbled one time before the season started has went EXACTLY like I said it would. You can actually check the last two years and see my consistency. I know exactly what I'm talking about. Like all the team chemistry and youth stuff you're saying now??? Yeah I told you that this summer. 

But yes you can win playing small if you have the players to do so. But when you go small in one position you need to make up for that. We're playing with an undersized pg and then trying to play smaller on top of that???? Yes you're going to get out rebounded badly

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

You can absolutely win with a smaller team if you have the right players. With this team and this roster which I'm talking about we can't be effective with a small team. And it's clear as glass that this roster these guards can't rebound on a high level. It's also as clear as glass that they weren't going to be able to shoot 40% but you can't believe that either. 

You can say I don't have any indication but everything I said before a basketball was dribbled one time before the season started has went EXACTLY like I said it would. You can actually check the last two years and see my consistency. I know exactly what I'm talking about. Like all the team chemistry and youth stuff you're saying now??? Yeah I told you that this summer. 

But yes you can win playing small if you have the players to do so. But when you go small in one position you need to make up for that. We're playing with an undersized pg and then trying to play smaller on top of that???? Yes you're going to get out rebounded badly

I'm not sure how much we really disagree. I think we can rebound better than we did vs BC, do you? 

Obviously a post would allow inside out play and improve shooting. But I think Brown and Lang shot 40% last year without a post presence and so they should be able to shoot similar numbers this year, do you? 

If both this things happen I think we are a bubble team, but the SEC would need to get 5 in for us to make it. 

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

I'm not sure how much we really disagree. I think we can rebound better than we did vs BC, do you? 

Obviously a post would allow inside out play and improve shooting. But I think Brown and Lang shot 40% last year without a post presence and so they should be able to shoot similar numbers this year, do you? 

If both this things happen I think we are a bubble team, but the SEC would need to get 5 in for us to make it. 

I'm sure there were some hustle plays we should have had better effort. But that is sporadic. So no. As far as can we rebound better. This is as good as we are. Let's not forget Dunnans didn't play this game. 

Brown and Lang didn't shoot 40 from three. But no they can't create their own shots at a high enough level to shoot better. On top of harper will be up and down and he will hit a wall in sec play. 

Now if Wiley is as good as they say then lang and brown efficiency goes way up as well as Harper's defensive efficiency. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm sure there were some hustle plays we should have had better effort. But that is sporadic. So no. As far as can we rebound better. This is as good as we are. Let's not forget Dunnans didn't play this game. 

Brown and Lang didn't shoot 40 from three. But no they can't create their own shots at a high enough level to shoot better. On top of harper will be up and down and he will hit a wall in sec play. 

Now if Wiley is as good as they say then lang and brown efficiency goes way up as well as Harper's defensive efficiency. 

Why will Harper be hitting a wall?

1 hour ago, Charhair said:

Why will Harper be hitting a wall?

It's just something that all freshmen do. Harper is probably even more susceptible because of his size. He probably gets beat up more than most. 

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

It's just something that all freshmen do. Harper is probably even more susceptible because of his size. He probably gets beat up more than most. 

Do you think he'll hit more of a wall than the other freshmen? Especially Wiley. 

I remember Harper getting a lot of talk that he was more college ready than most who come out of high school (played in a lot of really good circuits and all star games). 

I could see all of the new guys hitting that wall but with harpers off ball ability and passing, I could see him really building on what he's already doing once he and the team get more and more familiar with one another.

1 hour ago, Charhair said:

Do you think he'll hit more of a wall than the other freshmen? Especially Wiley. 

I remember Harper getting a lot of talk that he was more college ready than most who come out of high school (played in a lot of really good circuits and all star games). 

I could see all of the new guys hitting that wall but with harpers off ball ability and passing, I could see him really building on what he's already doing once he and the team get more and more familiar with one another.

If someone said Harper was college ready, or more college ready than most they were crazy, I didn't see anybody day that or I would've told them. And yes I see him hitting the wall more than Wiley because he's been playing more and Wiley is more equipped physically. 

Hitting the wall is more fatigue based than anything, physically and mentally. I'm sure he'll keep getting better with experience, but he's already showing with up and down play he has to adjust just like everybody else did. Having guys that are finishers, having a post presence, and the guys around him finding their stroke will help him out alot as well

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If someone said Harper was college ready, or more college ready than most they were crazy, I didn't see anybody day that or I would've told them. And yes I see him hitting the wall more than Wiley because he's been playing more and Wiley is more equipped physically. 

Hitting the wall is more fatigue based than anything, physically and mentally. I'm sure he'll keep getting better with experience, but he's already showing with up and down play he has to adjust just like everybody else did. Having guys that are finishers, having a post presence, and the guys around him finding their stroke will help him out alot as well

Maybe he was referencing that statement Bruce made about Harper being worth the price of admission or something along those lines??

7 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Maybe he was referencing that statement Bruce made about Harper being worth the price of admission or something along those lines??

No, the last place I remember hearing it was one of the first few games of the season. One of the announcers was praising his play in the Peach Jam (I believe, the tournament in Atlanta) and said something along the lines of "due to how many big time championship type of games he's played in already (referencing that tournament and whatever else) he's a lot more equipped for the big time stage than he might seem based on age/size." 

Archived