Brown and Spencer Suspended

kwren34

Horace Spencer and Bryce Brown suspended. Out for Coastal Carolina. Pearl Hasn't decided length of suspension.

Link

AUBURN | Auburn will be without two starters when it hosts Coastal Carolina Thursday night.

Center Horace Spencer and guard Bryce Brown, both sophomores, have been suspended after an arrest for misdemeanor possession, head coach Bruce Pearl announced Wednesday.

"They understand they let their team down and the Auburn family down and they feel really bad about it," Pearl said.

Zxmamvjmzpr5xjpniqm7
Brown scored 19 points, making 5-of-10 3-pointers, in the opener against North Florida.
Dakota Sumpter/Auburn athletics

Pearl said the length of the suspension has not been decided.

Spencer has started Auburn’s first eight games this season averaging 5.9 points, 4.8 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game.

Brown is averaging 6.9 points and 1.3 steals per game in eight starts. He’s been in a bit of a shooting slump, making 11-of-43 from 3-point range (25.6 percent).

Tip-off for Auburn’s game against the Chanticleers at Auburn Arena is set for 8 p.m. CT on the SEC Network.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, s***.

Not what we need right now. Spencer is such an important piece of our team. Brown hasn't really found his stroke this year outside of one game but he definitely can't find it if he's suspended. Damn.

Time for the "everyone does it" apologists to pop out of the woodwork.  When are these kids going to stop being selfish and just follow the d*** rules? I hope Bruce makes an example of them.

Can't do stupid stuff like this. Period.

This team needs to gel and play team basketball or the outcome of games will be unacceptable down the line. Talent everywhere.

This is hurting our cause so much to find defined roles for our guys and for the team to build on-court chemistry. McLemore is going to have to step up and if Lang and Brown are both out our shooting ability takes a big time hit.

49 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Well, s***.

Not what we need right now. Spencer is such an important piece of our team. Brown hasn't really found his stroke this year outside of one game but he definitely can't find it if he's suspended. Damn.

Maybe he hasn't found his stroke because he is spending to much time with his toke. WDE

6 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I hope they aren't suspended very long and that they learnt that they can't get caught in the future!

If you don't violate the rules, have no worries about getting caught. 

Been lots of discussion about "team" play ...but guys who knowingly violate rules that are absolutely going to get them suspended for a game or more....sure not thinking about the "team"......   And two very unlucky guys....probably the first time they have done weed and they get caught.....who would have figured it.

3 minutes ago, oldman said:

In my opinion they should be suspended for rest of season at least.

They are kids they need to be taught a lesson not suspended for a year. 

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

They are kids they need to be taught a lesson not suspended for a year. 

They can vote, they can serve in the military, they were arrested at 4:30am they need to know bad choices mean bad consequences. Can't stand " but they are only kids". Maybe they need the military instead.

28 minutes ago, oldman said:

They can vote, they can serve in the military, they were arrested at 4:30am they need to know bad choices mean bad consequences. Can't stand " but they are only kids". Maybe they need the military instead.

The military is the last place we need to send someone to teach them not to break drug rules. I know far to many guys who didn't smoke UNTIL they joined the military. 

47 minutes ago, oldman said:

In my opinion they should be suspended for rest of season at least.

season suspension for first time offenders and it was a misdemeanor? Dang you are serious about discipline! lol Whatever happen to "make them run until they puke"

40 minutes ago, oldman said:

Young people even the ones who join the military and vote still make mistakes. Yes there should be consequences but a whole season for doing something that is legal in some states and has become very common on college campuses should not ruin the season for the young men and their team. The punishment should fit the crime. I know very few people who when they were young didn't do some stupid things. The difference is that most got away with it or didn't get hurt to badly. 

You must be the exception as you apparently never did anything wrong when you were young so you want to throw the book at them.

45 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Young people even the ones who join the military and vote still make mistakes. Yes there should be consequences but a whole season for doing something that is legal in some states and has become very common on college campuses should not ruin the season for the young men and their team. The punishment should fit the crime. I know very few people who when they were young didn't do some stupid things. The difference is that most got away with it or didn't get hurt to badly. 

You must be the exception as you apparently never did anything wrong when you were young so you want to throw the book at them.

Did plenty wrong and paid for it up to including running til I could tell my but bones on the bench and then also having to turn my uniform in. I didn't have the opportunity for a free ride in college to play a game . Problem is this kids don't care about the education., They just want to play 1-3 years and go pro. That is why 50% (IMO) of pro players are thugs. .

5 minutes ago, oldman said:

Did plenty wrong and paid for it up to including running til I could tell my but bones on the bench and then also having to turn my uniform in. I didn't have the opportunity for a free ride in college to play a game . Problem is this kids don't care about the education., They just want to play 1-3 years and go pro. That is why 50% (IMO) of pro players are thugs. .

That is the disappointing part.....and the fact that their fellow players are going to pay a price for this too.  Can't see the suspension lasting much more than a few games though for what is technically a "first offense"...or at least the first time they got caught.

But if you were good enough you would've had that opportunity. I'm sure many of these kids didn't have the opportunities you were afforded as well, and I'm sure you weren't given the maximum penalty for every mistake you made on Earth....And where is all this thuggish activities that you see in the NBA?

But of course the students who got their grants and scholy's from that frat for doing absolutely nothing besides pledging and writing that two page paper has NEVER smoked anything ever....as a matter of fact Auburn students don't do things of that nature.....well maybe a few thugs I guess....

Archived