Brown and Spencer Suspended

kwren34

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Been lots of discussion about "team" play ...but guys who knowingly violate rules that are absolutely going to get them suspended for a game or more....sure not thinking about the "team"......   And two very unlucky guys....probably the first time they have done weed and they get caught.....who would have figured it.

If I were a betting man, which I am , my money would be on the "not their first time" side of the bet.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to an Auburn Police Department incident report, Spencer and Brown were arrested at 2:53 a.m. Wednesday on the 300 block of South Donahue Drive in Auburn, which is the same block as Auburn's athletics complex. According to the report, the two were arrested in a black 2006 Hummer H3, and police found marijuana in a cellphone bag and in the vehicle. 

Link

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Brown is expendable, Spencer....well not so much. Screwed without him

Brown isn't not expendable,he's one of our best defenders even when he isn't shooting well. 

These days this offense isnt isn't much different  from underage drinking. They are college kids after all. Poor decision that is hurting the team. Hopefully theyved learned a lesson and CBP doesn't sit them down too long. There are additional ways to punish. 

I'm usually a pretty strict on follow the rules guy, but this doesn't seem to bad to me. I'm many years removed from college but I remember it well. This is pretty average behavior, especially now. Sit them for a week, run them til they can't take any more, move on. 

8 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Brown isn't not expendable,he's one of our best defenders even when he isn't shooting well. 

These days this offense isnt isn't much different  from underage drinking. They are college kids after all. Poor decision that is hurting the team. Hopefully theyved learned a lesson and CBP doesn't sit them down too long. There are additional ways to punish. 

The thing is that nobody seems to learn from the misbehavior of others..... have to learn the hard way. They probably know the penalty before they do it......but go ahead anyway..

26 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

.Brown is expendable to what he offers and his defense has been piss poor actually but I don't want to rag on anybody. He's one of our best shooters who isn't shooting well and he's not the best slasher. That is the very definition of expendable . 

But yes first time should be minimal happens again though and it's all on him

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

.Brown is expendable to what he offers and his defense has been piss poor actually but I don't want to rag on anybody. He's one of our best shooters who isn't shooting well and he's not the best slasher. That is the very definition of expendable . 

I couldn't agree more. Everybody should receive some type of punishment the first time suspend aa game or two and run them into the ground then bring them back into the family. Second time and I am no longer a nice guy then throw the book at them.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

So does this change the picture for New Williams?

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So does this change the picture for New Williams?

Somebody has to play more while he's out. I think somebody said New was one spot away out of the rotation. If he doesn't get to play I think he will transfer

What I can't wrap my mind around is why Bryce and Horace would do this out in public. Anytime a cop is on patrol and sees a lone car in the lot late at night, it raises a red flag. It is common knowledge that some athletes will use drugs, but the least they could do is use some common sense so that they don't hurt the entire team. I know for a fact that the athletic dorms are not strict on drug policies (especially over Christmas break), so it is baffling to me that they would choose to partake out in the open. The APD is not on your side. Period.

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

Somebody has to play more while he's out. I think somebody said New was one spot away out of the rotation. If he doesn't get to play I think he will transfer

I guess the question in my mind is ...how many players should make up our rotation and will he be in it.   Quite a few teams play with a 7 man rotation...sometimes 8.  Probably the issue is where he stacks up in the guard rotation and is he a replacement for Brown's role with the team ?  And of course if the suspension is just a couple games, it might not matter too much.  

14 hours ago, 252AUfan said:

What I can't wrap my mind around is why Bryce and Horace would do this out in public. Anytime a cop is on patrol and sees a lone car in the lot late at night, it raises a red flag. It is common knowledge that some athletes will use drugs, but the least they could do is use some common sense so that they don't hurt the entire team. I know for a fact that the athletic dorms are not strict on drug policies (especially over Christmas break), so it is baffling to me that they would choose to partake out in the open. The APD is not on your side. Period.

Seems like they weren't using it in public, the reports usually say that they were approached when an officer smelled it or something if they were. I imagine they were just going to a friends house or had just bought it and were going home (as they were right down the road from the athletic complex). I could be wrong on that but that's what I'd guess. 

Getting caught is unfortunate but pot is normal in college. And learning you can't be out driving around with it (especially at 3am) is something these two just learned a hard and valuable lesson about. They'll pay the price for it more at practice then they will sitting out games and legal issues, im sure. No point in trying to further hamper their lives by taking an entire season away from them.

If it was a felony with a gun charge, whole different story, two college kids with a misdemeanor possession charge? Damn, sounds like they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and/or doing something stupid. One game sounds like plenty imo as long as you have a long talk with them and give them some running to do that'll give them a while to think about it.

23 hours ago, oldman said:

They can vote, they can serve in the military, they were arrested at 4:30am they need to know bad choices mean bad consequences. Can't stand " but they are only kids". Maybe they need the military instead.

Don't worry, they'll stay off your lawn, old man.

1 hour ago, Charhair said:

And learning you can't be out driving around with it (especially at 3am) is something these two just learned a hard and valuable lesson about.

So you're saying that they learned, if you are going to break the rules... and even the law... hide it better? Oh, and I guess they also learned that some laws/rules are important, but others aren't, as long as you hide it?

I mean, seriously... is getting high so important? I would say, if it is, that there are plenty of schools in pot legal states, but the thing is... it's still against NCAA rules, even in those states. There are plenty of other recreational activities available that aren't a violation.

I don't think they need to lose a whole season for this, I just can't get my head around how monumentally stupid these kids are and how much worse it is that people defend it with the classic "everyone is doing it". 

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Am I the only one more concerned about the Hummer than the ganja?

Edit: NVM I read it as a 2016 Hummer

So not a Dodge Challenger or whatever the bama guys get when they are playing.   Big boy like Spencer needs an oversized car....but maybe a 4 year old low mileage special might have been less obvious. . 

maybe if they had a stolen gun this would not have been such an issue.....

In all seriousness these two have to be smarter. They have a little more riding on them (no pun intended) than I did while I was there. Once I knew I was about to get serious with job hunting I quit - stayed away from it - and haven't gone back. Not that I wouldn't love to again!

Based on them being with the team last night (but not dressed out) i'd say the suspensions won't be too long. So hopefully we can have them back soon and they learn to be smarter in the future

Won't practice today. Based on that I would be surprised if they play vs Mercer unless something changes. 

Saw a very unspecific quote from BP..."day to day"......had to look a second time and make sure it was not Gus talking.....

If they didn't practice I'd be surprised if they play tomorrow. I hope that's the end of it. 

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Saw a very unspecific quote from BP..."day to day"......had to look a second time and make sure it was not Gus talking.....

This was actually funny as hell. Good stuff ?

Archived