2017 3* HB Chase Lasater

ellitor

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

A decision has not been made if AU will take a FB in this class. The ball is in Lidnsey's hands so to speak. Should know by the time Gus does a in home this week, 

Gus really would have his hands tied if he were not given the option to run the FB pass play. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Gus really would have his hands tied if he were not given the option to run the FB pass play. 

Nothing like a good tRant post huh? 

7 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Pretty interesting dynamic here if I am reading between the lines.  If Chip decides to go with the offer then we accept Chase's commit.  If Chip decides to focus more on a true TE or neither,. Than that may open a slot for Johnson with a LB offer instead of the HB/TE we gave him.   

Johnson is not a LB target at all. The only way we would take him is as a HB.

And we still could take a HB & a 2nd TE.

2 hours ago, tombigbeetiger said:

rather have had johnstone....this staff had better stop passing on in-state kids that want to come to AU.....the state high school school coaches are not going to look kindly on this staff for passing on their kids

It doesn't seem to have hurt Bammur at all. 

I'd say if you truly want to run HUNH, you almost have to decide if you're going to go with the HB or the TE, or someone that tries to do both but without subbing.  

I bet CL is hard at work on his backup plan. He may eliminate us before we can tell him we don't have room. But I'm sure we have room for a couple of OLs for depth who might never see the field.

Just now, autan said:

I bet CL is hard at work on his backup plan. He may eliminate us before we can tell him we don't have room. But I'm sure we have room for a couple of OLs for depth who might never see the field.

1 more OL at the moment.

We must have a much larger wealth of talent than I'm seeing. If this kid runs anywhere near a 4.5 and we may not take him? Geez I don't know what to say, other than he will probably wind up somewhere and come back to haunt us as so many have done that we think we don't need. Eh Zac Cunningham:dunno:

10 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

We must have a much larger wealth of talent than I'm seeing. If this kid runs anywhere near a 4.5 and we may not take him? Geez I don't know what to say, other than he will probably wind up somewhere and come back to haunt us as so many have done that we think we don't need. Eh Zac Cunningham:dunno:

Well Chip Lindsey historically does not use H Backs in his version of HUNH Spread. If we don't take a HB in this class then it could be a clue that this offense is truly Chip's to run as he sees it without much input from Gus..

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Well Chip Lindsey historically does not use H Backs in his version of HUNH Spread. If we don't take a HB in this class then it could be a clue that this offense is truly Chip's to run as he sees it without much input from Gus..

Gotcha. From what I'm seeing on film, if he runs in the 4.5 range, sign him and make a linebacker out of him. Hate to see a hard nose kid like this get away. He is raw, but will see the field at a major level program somewhere. He reminds me of one of those kids we have historically let get away to some school like Vandy, or Miss. State, that gives us fits when we play them.

2 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Gotcha. From what I'm seeing on film, if he runs in the 4.5 range, sign him and make a linebacker out of him. Hate to see a hard nose kid like this get away. He is raw, but will see the field at a major level program somewhere. He reminds me of one of those kids we have historically let get away to some school like Vandy, or Miss. State, that gives us fits when we play them.

Steele & T-Will like where we are at LB on roster & in the class. For them it appears to be finish w/ Tyler Taylor or bust.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

An argument can be made having a TE on the field is preferable to an HB. I feel like tight ends give you more flexibility on offense. Must be a reason most teams in the NFL don't even carry a fullback anymore. 

6 hours ago, mikeholiday said:

An argument can be made having a TE on the field is preferable to an HB. I feel like tight ends give you more flexibility on offense. Must be a reason most teams in the NFL don't even carry a fullback anymore. 

11 out of 12 Playoff teams use a FB

1 ATL - DiMarco / 2 Pats - Devlin / 3 Pitt - Nix / 4 GB - Ripkowski, Kerridge / 5 Cowboys - Smith / 6 Giants - Johnson / 7 Lions - Burton / 8 Texans - PROSCH(AU)

9 Seahawks - Reece, Tukuafu / 10 Oakland - Olawale / 11 Chiefs - Sherman, Ware / Miami was the 12thplayoff team with 5 TE's and 3 RB's but NO FB

22 out of 32 NFL teams use a FB in their offense

Panthers - Tolbert, Johnson / Buffalo - Felton / Ravens - Juszczyk / Browns - Vitale / Bears - Lasike / Vikings - Line / Titans - Fowler(UA) / Saints - Kuhn

Bucs - Cross / Chargers - Watt / Broncos - Janovich

Jets, Eagles, Skins, Bengals, Colts, Jags, Cards, Rams, and 49ers don't have FB listed on their team rosters.

Did some research for you...I like the I backfield and down, down, kick out schemes

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus has brought us to the point when we are upset about losing a 3* FB who never had a comittable offer. The State of AU Football. :wareagle:

I'm pretty sure that people on this board have complained about not getting every recruit we have missed on since WAY before Malzahn.

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

I'm pretty sure that people on this board have complained about not getting every recruit we have missed on since WAY before Malzahn.

I think this is more about some of the people posting on this board than it is about Gus ...or the state of AU football.   Some folks just want to sign anyone who shows any interest toward AU without considering whether the guy fits our program or fills a need. 

Lasater seems like a good kid and if he can play at Iowa or wherever...God bless him.

4 hours ago, au_bsci_04 said:

But our new juco TE is not really in the mold of a blocking TE

Very well may take another TE.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus has brought us to the point when we are upset about losing a 3* FB who never had a comittable offer. The State of AU Football. :wareagle:

We have traditionally used a FB/HB with Gus and I can count the # of 4* at that position over last decade on one hand. Not sure I see your point.

1 hour ago, au_bsci_04 said:

We have traditionally used a FB/HB with Gus and I can count the # of 4* at that position over last decade on one hand. Not sure I see your point.

Agreed...when I was doing the research on FB's (I played the position and loved it) I was actually surprised at the number of them in the league. It can be a very valuable position on the field with the right scheme though. Many times the blocks are one on one and very crucial to the play having success (ISO plays on ILB's and Kick out blocks on big DE's for example) Something as simple as having your head in the wrong position or using the wrong shoulder can lead to a busted assignment. These usually go for TFL being the impact is normally at the LOS. Depending on the offense being used, a FB can be a very important position to get the "right guy"

Not upset we may lose out on one, but if we have a need for one we should go for the best right?

Insiders say Gus has nothing to do with Defense and Defense recruiting.  Now Lindsay walks in Friday or Saturday and he has total control of Offense and Offense recruiting. Why are we paying CGM millions?  What does he do?  Shouldn't he have final decision on all recruits?

5 minutes ago, autan said:

Insiders say Gus has nothing to do with Defense and Defense recruiting.  Now Lindsay walks in Friday or Saturday and he has total control of Offense and Offense recruiting. Why are we paying CGM millions?  What does he do?  Shouldn't he have final decision on all recruits?

I'm sure if he feels strongly he can veto or push for someone, but the sign of a good leader is the hire the right people and get out of their way so that they can do their jobs.  There is plenty to do, running a SEC football team, without micromanaging every aspect of it.

It is down to Lasater now as Johnson has said he is no longer interested in Auburn as he wants to play LB. We need to let him know soon if we want him or we could end up with nothing.

Archived