2017 QB thread (Merged)

aubiefifty

50 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

That is too much athletic ability to waste in a backup or wildcat QB role.

As long as he goes to bed every night and wakes up every morning chanting "high and tight".

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have liked JFIII since the day he came to Auburn.  I would love to see if he could maybe move to a WR position, or special team return man kick offs & punt returns. If he could get past a few defenders, he could light the scoreboard a couple of times each game. DB might be an option as well. I think he could keep up with just about any receiver he would come up against.

If JF3 can catch, with his blazing speed, he'd be a deadly slot receiver. 

34 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Except his aversion to contact.

51 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

If if was a skiff we would all go boating. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

As an offensive player in a "homerun" type of role, that's a good thing.  But, I know you are referencing his spin move, flailing the ball about in one hand, and possibility of turnovers.  But, OMac didn't like contact for the most part, and he did pretty well.  Although, in the bama game in 2010, he did turn it up on the sidelines a few times and dish out some contact instead of going out of bounds.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I can understand that...he still looks like he weighs about 175 or so and is not going to be able to take many solid hits.  So...I guess the trick is to find a place where he can run with ball or catch the ball and not worry about some LB or muscled up DB laying the lumber to him. :dunno:

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

I can understand that...he still looks like he weighs about 175 or so and is not going to be able to take many solid hits.  So...I guess the trick is to find a place where he can run with ball or catch the ball and not worry about some LB or muscled up DB laying the lumber to him. :dunno:

I don't think there is a position in the SEC where a person with the ball is not going to get hit by an LB or big DB. 

15 hours ago, oracle79 said:

As an offensive player in a "homerun" type of role, that's a good thing.  But, I know you are referencing his spin move, flailing the ball about in one hand, and possibility of turnovers.  But, OMac didn't like contact for the most part, and he did pretty well.  Although, in the bama game in 2010, he did turn it up on the sidelines a few times and dish out some contact instead of going out of bounds.

You listed the big difference between the two in your first sentence.  OMac may have avoided contact, but at least he protected the ball.

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

He would be best as a deep threat, where he gets targeted only when he's already past everyone.

22 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You listed the big difference between the two in your first sentence.  OMac may have avoided contact, but at least he protected the ball.

I think he was under instructions to avoid big hits.....what was the point in getting hurt over another yard or two?  O'Mac was one of my favorites...did a lot of damage to the opposition despite his lack of size.   I would be happy if JF3 were anywhere near as effective and dangerous as OMac ....and knew when to go out of bounds....and learns to protect the ball.   There is a place for him....if he adapts to it....JMO. 

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think he was under instructions to avoid big hits.....what was the point in getting hurt over another yard or two?  O'Mac was one of my favorites...did a lot of damage to the opposition despite his lack of size.   I would be happy if JF3 were anywhere near as effective and dangerous as OMac ....and knew when to go out of bounds....and learns to protect the ball.   There is a place for him....if he adapts to it....JMO. 

I agree. If JF3 can run jet sweeps, etc...because he IS or one of the fastest players we have...use him. 

I don't see him being a threat as a WR..mainly because he has never learned that role...or running routes...having the strength to catch the ball with a defender on him, etc. But i can see him on WR bubble screens...only because of his speed.

But it remains to be seen as we do have a lot of quality WRs, especially like Stove in those same positions..

On 12/17/2016 at 8:27 AM, Mikey said:

Nothing was "wasted". If you want to say injuries to the QB and both starting RB's caused us to lose a few games we'd have otherwise won, OK. But nobody wasted anything.

Which games? MAYBE uga. AND that is stretching it by saying maybe. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Which games? MAYBE uga. AND that is stretching it by saying maybe. 

Oh come on WDE... A healthy Auburn team would have destroyed Georgia this year. They could have also given bama a run for it since they couldn't do much against us until our D got tired.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Oh come on WDE... A healthy Auburn team would have destroyed Georgia this year. They could have also given bama a run for it since they couldn't do much against us until our D got tired.

Don't see it. AU's OL was pretty much abused by the uag DL. And LOL at even bring up the uat game. Good Lord. 

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't see it. AU's OL was pretty much abused by the uag DL. And LOL at even bring up the uat game. Good Lord. 

That is because Georgia could just stack the box and go all in, knowing our QB couldn't put anything behind the ball and that we were down to a wounded #2 back, a freshman and a wide receiver. I don't think one aspect of the Georgia game was played well, but put a healthy Sean and Kam in there and it would have been a completely different game.

As for bama... we were down by 1 with 16 seconds left in the half when they, once again, knew we had nothing to offer at QB and were far from 100% at running back. If our D had the stamina to put together a similar performance in the second half, and we had a healthy enough team to muster even some offense, it would have been a MUCH closer game. 

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That is because Georgia could just stack the box and go all in, knowing our QB couldn't put anything behind the ball and that we were down to a wounded #2 back, a freshman and a wide receiver. I don't think one aspect of the Georgia game was played well, but put a healthy Sean and Kam in there and it would have been a completely different game.

As for bama... we were down by 1 with 16 seconds left in the half when they, once again, knew we had nothing to offer at QB and were far from 100% at running back. If our D had the stamina to put together a similar performance in the second half, and we had a healthy enough team to muster even some offense, it would have been a MUCH closer game. 

exactly. 

We had over 120 yards of offense after 3 drives..scored a TD...and THEN White runs for 16 yards and unknown to us...breaks his arm. We didnt have a quality back QB...and GA knew they could shut the run down and not worry about the passing game.

We would not have gone without a first down in the second half without these things happening and I believed we would have scored enough to beat GA...maybe not blowout GA...but win anyway...on the road...

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

exactly. 

We had over 120 yards of offense after 3 drives..scored a TD...and THEN White runs for 16 yards and unknown to us...breaks his arm. We didnt have a quality back QB...and GA knew they could shut the run down and not worry about the passing game.

We would not have gone without a first down in the second half without these things happening and I believed we would have scored enough to beat GA...maybe not blowout GA...but win anyway...on the road...

Yea, we'd need a healthy Kam for the blow-out.

Oh, and for the record, he broke his arm against Oklahoma... with Georgia it was an aggravation of his shoulder injury.

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea, we'd need a healthy Kam for the blow-out.

Oh, and for the record, he broke his arm against Oklahoma... with Georgia it was an aggravation of his shoulder injury.

sorry... true..it was his shoulder and not his arm...thanks for the correction.

No doubt, especially on offense. I think folks wanted Roc to light it up, but it doesn't compare to a player who touches the ball on every play.

On D, well you have Marlon, and now Moutry. Cowart had lots of expectations, but he is like Adams, and needed someone to light a fire under his arse.

PLEASE. STOP. CREATING. AMBIGUOUS. THREAD. TITLES.

Sorry for shouting. 

I'm pre-disposed to assuming the worst when threads are created containing only a player's name - especially when other threads already exist for the player. I see this and assume it's an altercation or a player leaving the team or an arrest. Or all three.

If you're going to start a redundant thread, is it really too much trouble to just title the new one "Is Stidham the most anticipated player since Cam Newton?"

I don't mean to be abrasive, but it's an epidemic around here.

7 minutes ago, bryanlooney said:

PLEASE. STOP. CREATING. AMBIGUOUS. THREAD. TITLES.

Sorry for shouting. 

I'm pre-disposed to assuming the worst when threads are created containing only a player's name - especially when other threads already exist for the player. I see this and assume it's an altercation or a player leaving the team or an arrest. Or all three.

If you're going to start a redundant thread, is it really too much trouble to just title the new one "Is Stidham the most anticipated player since Cam Newton?"

I don't mean to be abrasive, but it's an epidemic around here.

I'm sorry that you assume the worst, but that's a personal issue.

I know I'm not alone in this. I've seen it mentioned many times before. Honestly, not trying to start beef, but it seems like common courtesy in a forum to create a threat title that gives a hint on the forthcoming subject.

Anyway - AUinTLoosa is right - the hype for Johnson (post-Marshall) was out of control. Way beyond anything we heard about Mr. Newton, in my opinion.

Archived