question for cole or anyone with a high basketball IQ

tombigbeetiger

on the goal tending call on Dunnans at the end of the game, it appeared that smith got a piece of it on the way up....does that not negate goal tending much like a tipped pass negates pass interference in football?....granted dunnans should not have played it that way, but it looked like just another missed call by that asshat officiating crew, and they missed a bunch today

I have a normal basketball IQ, but the rule book doesn't mention anything about having been tounch by another player first. That's what Bruce was arging but looking at the rule, if the ball has a chance to enter the cylendar, it's goal tending. I don't think it had a chance with it having been touched but that's a matter of opinion. The refs might not have own that one. They blew plenty more though. 

That's what my thinking was. I thought if a ball was tipped, that would negate the whole backboard rule about "if it touches the backboard first, and then blocked, it's a goaltending." It appeared Smith got a piece and the ball had no chance of entering the cylinder. That was my thinking, but that may not be the rule at all.

41 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

on the goal tending call on Dunnans at the end of the game, it appeared that smith got a piece of it on the way up....does that not negate goal tending much like a tipped pass negates pass interference in football?....granted dunnans should not have played it that way, but it looked like just another missed call by that asshat officiating crew, and they missed a bunch today

The ball being tipped on the way up has nothing to do with a goal tending being called.  There are several factors that have to be present for it to be a goaltend.  1. It has to be a shot. 2. It has to be in its downward flight. 3. It has to be above the rim.  4. It has to have a chance to go in.   If any of those factors are NOT present, its not goaltending.  The ball being deflected prior to the block in question has nothing to do with it.

That's war tiger's expertise there bro. And to be honest I didn't know the answer to that. I see your thought, it like a similar thought to a tipped pass in football and that changes what defensive players can do after that happens. Great question. I learned something with you. Never been in that situation before

17 hours ago, WarTiger said:

The ball being tipped on the way up has nothing to do with a goal tending being called.  There are several factors that have to be present for it to be a goaltend.  1. It has to be a shot. 2. It has to be in its downward flight. 3. It has to be above the rim.  4. It has to have a chance to go in.   If any of those factors are NOT present, its not goaltending.  The ball being deflected prior to the block in question has nothing to do with it.

This is the issue once a ball has been blocked, does it still have a chance to go in. Since this play was so close to the goal, it would have been a difficult judgment to say that it didn't. Also, I don't believe this is a reviewable call. 

Thanks for they guys who answered this and for the guy who asked it. I did not know the answer myself so I learned something new.

Archived