2018 4* WR Justyn Ross

ellitor

18 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Pierce.  Martin is a toss up for a kid that grew up a life long Auburn fan he sure did apparently want that Bama offer.  I wouldn't completely rule Teague out yet, we were going to be the pick if Ohio STate had not offered him.  I think Ohio STate not UGA will end up with White when all is said and done.

If White does go to OSU is there anyway we could get both MT and DP?And thanks for all the great info!!!

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, kd4au said:

If White does go to OSU is there anyway we could get both MT and DP?And thanks for all the great info!!!

I really doubt it KD.  We'll be lucky to get one of the two.  

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I really doubt it KD.  We'll be lucky to get one of the two.  

What I thought, just hoping for both.One of either would be good,both would just be outstanding.Maybe after the year that Pettway is going to have we can reel in some bigger fish next time,like maybe the number one running back in the class,which is what running back U should be getting every year.

37 minutes ago, kd4au said:

What I thought, just hoping for both.One of either would be good,both would just be outstanding.Maybe after the year that Pettway is going to have we can reel in some bigger fish next time,like maybe the number one running back in the class,which is what running back U should be getting every year.

Honestly, both probably wouldn't be a good thing. That would almost guarantee that one is upset. They have such similar skill sets that you really wouldn't be able to use one as a "change of pace" back, so one would end up sitting and not happy about it. You want an underclassman to be the guy sitting and subbing in when the game is in hand or your lead back just needs a breather, so you can keep him motivated with "you'll get your turn" (See Kam Pettway & Malik Miller).

One of them plus Martin, or someone similar, is ideal, because that gives you variety you want when you swap out your rusher for strategic reasons.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Honestly, both probably wouldn't be a good thing. That would almost guarantee that one is upset. They have such similar skill sets that you really wouldn't be able to use one as a "change of pace" back, so one would end up sitting and not happy about it. You want an underclassman to be the guy sitting and subbing in when the game is in hand or your lead back just needs a breather, so you can keep him motivated with "you'll get your turn" (See Kam Pettway & Malik Miller).

One of them plus Martin, or someone similar, is ideal, because that gives you variety you want when you swap out your rusher for strategic reasons.

Some teams that have similar backs will split the time between them that way both are fresh the whole season and also less chance of injury. That prolongs both players careers but it does hurt their getting the visibility to pro scouts.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I agree that staggering them would be good so as to get playing time for each but we did have Caddy and Ronnie Brown at the same time and it worked out pretty well.You just can't have to much quality depth at running back.I would be real happy with either one and really really happy with both,if one decided to leave because he wasn't getting the pt then hopefully we keep the best.

22 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Some teams that have similar backs will split the time between them that way both are fresh the whole season and also less chance of injury. That prolongs both players careers but it does hurt their getting the visibility to pro scouts.

Generally, Gus, and a lot of other coaches, like to split reps with backs that have different skills. That way you not only get the benefit of resting everyone more, but you get the benefit of expanding the playbook. In any case, your featured back is always going to get the bulk of the reps, even if he's splitting time, so like I said, it's better to get one of each type of back each recruiting cycle than to try to make 2 backs with very similar styles happy at the same time. 

14 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I agree that staggering them would be good so as to get playing time for each but we did have Caddy and Ronnie Brown at the same time and it worked out pretty well.You just can't have to much quality depth at running back.I would be real happy with either one and really really happy with both,if one decided to leave because he wasn't getting the pt then hopefully we keep the best.

Caddy and Ronnie were different types of backs.  That's why you hear a lot of teams refer to "thunder and lightning".  Ronnie was more of a bruiser... "thunder" and Caddy was more quick and shifty "lightning".

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Caddy and Ronnie were different types of backs.  That's why you hear a lot of teams refer to "thunder and lightning".  Ronnie was more of a bruiser... "thunder" and Caddy was more quick and shifty "lightning".

Yes ,but both could have been the main back for other teams.

2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Yes ,but both could have been the main back for other teams.

Yup... hopefully we will say the same about Kam and Kerryon after this season... and the next Kam and Kerryon going forward :)

1 minute ago, lkeel75 said:

So that Justyn Ross kid plays WR right? :bananadance:  I hear he is pretty good

Things E would say for 500 alex!

7 hours ago, kd4au said:

Maybe, but if MT wanted to commit rn and us not recruit another back like him we would do that in a sec.

• 3 weeks later...

Talked to a friend who is well connected to Clemson (wife works in their athletic dept.) and he says Dabo is feeling VERY good about Ross.  The QB (can't recall his name) they have committed is really putting the squeeze on Ross and thinks they have a good chance with him.

I think bammer, Clemson, and AU all feel good about him so we should all not feel good about him. I think this one goes to the wire before he makes a business decision.

If I am Ross I wait til the season is over to see the difference chip Lindsey makes . AU has not been the best WR school by any means. If Nate Craig blows up then Ross comes to AU .. JMO

12 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Clemson is WRU

Hard to argue with that many first rounders . 

9 hours ago, tinman said:

Talked to a friend who is well connected to Clemson (wife works in their athletic dept.) and he says Dabo is feeling VERY good about Ross.  The QB (can't recall his name) they have committed is really putting the squeeze on Ross and thinks they have a good chance with him.

Wow, once you put it like that, the kid has to be a Clemson lock.

9 hours ago, blueridge said:

Wow, once you put it like that, the kid has to be a Clemson lock.

Not a lock for anyone, but at one time it seemed to be a 2 team race between bama and Auburn, but it now appears to be a 3 team race.  And we're going up against the 2 of best recruiters in the  nation.  I don't like our chances at the moment.

20 minutes ago, tinman said:

Not a lock for anyone, but at one time it seemed to be a 2 team race between bama and Auburn, but it now appears to be a 3 team race.  And we're going up against the 2 of best recruiters in the  nation.  I don't like our chances at the moment.

We are still in a good spot at the moment but we have to win, pass well, & maybe get Fields to seal it.

On 7/4/2017 at 10:03 AM, tinman said:

And this is for a 'commitment'....

On 7/4/2017 at 10:25 AM, ellitor said:

We are still in a good spot at the moment but we have to win, pass well, & maybe get Fields to seal it.

And I say Auburn flips a couple of commitments this year after we make some significant on-the-field statements.  This will be a unique year for Auburn, recruiting wise.  I predict we finish ultra-strong.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/alabama-crimson-tide-recruiting-justyn-ross-justin-fields-luke-ford-updates

Justyn Ross talks top schools

BEAVERTON, Ore. — Justyn Ross was asked a simple question by SEC Country at The Opening Finals: Which school that he’s considering has the most appealing depth chart at wide receiver?

“Auburn because I think that’s where they are lacking right now,” Ross said. “It does help them a lot because as a receiver you always want to just come in and be able to compete for a spot right away.”

That’s important because Auburn is a big threat to Alabama right now for the nation’s No. 5 wide receiver in the Class of 2018, per the 247Sports composite rankings. The Crimson Tide have depth at wide receiver after signing four last year, but Alabama is pitching to him that it doesn’t have many wide receivers like the 6-foot-4 Ross. In 2018, he’d be one of three Tide receivers at least that tall (Derek Kief and Tyrell Shavers) according to the current Alabama roster.

“They don’t have a lot of receivers of my caliber,” Ross said of Alabama. “They don’t have a lot of receivers who can run and be a red-zone threat at the same time.”

Alabama-Alabama recruiting-Justyn Ross
Justyn Ross is Alabama’s No. 1 wide receiver target in the Class of 2018. (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

Ross played on the same 7-on-7 team as 5-star Clemson quarterback commit Trevor Lawrence at The Opening Finals last week. That’s also important because those Tigers are also a huge threat to Alabama.

The Under Armour All-American is looking for a school that has an appealing depth chart and good quarterbacks either already on the roster or committed. Ross is a big fan of Lawrence.

“Everything about his ball is just perfect,” Ross said. “I don’t know what it is, but it’s always just there on target. He’s probably the best quarterback I’ve thrown with. His ball placement just makes it so easy to catch.”

While it’s clear that playing with Lawrence this past week made an impression, he’s also high on the other teams he’s considering and their quarterback situations, as well.

“I think all of them have great quarterback situations,” Ross said. “You have (Jarrett) Stidham at Auburn, Tua (Tagovailoa) and Jalen (Hurts) at Alabama. Clemson has a good quarterback coming in with Trevor (Lawrence). Florida State has (Deondre) Francois. All of them have good quarterbacks.”

Stidham could potentially leave Auburn after this season and declare for the NFL draft. Could that hurt the Tigers’ chances with Ross if that happens? Not necessarily.

“They have a good quarterback situation with Malik (Willis) there,” Ross said. “He throws a good ball, so I think they have a good quarterback situation even if Stidham leaves.”

Ross has a top 5 of Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida and Florida State. He said that list is subject to change depending on if another school jumps in the mix and shows him something he hasn’t seen. His research into schools begins with the team’s quarterback situation and then pivots to the depth chart at receiver.

But those five schools, he believes, present the best opportunity for him at the moment. He said Alabama, Auburn and Clemson are recruiting him the hardest. Is it likely that his decision comes down to those three schools when he makes his commitment on National Signing Day?

“Probably because of the communication between them and the relationship I have with those schools,” Ross said. “It’s just going to be me completely falling in love with this program and calling it home.”

Archived