2018 4* WR Justyn Ross

ellitor

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

And has real evidence of us having a passing attack.

Bottom line here, with Stidham at QB and our talent at the receiver position......if we miss on Ross, we have really screwed up. Kody's job should be on the line if he does not deliver Ross. Kid is in our backyard...We really need to win this one. 

We have talented backs, we should be able to run the ball and our improved passing game will help our running game. I hope to see Stidham throw to our backs too. I think Cam Martin, Kerryon and Cox can all do really good things with the ball in space. I am excited to see this happen. Wish I was going to the spring game. Might be fun this year if CGM lets them play a little. 

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to get him and the Schwartz kid. That would give us a tall receiver Ross at 6'3" who has pretty good wheels and a speed burner in Schwartz.

I'll take 2 taller receivers.  We got Whitlow and Iggy last year.  They will be on tip toes to be 6'.  

Although I think the plan is to take 3.  Looks like this year may be a little offense heavy

JR got a nice bump from Scout that pushed him to a composite 5*. Thread title updated.

State’s No. 1 prospect sets date, talks passing game

AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn’s most regular recruiting visitor returned last weekend.

Top wide receiver target Justyn Ross has been on the Plains more than anyone in the 2018 class. Ross attended multiple Auburn games last fall. Since National Signing Day, he has been on Auburn’s campus three times — a junior day, spring scrimmage and a softball game.

Perhaps No. 1 on the Tigers’ wish list, Ross has been to Auburn so much that there isn’t much left for him to learn. He’s moved from the educational stage of his Auburn recruitment to finding the right personality fit.

“It’s really just the same thing when I come up here now. It’s just a lot of fun hanging out with the coaches and everything,” Ross said. “Nothing really (left to see at Auburn). I’ve done seen everything now. It’s just about building up a relationship now.”

So far, Ross’ closest recruiting relationships are with Auburn wide receiver coach Kodi Burns and Alabama defensive backs coach Derrick Ansley. Those two in-state schools are the programs Ross said continue to recruit him harder than any other program, which confirms what many have believed for a while.

Ross isn’t in a rush, however.

Auburn recruiting-Auburn Tigers-Auburn football-Auburn Tigers football-Justyn Ross-Clemson-2018 class-A Day-wide receiver
Auburn WR target Justyn Ross (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

As he waits for his mother to return from active duty overseas, Ross will keep doing his due diligence. He’ll eventually want to make a few more out-of-state trips — Ohio State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Clemson, Michigan and others — but he knows he has plenty of time to make a decision.

He’s set a flexible timeline for his decision.

“Right now, it’s National Signing Day,” Ross said. “But if I’m going to commit, I’ll go ahead and put it out there if I know.”

Many believe it to be an Auburn-Alabama battle.

That’s what all the tea leaves say, but Ross wants it known that several out-of-state suitors, including Clemson who he’ll visit this week, are as much in the running as everyone else. Auburn and Alabama are afforded the proximity to build relationships, which allows the state’s No. 1 prospect to make three visits in five weekends to Auburn.

That number will grow to four on Saturday when Ross returns for A-Day.

Ross has seen the new quarterback situation as recently as Saturday. He has been impressed, but that development will key his decision down the stretch.

“They look real good. I see that Coach (Chip) Lindsey is open to throwing it a lot, so it should be a fun year for them. It’s very important because as a receiver you’re going to want the ball. You’ve got to have somebody to give you the ball. It’s very important,” Ross said. “I want to see that they can throw the ball. We know they can run the ball. It’s basically about seeing them throw it.”

How much does that passing-game change make Auburn a factor than it would’ve a few years ago?

“It does put them in a better spot. If I was back then when they weren’t throwing the ball at all, they wouldn’t be where they are right now,” Ross said. “The thing about Auburn is they’re lacking a little at the receiver position, and they have a quarterback that came in and can sling it … I’ll watch all fall just to see what the quarterbacks are looking like at each school.”

Ross doesn’t have a set list. He wants to remain open until his mother comes back so he can consult her and take a few more visits.

With that said, there is a perception out there he’ll stay in-state. Much of that has to do with relationships. Aside from coaches, Ross has developed relationships with two former high school teammates since before his recruiting days — John Broussard at Auburn and Markail Benton at Alabama.

Benton and Ross are particularly close.

“Benton (recruits me harder). I’m with him every day,” Ross said. “It’s a little factor, but not much because, at the end of the day, I’m going to make the best decision for me.”

What helps separate Auburn?

“The people. I’d have to say the people. I’m getting a relationship with everyone around here. … Absolutely (important). It’s going to be my home for the next 3-4 years. It’s real important,” Ross said.

We have to sign Ross or we are Bama's little step baby. He is just way too visible. Our local recent recruiting history with Bama has not been good press for us. It really does not matter if the 3 recruiting scenarios are different, we need to win this one.

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

We have to sign Ross or we are Bama's little step baby. He is just way too visible. Our local recent recruiting history with Bama has not been good press for us. It really does not matter if the 3 recruiting scenarios are different, we need to win this one.

Agree 100%. 

On 4/4/2017 at 2:23 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Agree 100%. 

I agree as well... unfortunately, I'm hearing bammer for Ross.

From what I understand, it doesn't matter what anyone hears on Ross until his mom comes back, at a minimum, and probably until late January, more than likely. He's going to be a late decision.

11 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

From what I understand, it doesn't matter what anyone hears on Ross until his mom comes back, at a minimum, and probably until late January, more than likely. He's going to be a late decision.

Keep hearing this but that won't affect AU. Could be a big factor to other schools. 

8 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

That's fair. I'm assuming she's been to AU quite a few times.

No clue. Not sure how long she's been deployed.

Ross was pumped by what he saw at A-Day. With both Stidham and Willis he knows he will get the ball in his hands.

I know we have yet to play a down in 2017 for real, but hiring coach Chip seems to be the best offensive coordinator hire we have made in a while.

Speaking from personal experience with multiple deployments, when you come home and reunite with family, you do not want to be far from them at all when you get home. It is that sense of "I have been gone for a year and I have to make up for lost time" plus there is always that little voice that's says "I could be leaving again in a year or two, so I better enjoy it while I can". Now she is in the guard or reserve so she won't leave for 5+ years after getting back. But that first year home she is gonna want baby close to home or close enough to see him play ball and visit often!

He said that his Clemson visit was the best visit he had.  Clemson's 247 mod just put in a CB for them.  Its going to be hard to recruit against Clemson's sell for receivers.

1 minute ago, metafour said:

He said that his Clemson visit was the best visit he had.  Clemson's 247 mod just put in a CB for them.  Its going to be hard to recruit against Clemson's sell for receivers.

they are WR U lately with Sammie Watkins, Nuke Hopkins, Martavius Bryant and now Mike Williams. Having said that if stidham and the passing game is everything we expect it to be in the fall kid is ours. 

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

they are WR U lately with Sammie Watkins, Nuke Hopkins, Martavius Bryant and now Mike Williams. Having said that if stidham and the passing game is everything we expect it to be in the fall kid is ours. 

Except for the fact  that Stidham might be gone long before he arrives. Even if they are on the team at the same time, good chance Ross wouldn't get much playing time as a true freshman with the receivers we already have.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Stidham is gone in 1-2 years.  At most that leaves Ross with what, 1 year with Stidham? On the contrary Clemson is bringing in a prodigy at QB this year to go with a passing game/pedigree with receivers that is pretty untouchable right now. 

2 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Except for the fact  that Stidham might be gone long before he arrives. Even if they are on the team at the same time, good chance Ross wouldn't get much playing time as a true freshman with the receivers we already have.

Joey G and him are boys. That is another thing working in our favor. Ross would be a day 1 starter almost anywhere. He is one of the best Wrs in years.

Just now, metafour said:

Stidham is gone in 1-2 years.  At most that leaves Ross with what, 1 year with Stidham? On the contrary Clemson is bringing in a prodigy at QB this year to go with a passing game/pedigree with receivers that is pretty untouchable right now. 

Guys guys guys  your missing MY POINT with stidham. It was to paint a picture that Auburn can have a successful passing game with chip lindsey and he should have no worries about it regardless of who is QB.

Archived