ellitor

2018 5* WR Justyn Ross

188 posts in this topic





3 minutes ago, metafour said:

I'm glad to hear that he is boys with a guy who isn't even a guarantee to play QB.

I'm sure that Ross would have no issue being "boys" with this guy either: http://247sports.com/Player/Trevor-Lawrence-61350

Dude I know who guy out of central casting looks like from the current and former georgia school of QB handbook is. I mean really! does he not look like stafford and jacob eason?! haha....  I am not going to get worked up over 1 crystal ball from a clemson mod. Follow the visits. He is at Auburn almost every week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Guys guys guys  your missing MY POINT with stidham. It was to paint a picture that Auburn can have a successful passing game with chip lindsey and he should have no worries about it regardless of who is QB.

Except that wouldn't really prove anything: how can you confirm that Stidham isn't just really good on his own (like he was at Baylor)? 

Look, Lindsey may prove to be the real deal.  That isn't confirmed yet, even if Stidham succeeds.  The question for someone like Ross still comes down to whether or not he wants to take a leap of faith on our offense moving forward versus what would be a much more sure thing at Clemson wherein their passing offense is always elite and they always seemingly succeed in incorporating elite receivers.  And if they want to get into a comparison of QB teammates for Ross; Lawrence is certainly a hell of a lot better than Willis or Gatewood.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, metafour said:

Except that wouldn't really prove anything: how can you confirm that Stidham isn't just really good on his own (like he was at Baylor)? 

Look, Lindsey may prove to be the real deal.  That isn't confirmed yet, even if Stidham succeeds.  The question for someone like Ross still comes down to whether or not he wants to take a leap of faith on our offense moving forward versus what would be a much more sure thing at Clemson wherein their passing offense is always elite and they always seemingly succeed in incorporating elite receivers.  And if they want to get into a comparison of QB teammates for Ross; Lawrence is certainly a hell of a lot better than Willis or Gatewood.

 

lol That is not what we would be selling to ross. We really just need to be good in the passing game this year to win ross over. It is all about aesthetics in recruiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What world do we live in when I AM THE POSITIVE ONE IN HERE............... not good fam.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'all really don't understand how comfortable he is at AU. I have my contacts at Central High. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol That is not what we would be selling to ross. We really just need to be good in the passing game this year to win ross over. It is all about aesthetics in recruiting.

Yes, and if I am Clemson:

"Their passing game was good when they brought in other transfer QB's who were developed elsewhere as well.  Stidham is the product of Art Briles and Baylor's passing wizardry, do you remember that team? How can you be sure that they won't go back to a run-only offense when Stidham leaves in a year? Their QB commit in this class is barely a QB and can't throw for crap."

I would be very afraid of Clemson's recruiting right now.  Doubly afraid of them recruiting ANY receiver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, metafour said:

Yes, and if I am Clemson:

"Their passing game was good when they brought in other transfer QB's who were developed elsewhere as well.  Stidham is the product of Art Briles and Baylor's passing wizardry, do you remember that team? How can you be sure that they won't go back to a run-only offense when Stidham leaves in a year? Their QB commit in this class is barely a QB and can't throw for crap."

I would be very afraid of Clemson's recruiting right now.  Doubly afraid of them recruiting ANY receiver.

If he was not at Auburn every week I would be worried more. Bo Nix is a franchise qb as well and he is just 1 class later so we have that working in our favor. AGAIN no legacy it seems is EVER locked in to Auburn and is never set in stone but knock on wood I feel pretty good about this one.

Edited by GwillMac6
5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clemson is going to put the press on, but it's going to take meltdown in state (at both schools) for him to land elsewhere. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, metafour said:

Yes, and if I am Clemson:

"Their passing game was good when they brought in other transfer QB's who were developed elsewhere as well.  Stidham is the product of Art Briles and Baylor's passing wizardry, do you remember that team? How can you be sure that they won't go back to a run-only offense when Stidham leaves in a year? Their QB commit in this class is barely a QB and can't throw for crap."

I would be very afraid of Clemson's recruiting right now.  Doubly afraid of them recruiting ANY receiver.

All that changes in a hurry this fall and makes Clemson look like fools.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, metafour said:

Yes, and if I am Clemson:

"Their passing game was good when they brought in other transfer QB's who were developed elsewhere as well.  Stidham is the product of Art Briles and Baylor's passing wizardry, do you remember that team? How can you be sure that they won't go back to a run-only offense when Stidham leaves in a year? Their QB commit in this class is barely a QB and can't throw for crap."

I would be very afraid of Clemson's recruiting right now.  Doubly afraid of them recruiting ANY receiver.

your not going to be on of THOSE people who secretly wants him to go to clemson over AU just so you can be right now are ya?!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

If he was not at Auburn every week I would be worried more. Bo Nix is a franchise qb as well and he is just 1 class later so we have that working in our favor. AGAIN no legacy it seems is EVER locked in to Auburn and is never set in stone but knock on wood I feel pretty good about this one.

I agree with most of your thoughts, but how can we say Nix is a franchise QB? He is just now going into his JR year. I believe he is working his way to a top level recruit. But I remember a QB we signed who lit up the camps, and was given glowing reports from coaches and even ex NFL QBs...(Sean White). And he has not yet shown he can be an elite QB or even a franchise QB. I feel it is just too soon to anoint an EX Auburn QB's son 'franchise'....:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I agree with most of your thoughts, but how can we say Nix is a franchise QB? He is just now going into his JR year. I believe he is working his way to a top level recruit. But I remember a QB we signed who lit up the camps, and was given glowing reports from coaches and even ex NFL QBs...(Sean White). And he has not yet shown he can be an elite QB or even a franchise QB. I feel it is just too soon to anoint an EX Auburn QB's son 'franchise'....:)

His arm talent is a lot more impressive than Seans that is why and he is more fleet of foot as well that is why. He is going to be a top 25 recruit by the time his senior season rolls around. The arrow is pointing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

His arm talent is a lot more impressive than Seans that is why and he is more fleet of foot as well that is why. He is going to be a top 25 recruit by the time his senior season rolls around. The arrow is pointing up.

I understand the measurements, and that is a good first gauge.  Yes, the arrow is pointing up, and I'm glad he has a legacy and I am very glad if he becomes an AU Tiger.

But...the QB is one of the most conflicting positions to be sure about. I think colleges and the NFL have shown with top 25 recruits and 1st round QBs that have failed miserable that I wait to see them perform in the arena.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I understand the measurements, and that is a good first gauge.  Yes, the arrow is pointing up, and I'm glad he has a legacy and I am very glad if he becomes an AU Tiger.

But...the QB is one of the most conflicting positions to be sure about. I think colleges and the NFL have shown with top 25 recruits and 1st round QBs that have failed miserable that I wait to see them perform in the arena.

I will eat crow if I am wrong on this but I think he will be a  very good to GREAT qb for Auburn. I am hoping he grows a couple more inches and adds some more weight but the kid is only 16 I think so of course he will. I know that is a lot to project years out but his film is sooooooooo good. He does all the little intricacies of the QB position so well. He has surely reaped the rewards of his dad being a coach and a qb at a major college program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I will eat crow if I am wrong on this but I think he will be a  very good to GREAT qb for Auburn. I am hoping he grows a couple more inches and adds some more weight but the kid is only 16 I think so of course he will. I know that is a lot to project years out but his film is sooooooooo good. He does all the little intricacies of the QB position so well. He has surely reaped the rewards of his dad being a coach and a qb at a major college program.

GM, I don't want you to eat crow, as I have, and it tastes like...well you get the idea!! )) 

And having his Dad Patrick guide him is very good, as I thought Patrick had very good QB skills mentally, although his son is much more athletic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

your not going to be on of THOSE people who secretly wants him to go to clemson over AU just so you can be right now are ya?!

No, but if you think that we are safe because Ross likes Gatewood and Stidham may prove to make our passing game look good, I think you're in for a bad time.  Clemson is extremely dangerous on the recruiting trail right now.  Their pull with receivers has been incredibly strong even before they won the championship.  They've got an uber-elite QB commit in this very class.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, metafour said:

No, but if you think that we are safe because Ross likes Gatewood and Stidham may prove to make our passing game look good, I think you're in for a bad time.  Clemson is extremely dangerous on the recruiting trail right now.  Their pull with receivers has been incredibly strong even before they won the championship.  They've got an uber-elite QB commit in this very class.

Bama is our biggest competition for him. They recruit even better than dabo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

GM, I don't want you to eat crow, as I have, and it tastes like...well you get the idea!! )) 

And having his Dad Patrick guide him is very good, as I thought Patrick had very good QB skills mentally, although his son is much more athletic...

his dad was branon cox before brandon cox! not the best physical tools to play the position but he beat you with accuracy and his mind!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a positive note, it is excellent that AU is battling top tier programs for 5 star recruits. We need to control the controllables: have an awesome offense showcasing multiple offensive weapons and compete for the SEC title come late November. Do that and Ross (and many others) will be ours. WDE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

On a positive note, it is excellent that AU is battling top tier programs for 5 star recruits. We need to control the controllables: have an awesome offense showcasing multiple offensive weapons and compete for the SEC title come late November. Do that and Ross (and many others) will be ours. WDE

The glass-is-half-empty side is that we have won a Natty and played for a second and are stuck in a cycle of mediocrity (which I hope will pass though I'm at the "show-me" stage with Gus). Meanwhile, Clemson went from being perpetually meh to being the new "it" program. Frustrating juxtaposition......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

On a positive note, it is excellent that AU is battling top tier programs for 5 star recruits. We need to control the controllables: have an awesome offense showcasing multiple offensive weapons and compete for the SEC title come late November. Do that and Ross (and many others) will be ours. WDE

lol Auburn is a top tier program!!! We have had a top 10 class in recruiting almost every year since chizik took over. This is not some new thing that happened overnight. We GET 5 star recruits and each one of them we have beat out the best of the best.

Edited by GwillMac6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol Auburn is a top tier program!!! We have had a top 10 class in recruiting almost every year since chizik took over. This is not some new thing that happened overnight. We GET 5 star recruits and each one of them we have beat out the best of the best.

I guess it's in your definition. Auburn is an above average program and has won titles and played for championships of late. We've also had many more 5 loss seasons than double digit win seasons of late. By top tier, I mean programs like Bama and Clemson who rattle off multiple consecutive seasons of double digit wins and are annual contenders for conference and national titles. And I'm aware of our recruiting success and our signing of 5 stars. The original thread is about Clemson's chances with Ross. The context of my comments is that we are leading or in the top tier for many top recruits, and will be able to lockdown more elite players if we can become more a more consistent program .  Our current coaching staff and roster are built to do that and I believe we will  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fredst said:

The glass-is-half-empty side is that we have won a Natty and played for a second and are stuck in a cycle of mediocrity (which I hope will pass though I'm at the "show-me" stage with Gus). Meanwhile, Clemson went from being perpetually meh to being the new "it" program. Frustrating juxtaposition......

Simple one, really. We go head-to-head against Bama. Who does Clemson go head-to-head against?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fredst said:

The glass-is-half-empty side is that we have won a Natty and played for a second and are stuck in a cycle of mediocrity (which I hope will pass though I'm at the "show-me" stage with Gus). Meanwhile, Clemson went from being perpetually meh to being the new "it" program. Frustrating juxtaposition......

You are correct, and that was kind of my point. Just a few years ago we were laughing at the ACC and making fun of 'Dumbo' Swinney. He's reached the same heights we had attained but has built his program to be a perennial power. This years AU roster and coaching staff are built to put us back on the national stage, and hopefully to stay there for a few years. Landing more guys like Ross would help that cause. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now