ellitor

2018 5* WR Justyn Ross

127 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I guess it's in your definition. Auburn is an above average program and has won titles and played for championships of late. We've also had many more 5 loss seasons than double digit win seasons of late. By top tier, I mean programs like Bama and Clemson who rattle off multiple consecutive seasons of double digit wins and are annual contenders for conference and national titles. And I'm aware of our recruiting success and our signing of 5 stars. The original thread is about Clemson's chances with Ross. The context of my comments is that we are leading or in the top tier for many top recruits, and will be able to lockdown more elite players if we can become more a more consistent program .  Our current coaching staff and roster are built to do that and I believe we will  

 

We are a better program all time than clemson. Do not let the past few seasons fool you. we have the 12th most wins all time. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We are a better program all time than clemson. Do not let the past few seasons fool you. we have the 12th most wins all time. 

Agreed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Agreed. 

WOOOO high 5 fam!!! But yes it pisses me off to no end that I cannot make fun of dabo anymore. He is a legit coach and a even better recruiter. YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME the guy who was the wrs coach who they promoted to interim head coach to be the sacrificial lamb once tommy bowden was canned mid season turned out to be this legit?!??! ughhhhhhhhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

Simple one, really. We go head-to-head against Bama. Who does Clemson go head-to-head against?

That's certainly the simplistic way to look at it, lol. I think we'd be kidding ourselves to say Clemson hasn't become a powerhouse recruiting machine and on-the-field team. The old saw about "they play in the ACC" is just an excuse. Like him or not, Dabo has turned that program into one that appears to be built for sustained success and ready to go head-to-head with anybody. I guess we'll really see this year with all that they lost. Anyway....back to Ross- hope he ends up at AU as appears to be trending.WDE!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fredst said:

That's certainly the simplistic way to look at it, lol. I think we'd be kidding ourselves to say Clemson hasn't become a powerhouse recruiting machine and on-the-field team. The old saw about "they play in the ACC" is just an excuse. Like him or not, Dabo has turned that program into one that appears to be built for sustained success and ready to go head-to-head with anybody. I guess we'll really see this year with all that they lost. Anyway....back to Ross- hope he ends up at AU as appears to be trending.WDE!

My thought there was that we go head-to-head against Bama in every way.  Whether it's on the field, recruiting, facilities, you name it-Bama's goal is to beat Auburn and win championships (as ours is to beat Bama and win championships).  Bama has and will do everything to block us from being a successful program. 

Clemson's rivals do not have that clout.  South Carolina cannot put up that kind of fight against their cross-state rival.  As a matter of fact, we are in a unique position there.  I would argue that no other state rivalry has an Alabama, with its media-darling status, money and power, that can attempt to suffocate its chief rival.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

My thought there was that we go head-to-head against Bama in every way.  Whether it's on the field, recruiting, facilities, you name it-Bama's goal is to beat Auburn and win championships (as ours is to beat Bama and win championships).  Bama has and will do everything to block us from being a successful program. 

Clemson's rivals do not have that clout.  South Carolina cannot put up that kind of fight against their cross-state rival.  As a matter of fact, we are in a unique position there.  I would argue that no other state rivalry has an Alabama, with its media-darling status, money and power, that can attempt to suffocate its chief rival.

Agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, War to the Eagle said:

I would argue that no other state rivalry has an Alabama, with its media-darling status, money and power, that can attempt to suffocate its chief rival.

Ga Tech fans might disagree. TAMU fans would have a few years back. Baylor, Texas Tech and TCU fans still might. Oklahoma State, Michigan State... I mean, no, none of those teams are the *chief* rival of the big state school, but a few of them are definitely major rivals and the others aren't only *because* the big state school is so powerful and wealthy relative to them that they'll likely never be able to consistently sit at the table.

Maybe we can flip it and say that none of the other Alabamas- Texas (even though they're currently down), Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma- has an Auburn? 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ga Tech fans might disagree. TAMU fans would have a few years back. Baylor, Texas Tech and TCU fans still might. Oklahoma State, Michigan State... I mean, no, none of those teams are the *chief* rival of the big state school, but a few of them are definitely major rivals and the others aren't only *because* the big state school is so powerful and wealthy relative to them that they'll likely never be able to consistently sit at the table.

Maybe we can flip it and say that none of the other Alabamas- Texas (even though they're currently down), Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma- has an Auburn? 

Agree with all but tech they seldom if ever go for the same players as UGA especially with the offense they run

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, augolf1716 said:

Agree with all but tech they seldom if ever go for the same players as UGA especially with the offense they run

Good point. And their fanbase isn't such that they actually stay in state and clamor for less preferential treatment from the media and such that favors UGA. And there aren't a ton of lawyers coming from there, I'm guessing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Good point. And their fanbase isn't such that they actually stay in state and clamor for less preferential treatment from the media and such that favors UGA. And there aren't a ton of lawyers coming from there, I'm guessing.

You are correct really tech does not go head to head with UGA very much in any sport. Occasionally they do but not often. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, augolf1716 said:

You are correct really tech does not go head to head with UGA very much in any sport. Occasionally they do but not often. 

Both sides do take the football rivalry pretty seriously, even if they're not even close to being equals. And there are a few die hard Tech fans in the state who take issue with the fact that 95% of the local coverage is devoted to UGA. 

It was funny, though. I went to the first MLS game at Bobby Dodd with a Tech fan, and I asked him if Tech games ever had crowds that big. He said, "Only for Georgia, and even then everybody's wearing the visiting team's colors."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Where is Justyn Ross leaning towards the most?

North..................to Alaska

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Where is Justyn Ross leaning towards the most?

AU

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, War to the Eagle said:

My thought there was that we go head-to-head against Bama in every way.  Whether it's on the field, recruiting, facilities, you name it-Bama's goal is to beat Auburn and win championships (as ours is to beat Bama and win championships).  Bama has and will do everything to block us from being a successful program. 

Clemson's rivals do not have that clout.  South Carolina cannot put up that kind of fight against their cross-state rival.  As a matter of fact, we are in a unique position there.  I would argue that no other state rivalry has an Alabama, with its media-darling status, money and power, that can attempt to suffocate its chief rival.

I agree with everything about your post. But Auburn has the potential to do more than losing 5 or more games seven of the past ten years. We are approaching 30 years without consecutive 10 win seasons. We're better than that, or should be. Living in the shadows of the Tide machine is tough, but Pat Dye proved we could hold our own and then some. My expectation for Auburn is not unrealistic. I want us to enjoy some 3-5 year runs of Top 10 teams and get off the up and down performance of the past few years. We've done it before and we need to get there again. WDE

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree with everything about your post. But Auburn has the potential to do more than losing 5 or more games seven of the past ten years. We are approaching 30 years without consecutive 10 win seasons. We're better than that, or should be. Living in the shadows of the Tide machine is tough, but Pat Dye proved we could hold our own and then some. My expectation for Auburn is not unrealistic. I want us to enjoy some 3-5 year runs of Top 10 teams and get off the up and down performance of the past few years. We've done it before and we need to get there again. WDE

Love to see someone argue against this. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree with everything about your post. But Auburn has the potential to do more than losing 5 or more games seven of the past ten years. We are approaching 30 years without consecutive 10 win seasons. We're better than that, or should be. Living in the shadows of the Tide machine is tough, but Pat Dye proved we could hold our own and then some. My expectation for Auburn is not unrealistic. I want us to enjoy some 3-5 year runs of Top 10 teams and get off the up and down performance of the past few years. We've done it before and we need to get there again. WDE

This is what I'm talking about! With AUs resources, tradition, passionate fan base, etc. we just shouldn't accept the mediocrity we've seen lately...although that is our history, frankly (great followed by meh). If Clemson can break out and have sustained success we should be able to as well, although we do have a tougher row to hoe.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to Ross before E scolds me....

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fredst said:

Back to Ross before E scolds me....

NONSENSE! WE TAKING OVER HERE FAM!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, fredst said:

Back to Ross before E scolds me....

I heard Clemson's pretty high on him...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Ga Tech fans might disagree. TAMU fans would have a few years back. Baylor, Texas Tech and TCU fans still might. Oklahoma State, Michigan State... I mean, no, none of those teams are the *chief* rival of the big state school, but a few of them are definitely major rivals and the others aren't only *because* the big state school is so powerful and wealthy relative to them that they'll likely never be able to consistently sit at the table.

Maybe we can flip it and say that none of the other Alabamas- Texas (even though they're currently down), Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma- has an Auburn? 

NONE ABSOLUTELY NOOOOOOOOONE of those are even close to what AU deals with when it comes to bama on a daily basis!!!!! We have dealt not with just 1 but 2 bear bryants when it comes to bama. Texas best coach and only truly great run retired in 1976. Texas is one of the most overrated programs EVER! Mack Brown was essentially a little longer extended Gene Stallings like run and that was it. Before Macks national title they had not won one since 1970. Georgia I mean L O L we all know about their long run of futility without a national title. Plus like others have said ga tech does not exactly put the same emphasis on winning these days as they used to back when their stadium namesakes was around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "no consecutive 10-win seasons" thing is really just an anomaly. It's a crazy stat because it's not as if we've been a wildly inconsistent program for that entire stretch. I mean, we've had 3 undefeated seasons, 3 SEC titles, 2 national championship appearances, 2 additional SEC championship appearances (5 in all), 1 year with the best record in the SEC while on a post-season ban, 3 more seasons tied for the best record in the SEC West, and 5 seasons with nine wins (meaning we just missed out).

It's kind of just odd. If you look at the seasons before/after our 10+ win seasons (there are 11 total because one was a sandwich year), we had nine wins in three of those seasons. Of those three, one involved both a tied game and a post-season ban; one involved a lost home opener and a lost bowl game; and the other involved a 1-2 start with a loss to MSU. I mean, those are pretty crazy circumstances to avoid winning 10 games.

Oh, and, Justyn Ross! He's not leaving the state of Alabama. Clemson is going to try. I'm sure others will as well. When all is said and done, he'll be in Auburn or Tuscaloosa.

Edited by mcgufcm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Ga Tech fans might disagree. TAMU fans would have a few years back. Baylor, Texas Tech and TCU fans still might. Oklahoma State, Michigan State... I mean, no, none of those teams are the *chief* rival of the big state school, but a few of them are definitely major rivals and the others aren't only *because* the big state school is so powerful and wealthy relative to them that they'll likely never be able to consistently sit at the table.

Maybe we can flip it and say that none of the other Alabamas- Texas (even though they're currently down), Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma- has an Auburn? 

I think part of the point War to the Eagle was also making was that bama is one of the very few schools who use their status, money, and power to try to crush their rival on all fronts... which leads to your very valid point... if Auburn wasn't a threat of unusual proportions for a big state school, they wouldn't care to try to beat us off the field, to make it harder for us to beat them on the field.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I heard Clemson's pretty high on him...

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

NONE ABSOLUTELY NOOOOOOOOONE of those are even close to what AU deals with when it comes to bama on a daily basis!!!!! We have dealt not with just 1 but 2 bear bryants when it comes to bama. Texas best coach and only truly great run retired in 1976. Texas is one of the most overrated programs EVER! Mack Brown was essentially a little longer extended Gene Stallings like run and that was it. Before Macks national title they had not won one since 1970. Georgia I mean L O L we all know about their long run of futility without a national title. Plus like others have said ga tech does not exactly put the same emphasis on winning these days as they used to back when their stadium namesakes was around.

All good points, but I wasn't referring to on-field success. Just the money, power, media control, etc. Don't forget that Texas damn near had saban hired away from bama. That's money and power. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now