ellitor

2018 5* WR Justyn Ross

188 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Pierce.  Martin is a toss up for a kid that grew up a life long Auburn fan he sure did apparently want that Bama offer.  I wouldn't completely rule Teague out yet, we were going to be the pick if Ohio STate had not offered him.  I think Ohio STate not UGA will end up with White when all is said and done.

If White does go to OSU is there anyway we could get both MT and DP?And thanks for all the great info!!!

13 minutes ago, kd4au said:

If White does go to OSU is there anyway we could get both MT and DP?And thanks for all the great info!!!

I really doubt it KD.  We'll be lucky to get one of the two.  

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I really doubt it KD.  We'll be lucky to get one of the two.  

What I thought, just hoping for both.One of either would be good,both would just be outstanding.Maybe after the year that Pettway is going to have we can reel in some bigger fish next time,like maybe the number one running back in the class,which is what running back U should be getting every year.

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, kd4au said:

What I thought, just hoping for both.One of either would be good,both would just be outstanding.Maybe after the year that Pettway is going to have we can reel in some bigger fish next time,like maybe the number one running back in the class,which is what running back U should be getting every year.

Honestly, both probably wouldn't be a good thing. That would almost guarantee that one is upset. They have such similar skill sets that you really wouldn't be able to use one as a "change of pace" back, so one would end up sitting and not happy about it. You want an underclassman to be the guy sitting and subbing in when the game is in hand or your lead back just needs a breather, so you can keep him motivated with "you'll get your turn" (See Kam Pettway & Malik Miller).

One of them plus Martin, or someone similar, is ideal, because that gives you variety you want when you swap out your rusher for strategic reasons.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Honestly, both probably wouldn't be a good thing. That would almost guarantee that one is upset. They have such similar skill sets that you really wouldn't be able to use one as a "change of pace" back, so one would end up sitting and not happy about it. You want an underclassman to be the guy sitting and subbing in when the game is in hand or your lead back just needs a breather, so you can keep him motivated with "you'll get your turn" (See Kam Pettway & Malik Miller).

One of them plus Martin, or someone similar, is ideal, because that gives you variety you want when you swap out your rusher for strategic reasons.

Some teams that have similar backs will split the time between them that way both are fresh the whole season and also less chance of injury. That prolongs both players careers but it does hurt their getting the visibility to pro scouts.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I agree that staggering them would be good so as to get playing time for each but we did have Caddy and Ronnie Brown at the same time and it worked out pretty well.You just can't have to much quality depth at running back.I would be real happy with either one and really really happy with both,if one decided to leave because he wasn't getting the pt then hopefully we keep the best.

22 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Some teams that have similar backs will split the time between them that way both are fresh the whole season and also less chance of injury. That prolongs both players careers but it does hurt their getting the visibility to pro scouts.

Generally, Gus, and a lot of other coaches, like to split reps with backs that have different skills. That way you not only get the benefit of resting everyone more, but you get the benefit of expanding the playbook. In any case, your featured back is always going to get the bulk of the reps, even if he's splitting time, so like I said, it's better to get one of each type of back each recruiting cycle than to try to make 2 backs with very similar styles happy at the same time. 

14 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I agree that staggering them would be good so as to get playing time for each but we did have Caddy and Ronnie Brown at the same time and it worked out pretty well.You just can't have to much quality depth at running back.I would be real happy with either one and really really happy with both,if one decided to leave because he wasn't getting the pt then hopefully we keep the best.

Caddy and Ronnie were different types of backs.  That's why you hear a lot of teams refer to "thunder and lightning".  Ronnie was more of a bruiser... "thunder" and Caddy was more quick and shifty "lightning".

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Caddy and Ronnie were different types of backs.  That's why you hear a lot of teams refer to "thunder and lightning".  Ronnie was more of a bruiser... "thunder" and Caddy was more quick and shifty "lightning".

Yes ,but both could have been the main back for other teams.

2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Yes ,but both could have been the main back for other teams.

Yup... hopefully we will say the same about Kam and Kerryon after this season... and the next Kam and Kerryon going forward :)

3 people like this

So that Justyn Ross kid plays WR right? :bananadance:  I hear he is pretty good

3 people like this

1 minute ago, lkeel75 said:

So that Justyn Ross kid plays WR right? :bananadance:  I hear he is pretty good

Things E would say for 500 alex!

3 people like this

7 hours ago, kd4au said:

Maybe, but if MT wanted to commit rn and us not recruit another back like him we would do that in a sec.

1 person likes this