New DB Coach discussion (Merged)

Metalsinger418

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Metalsinger418 said:

Well, we lost crimedog. Who do you think we get to replace him? What impact will this have with our current commits in the secondary?

Our current secondary commits aren't going anywhere but this pretty much guarantees we won't be adding any other elite DB'S this year.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I have worked with Longo a few times the past couple years. He is a good guy and is a good pick up for OM.

I thought the same. If I was looking for a prolific OC he was in my Top 3. OM fans seem to hate this hire though, seem to think it kills their chances with Akers.

Seriously, I trust Steele and Malzahn to find a good quality DB coach. I actually trust CGM more on the defensive hires than the offensive side. I know he won't meddle there and most likely trust Steele's recommendation. 

Just now, AUBwins said:

Seriously, I trust Steele and Malzahn to find a good quality DB coach. I actually trust CGM more on the defensive hires than the offensive side. I know he won't meddle there and most likely trust Steele's recommendation. 

Agree...and assistant coaches come and go all the time.  If he gets the job I'm happy for him making progress in his profession. 

There are probably some pretty good teachers out there who would welcome a chance to coach at a top contender like AU. 

59 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Our current secondary commits aren't going anywhere but this pretty much guarantees we won't be adding any other elite DB'S this year.

Just because our guys aren't rated high on sites don't mean they are not elite. McGriff has proven himself as a coach and feels our DB commits are elite.

I don't know who we get but the play in the secondary this year was the best I have seen in a long time.  I was hoping we could keep the staff intact.  

40 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Al Pogue at Troy has a very good resume.  Might be a good choice. 

This. Troy was one of the worst pass defense teams in college football. Since Pogue got there he has taken them from the 120s in pass D to top 30 and Top 25 the last 2 years. Plus he knows the recruiting area.

1 hour ago, Metalsinger418 said:

Well, we lost crimedog. Who do you think we get to replace him? What impact will this have with our current commits in the secondary?

Likely means we will not get Hunter but the rest of the commits will stick.

2 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Any think Crime Dawg will stay until after the Sugar Bowl?

No. He was a position coach here and soon to be the DC at another school. No point in him staying when he has a lot more work to do for Ole Miss.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

No. He was a position coach here and soon to be the DC at another school. No point in him staying when he has a lot more work to do for Ole Miss.

That could be said for any coach moving up.  IE Lane at Turd town says he is staying through NC.  Why wouldn't McGriff stay through Jan 2?  Still has plenty of time to get moved to Ol' Piss.  Plus doesn't the dead period go into Jan.  What is he going to really achieve at OM in that time?  Not saying you are wrong E.  That just seems wrong to me.  Seems like to me he should fulfill his commitment to AU before bailing.  But I feel that way for any of the coaches with a new job.  You are not done with your current job until their season is done.

12 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

What about bigbird? 

That might be the end of Golf.  Come on phone! Ring, baby ring!

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

This. Troy was one of the worst pass defense teams in college football. Since Pogue got there he has taken them from the 120s in pass D to top 30 and Top 25 the last 2 years. Plus he knows the recruiting area.

Thanks for the info. Pogue is close to CGM as a former AU staffer, and has now proven himself as a DB coach. Definitely worth considering.

Archived