New DB Coach discussion (Merged)

Metalsinger418

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Umm, I literally was interested if that was the same dude who did that, as I only recognized that name from that specific play. It was more of an "oh wow how interesting".  I wasn't making fun of the guy.

I think the main point of recognition is that he was a very active GA under Muschamp, last year, and one of the guys we were hoping to keep when he left.  Some people had him penciled in as DB coach if Gus had given T-Rob the DC position.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds like a great list to me; I'd be more than satisfied with any of them (except TT....come on man). We all thought it was just terrible when T-Rob left and wondered who could possibly fill his shoes, then we got Crime Dog. I'm not at all worried about this one. Gus will make a great hire and we'll be fine 

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think the main point of recognition is that he was a very active GA under Muschamp, last year, and one of the guys we were hoping to keep when he left.  Some people had him penciled in as DB coach if Gus had given T-Rob the DC position.

I am sure he is a good coach. Not what I was getting at but thanks for clarifying. 

34 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

How do you keep his role limited so that he's not taking any new secrets with him to the next job?  Is it unlikely that he would be in position to overhear or see anything valuable to Coach Freeze in the next few weeks?

1. There won't be any new "secrets" during Bowl prep. Stidham is only getting 2 bowl practices and those will be with the scout team. Also the Rebs and AU don't have any same recruiting targets left so he would not affect recruiting. Also there is no advantage for Freeze if CWM knew who Gus wanted to hire as the new DB coach.

2. Already answered in 1.

38 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I just don't see any benefit to him sticking around the athletic complex or the team.  Someone else can coach DBs for a day.

I agree but  I have no problem with him finishing out if that's what he wants to do.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

How do you keep his role limited so that he's not taking any new secrets with him to the next job?  Is it unlikely that he would be in position to overhear or see anything valuable to Coach Freeze in the next few weeks?  There are folks in my business that when they turn in their 2 week notice to go work for a competitor, I have to purposefully keep their access to new information/strategies limited.

Ole Miss is such a close rival that you wouldn't want to give any advantage to if you can help it.  It'd be different if he's headed to a non SEC team.  I just don't see any benefit to him sticking around the athletic complex or the team.  Someone else can coach DBs for a day.

What could he possibly learn in these next few days about our program that he doesn't already know

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I am sure he is a good coach. Not what I was getting at but thanks for clarifying. 

Yea... I can't say he's high on my list... Love to have him in a few years, but I'd rather have someone with more experience now.

Guess he decided to stick around for the bowl game:   link

AUBURN, Ala.  Wesley McGriff is leaving Auburn to become the defensive coordinator at Ole Miss  but only after helping coach the Tigers through their bowl game.

McGriff will coach Auburn's defensive backs a final time when the Tigers meet Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2. Ole Miss announced it had hired McGriff as defensive coordinator and Phil Longo as offensive coordinator Friday.

"I want to thank Wesley for the great job he did for Auburn this season," said Auburn coach Gus Malzahn. "He is not only a very good coach, but an outstanding person. When I hired Wesley, he told me his goal was to be a defensive coordinator and this was an opportunity too good to pass up. Our coaches and players, along with Wesley, wanted him to finish the bowl season with us and we appreciate him doing so."

McGriff coached at Ole Miss in 2012 with head coach Hugh Freeze.

"I am excited and grateful for the opportunity to return to Ole Miss and work with coach Freeze again," McGriff said in a statement Friday. "Obviously, I am familiar with the history and tradition of success here. This is an elite program, and I look forward to helping this team win championships."

Auburn hired McGriff last January from the New Orleans Saints. 

5 hours ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

If I'm making this decision, my first call is to Corey Raymond (LSU DBs coach), simply because it's a win-win situation. We offer him what we were paying Crime Dog, and 1 of 3 things would happen:

1. LSU doesn't match, Raymond takes the pay raise. We get a good coach.
  2. LSU doesn't match, Raymond stays at his Alma Mater. We are no worse off.
  3. LSU does match, Raymond stays at his Alma Mater. We are no worse off and LSU stretches their budget a little thinner.

Should we not get Raymond, my second call would be to Ron Cooper, who is currently the Interim HC at FIU. He was the DB coach at LSU under Chief (2009 - 2011) and his resume is extremely impressive. Specifically, these are some of the players he coached:

• Morris Claiborne (All-American 2011, Thorpe Award 2011, 2012 1st Rd Draft Pick)
  • Patrick Peterson
  • Tyrann Mathieu (All-American 2011, Bednarik Award 2011, Heisman Finalist, 3rd Rd Draft Pick)
  • Eric Reid (All-American, 2013 1st Rd draft pick)
  • Brandon Taylor (2012 3rd Rd Draft Pick)

Should we miss on both, my next call would be to Al Pogue. He's done great things with the Troy pass defense (though they did regress slightly this year according to national rankings).

Why in the world would we want to have a DB coach who has not been a seasoned veteran DB coach? I see names on the list who have never been a DB coach, much less in the SEC. Why not pony up and hire someone from a school in the top 10 of the best defenses in the country? If you will take the time and research each of the top 10 defenses whose DB coach is a seasoned veteran that can flat out coach DBs and recruit, then go for it. The DB coach in Wisconsin would be a tremendous get for us. If you want a DB coach from the SEC who can coach and recruit with the elite of the elite, Mr. Raymond is the man. Pay him whatever is needed to get him from LSU. Money these days is what it takes to lure a coach away from the school that he played for and coaches for. We have been on the bad side of this happening to us.

11 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Why in the world would we want to have a DB coach who has not been a seasoned veteran DB coach? I see names on the list who have never been a DB coach, much less in the SEC. Why not pony up and hire someone from a school in the top 10 of the best defenses in the country? If you will take the time and research each of the top 10 defenses whose DB coach is a seasoned veteran that can flat out coach DBs and recruit, then go for it. The DB coach in Wisconsin would be a tremendous get for us. If you want a DB coach from the SEC who can coach and recruit with the elite of the elite, Mr. Raymond is the man. Pay him whatever is needed to get him from LSU. Money these days is what it takes to lure a coach away from the school that he played for and coaches for. We have been on the bad side of this happening to us.

Doc... the list is players that Ron Cooper coached.

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i always thought gus was trying to pay kodi back when his qb dreams went out the window when he got the receivers coaching job. and it seemed where he coached at ari or ari state before  they loved him and believed big things are ahead of him. i am willing to give kodi more time and it seems the best receiving group ever to sign at decided to hang with kodi after dc left. lets give him a chance and see what happens.

to be fair they had already signed their NLI and could not really do anything unless they wanted to transfer and sit out a year.

44 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

As mentioned by @lionheartkc, Ron Cooper was LSU's DB's coach from 09-11. Their current DB's coach has been with them since 2012. All of the players that I listed were coached by Ron Cooper.

The reason that Raymond is number 1 on my list is his recruiting prowess. Here is a list of his all-time commits, including:

• 5 Star Kevin Toliver II
  • 5 Star JaCoby Stevens
  • 5 Star Kristian Fulton
  • 5 Star Jamal Adams
  • 5 Star Kelvin Joseph

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

to be fair they had already signed their NLI and could not really do anything unless they wanted to transfer and sit out a year.

sorry my friend. I was confused a bit. The list I was talking about is the one that al.com has listed.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

sorry my friend. I was confused a bit. The list I was talking about is the one that al.com has listed.

Yea, I much prefer 247s list.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Yea, I much prefer 247s list.

what is the website for 247? THanks

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... I can't say he's high on my list... Love to have him in a few years, but I'd rather have someone with more experience now.

Who you wanting if you don't mind me asking?

95% or more of players want to get good enough for the next level. That's why I feel we should hire a DB coach who's coached in college and the NFL.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

95% or more of players want to get good enough for the next level. That's why I feel we should hire a DB coach who's coached in college and the NFL.

This is not a bad plan. Do you have anyone in mind?

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Once in a blue moon a4e.

I see the sugar bowl as an important game for this year's team . We have the possibility of a pretty healthy team and can see what they are capable of . Thus, I am happy that Mcgriff is staying for the bowl  game. There is no particular reason for him to hurry off to OM. 

Did anyone watch the NDS / James Madison game last night? both defenses looked really good. Maybe Gus should call both schools and talk to their defensive back coaches.

36 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Did anyone watch the NDS / James Madison game last night? both defenses looked really good. Maybe Gus should call both schools and talk to their defensive back coaches.

Saw a few minutes of it. The schools seem to have good solid defenses. I do think we need to make sure that whoever we hire has a wide array of coaching success on the NFL level and larger schools.

Corey Raymond. He's been in the NFL. He could team these young guys what they need to learn good college players plus get them ready to take that next step to the NFL in 3 to 4 years from now.

Corey Raymond would be my top choice. I know he has LSU all over him, but if we offer him a nice pay raise sufficient enough to get him to loose the LSU apparel for the best in the world of course is Auburn's orange and blue. This would balance the scales with CDC doing a Benedict Arnold last season!

Archived