Gus on 2017 staff

aubiefifty

al.com

How Gus Malzahn feels about Auburn's coaching staff heading into 2017

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

Gus Malzahn is satisfied with the performance of his coaching staff as Auburn prepares to finish the season in the Sugar Bowl.

Auburn (8-4) improved in numerous statistical categories both offensively and defensively from a year ago in what Malzahn has called "one of those growing years," which will end against No. 7 Oklahoma on Jan. 2.

Malzahn said he is pleased with coaching staff, which currently has one vacancy to fill as defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff is taking over as defensive coordinator at Ole Miss.

"Yeah, yeah, I mean, we're playing in the Sugar Bowl," he said. "Like I said, we expect to be healthy and we expect to play well."

Asked if he felt good about the staff heading into the new year, Malzahn responded, "Yeah. Yeah, I do."

Based on the most recent contracts released by Auburn, at least one and possibly two members of Auburn's staff are only under contract through June and only defensive coordinator Kevin Steele is signed into 2019.  Three coaches are signed through Jan. 2018 and two others are signed through June 2018.

However, Auburn handles contract extensions during the off-season.

Auburn assistant coaches Compensation in 2017 Final day of contract
Rhett Lashee $600,000 June 30, 2018
Kevin Steele $1,200,000 Jan. 1, 2019
Tim Horton $325,000 June 30, 2017
Kodi Burns $350,000 Jan. 31, 2018
Herb Hand $420,000 Jan. 1, 2018
Scott Fountain $325,000 June 30, 2017 *
Rodney Garner $550,000 ** June 30, 2018
Travis Williams $225,000 Jan. 1, 2018
Wesley McGriff *** $500,000 Jan. 1, 2018

* - Scott Fountain's latest contract extension was not released but he told AL.com he signed an extension last spring
** - Rodney Garner also earns a $50,000 retention bonus if he's on staff Feb. 15, 2017 and is due a $150,000 lump sump of three annual bonuses within 30 days
*** - Wesley McGriff has accepted teh defensive coordinator position at Ole Miss

Running backs coach Tim Horton's contract is due to expire on June 30, 2017. It is believed tight ends and special teams coach Scott Fountain's contract, which the school did not release an updated version of but he told AL.com was extended last year, also expires on that date.

Both Horton and Fountain, two of the four remaining initial staff members during Malzahn's four-year head coaching tenure at Auburn, earn $325,000 annually.

Offensive line coach Herb Hand and linebackers coach Travis Williams are signed through Jan. 1, 2018, for $420,000 and $225,000 annually respectively. Wide receivers coach Kodi Burns is signed through Jan. 31, 2018 for $350,000 annually.

Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee and defensive line coach Rodney Garner, Malzahn's other two initial hires in 2012, are signed through June 2018 at $600,000 and $550,000 annually, respectively.

Garner is also due to receive a $50,000 retention bonus if he is on staff as of Feb. 15 and will collect a $150,000 lump sump for having remained on staff for the past three years.

As for the potential addition of a tenth full-time, on-field assistant, Malzahn reiterated he is "all for that" proposal, which won't be voted on until the spring.

"I think most coaches in our league would be for that," Malzahn said. "We'll see where that goes. I don't know. They'll vote on it and we'll see, but I know the SEC coaches were all for it."

Malzahn has previously stated he would have a full-time special teams coordinator if a tenth assistant were to be added. But he was noncommittal when asked this week if he had a plan for what would the additional position would be.

"You know not so much," Malzahn said. "There's a process - it's got to be passed first and then if it is, then we'll make that transition."

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please tell me Kodi doesn't make more than Horton, Williams and Fountain. Am I misreading the article?

27 minutes ago, CR said:

Please tell me Kodi doesn't make more than Horton, Williams and Fountain. Am I misreading the article?

That's really puzzling. Horton is severely undervalued for starters. Kodi is definitely in with the right folks. 

What is current avg pay for a HC that has a national Champ and another NC game appearance? Also Ave pay for an OC that has an NC game appearance? Point is, what do the  Clemson's, FSU? And Ohio St type teams pay ?... 

Coach Horton should be paid at least $400,000-$425,000 no doubt about it. He is likely one of, if not the best RBs coach in the SEC. 

I have always felt that you are only as good as the people around you. I personally would be willing to give some of my $4 million (Gus), say a few hundred thousand to boost the salaries of my coaches. Take care of people and they in turn will take care of you. Horton and Garner in my opinion are definitely worth their $ and then some more $.  T-Will in his first year has shown he will be worth the investment, so other schools do not come poaching. Kodi makes enough right now, give him another year to show what he can do. Same with Herb and Rhett. 

My ASSUMPTION is Kodi's amount is through 2018, while Horton and Fountain are through 2017 and then probably an increase, so the per year amount is more than Kodi.

Malzahn and Lashlee should only get paid by the body of work they've done. Not the crap we've been forced to watch during these 4 years.

29 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Malzahn and Lashlee should only get paid by the body of work they've done. Not the crap we've been forced to watch during these 4 years.

Stop. Just stop.

Here is my take on seeing those contracts. 

Horton make that little, is a sin. No wonder he keeps putting his name out there for other gigs. If I were him, I'd be furious that Burns Kid is making more than me. This isn't a knock on Kodi, just compared to Horton, Kodi IS a kid. 

I absolutely adore the job Steele has done, but I just don't know if he is worth over a million dollars per year. He better keep that up. If we regress at all next season (even with loss of talent) its gonna be hard to justify THAT much. It's not like he is CWM. 

Finally, I absolutely love having Coach T-Will coaching LBs, however if he does not get a major raise, he will not be here very long... At all. 

Like others on here, I'm just blown away that Horton is making 325. Should easily be 500 I can't believe he's stayed around being that much underpaid. In regards to T Will I think in a year or two he will get a pay bump after he's proven to have consistent LB play and recruiting. Everyone else looks about right except for Steele. That's a heavy paycheck just hope he keeps earning it. 

For you folks that forget. Kodi was at Arizona St. with a 300K job when Gus went after him. He likes AU but he shouldn't take a pay cut to come back. TW was a Ga last year making less than 100K so he got a good raise. Not sure why Horton is where he is. I do feel he is very under paid but their may be a reason. He was not retained at Arky so he may have got money from them. A lot of the salaries depend on where they were before they signed here. Fountain was another one that was in admin and then moved to the feild. Anyway a whole lot more to the story than what is shown in these numbers. WDE

On December 23, 2016 at 8:54 PM, doc4aday said:

Coach Horton should be paid at least $400,000-$425,000 no doubt about it. He is likely one of, if not the best RBs coach in the SEC. 

He's definitely due for a raise.

On 12/24/2016 at 10:16 AM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

For you folks that forget. Kodi was at Arizona St. with a 300K job when Gus went after him. He likes AU but he shouldn't take a pay cut to come back. TW was a Ga last year making less than 100K so he got a good raise. Not sure why Horton is where he is. I do feel he is very under paid but their may be a reason. He was not retained at Arky so he may have got money from them. A lot of the salaries depend on where they were before they signed here. Fountain was another one that was in admin and then moved to the feild. Anyway a whole lot more to the story than what is shown in these numbers. WDE

I get that, but compare the resume of the two. then tell me which one deserves to be paid more. 

Since when does experience (SEC experience) count for nothing? 

I get Kodi had just been hired to coach RBs at ASU. He also now has a "Co OC" title added to his resume as well. 

But those things alone should NEVER make CKB make more per season than Horton. 

Granted I am looking at it as if I were Horton. I am not, and I cannot truly put myself behind his eyes to understand him. Perhaps he is one of the most humble people on the planet, and things like that don't bother him. *they would sure bother me*

41 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I get that, but compare the resume of the two. then tell me which one deserves to be paid more. 

Since when does experience (SEC experience) count for nothing? 

I get Kodi had just been hired to coach RBs at ASU. He also now has a "Co OC" title added to his resume as well. 

But those things alone should NEVER make CKB make more per season than Horton. 

Granted I am looking at it as if I were Horton. I am not, and I cannot truly put myself behind his eyes to understand him. Perhaps he is one of the most humble people on the planet, and things like that don't bother him. *they would sure bother me*

I'm not saying that Horton doesn't deserve more, I agree on that point. Just saying they may be more to the story than what is posted. I think that his daughter is at Auburn. Maybe she is getting her education free because of his job or something. Also As some one stated his contract will be up for renewal this year and Kodi's won't. WDE

Just a thought here...

Uconn just fired Diaco amidst the schools worst offensive performances in school history. Last year they hired Dave Benedict as AD (formerly an AU AD member). Given their need for offense and ties to AU, any thought that they give CRL a look?

23 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Just a thought here...

Uconn just fired Diaco amidst the schools worst offensive performances in school history. Last year they hired Dave Benedict as AD (formerly an AU AD member). Given their need for offense and ties to AU, any thought that they give CRL a look?

If I'm Lashlee, that would be a tempting program. You'd have time to make it what you wanted. Bowl games would be more than enough to stay around and figure out coaching at the next level. 

I kinda hope not now since KB is off the table unless he leaves Kiffen in the dust

But that would be a great start for RL as HC. 

So are we really not getting rid of Lashlee? 

I'm not saying that tonight was completely his fault, but we NEED a QB coach that can develop a QB and introduce a more diverse passing game. 

Archived