Gus on 2017 staff

aubiefifty

36 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I agree that Roberts looked good.  I also agree with @DAG that Kerryon was no threat on kick-offs.  My biggest beef, however, was that our blocking in both cases seemed lackadaisical. Just like our tackling on our kicks. Its almost like we didn't practice that part of the game.

Given the offensive struggles, and that Gus probably does not subscribe to the field position philosophy, they probably have not been emphasizing special teams in practice.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do YOU guys like this staff? If you were an opposing coach would this staff scare you? Would you be concerned at all?

57 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Do YOU guys like this staff? If you were an opposing coach would this staff scare you? Would you be concerned at all?

I honestly can't name a staff in college football that I would find intimidating, if I were an opposing coach.  I can name players, but not a staff. Venables and Chief are probably the only two coaches that I consider mildly intimidating on the field, but they are both, obviously, beatable.

Is this the best Auburn staff I've seen... no. But it's probably in the top 3-5, when you consider every member. Horton and Garner are rock stars. T-Will has unbelievable potential. Steele has proven to be the real deal. I'm not sure what to think of Fountain, but he sure has some big fans. It's too soon to make any call about Brown. Gus, as derided as he may currently be, was still the leader of multiple top offenses in history. Hand and Kodi are really the only two "meh" members. It will be interesting to see what happens with them once the new OC is on board.

On 1/16/2017 at 10:32 AM, Tiger said:

Why is it too early to judge Kodi, who has more experience than T-Will, but not too early to judge T-Will himself?

Too early for both.

That's why I referenced their potential in both cases. 

1 minute ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Too early for both.

That's why I referenced their potential in both cases. 

I read your post incorrectly. I thought you referenced T-Will's potential but said Kodi was too early to tell. It makes even less sense that I misread it when I actually bolded what you said. Lol apologies.

But I think T-Will is showing potential while Kodi has more room to grow - based on reports on here IMO. I like T-Will. I think we should be doing better than having a 2017 version of Kodi Burns as our WR coach though. I'm kind of hoping our new OC will want to move Kodi to another place to bring in a proven WR coach. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I honestly can't name a staff in college football that I would find intimidating, if I were an opposing coach.  I can name players, but not a staff. Venables and Chief are probably the only two coaches that I consider mildly intimidating on the field, but they are both, obviously, beatable.

Is this the best Auburn staff I've seen... no. But it's probably in the top 3-5, when you consider every member. Horton and Garner are rock stars. T-Will has unbelievable potential. Steele has proven to be the real deal. I'm not sure what to think of Fountain, but he sure has some big fans. It's too soon to make any call about Brown. Gus, as derided as he may currently be, was still the leader of multiple top offenses in history. Hand and Kodi are really the only two "meh" members. It will be interesting to see what happens with them once the new OC is on board.

I can. 

Saban and whoever that coaches with him is intimidating. He's made life in the SEC miserable for a very long time. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Venables and Chief are probably the only two coaches that I consider mildly intimidating on the field, but they are both, obviously, beatable.

Why are they on the field and what are you talking about? 

:dead:

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

But I think T-Will is showing potential while Kodi has more room to grow - based on reports on here IMO

In other words, T-Will has started to live up to his potential, Kodi has not and was probably a bad hire.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

In other words, T-Will has started to live up to his potential, Kodi has not and was probably a bad hire.

Basically, yes. Arky State level hire IMO

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

If we are willing to make a "kodicat" (TM belonging to WDE) type of hire, you'd think we wouldn't mind hiring an NFL HOFamer for our tenth spot.  But guess that's just me.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

If we are willing to make a "kodicat" (TM belonging to WDE) type of hire, you'd think we wouldn't mind hiring an NFL HOFamer for our tenth spot.  But guess that's just me.

That makes sense and it's not just you but I cannot bank on common sense being utilized anymore with Gus. I'm fully in "I have to see it to believe it" mode with him now. 

14 minutes ago, Tiger said:

While I agree that Kodi is a weak point on our staff, overall, you do have to admit that it is interesting that our wide receivers performed much better this year than they did under a coach that many fans would like to come back on staff.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While I agree that Kodi is a weak point on our staff, overall, you do have to admit that it is interesting that our wide receivers performed much better this year than they did under a coach that many fans would like to come back on staff.

Better talent than last year. 

21 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I read your post incorrectly. I thought you referenced T-Will's potential but said Kodi was too early to tell. It makes even less sense that I misread it when I actually bolded what you said. Lol apologies.

But I think T-Will is showing potential while Kodi has more room to grow - based on reports on here IMO. I like T-Will. I think we should be doing better than having a 2017 version of Kodi Burns as our WR coach though. I'm kind of hoping our new OC will want to move Kodi to another place to bring in a proven WR coach. 

No worries.

And I agree with your assessment.  At this point in each of their careers, I believe TWill's ceiling is a lot higher.  

I hope they both become rock stars. 

Just now, lionheartkc said:

I'm not completely sold on the idea our WRs were coached better this past year compared to our depleted WR unit that Craig was coaching in 2015.

17 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm not completely sold on the idea our WRs were coached better this past year compared to our depleted WR unit that Craig was coaching in 2015.

Can't say whether they were coached better or not, but they performed better... that includes M. Davis and Stevens. Stevens was A LOT better.... twice the number of receptions for 3 times the yards and 3 times the touchdowns.  Marcus had half as many receptions, but nearly the same number of yards.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Can't say whether they were coached better or not, but they performed better... that includes M. Davis and Stevens. Stevens was A LOT better.... twice the number of receptions for 3 times the yards and 3 times the touchdowns.  Marcus had half as many receptions, but nearly the same number of yards.

How do we know that isn't because of increased opportunity? I'm curious to see what Steven's drop rate was compared to his prior seasons. Davis IMO did nothing but decline from his freshman year and Burn did not reverse that trend. Both guys had multiple crucial 3rd down drops or just lacking overall awareness to get past the sticks etc.

I agree they were more productive but I'm not sure if the stats are improved because of the number of chances increased or if they were actually playing better

Just now, Tiger said:

How do we know that isn't because of increased opportunity? I'm curious to see what Steven's drop rate was compared to his prior seasons. Davis IMO did nothing but decline from his freshman year and Burn did not reverse that trend. Both guys had multiple crucial 3rd down drops or just lacking overall awareness to get past the sticks etc.

I agree they were more productive but I'm not sure if the stats are improved because of the number of chances increased or if they were actually playing better

Unfortunately, finding drop statistics is really difficult... That being said, it felt like there were fewer drops. Each of them was good for one drop per game, but last year it felt like no one could hold on to the ball.

In any case, the fact that both improved in yards per catch shows an improvement above and beyond just opportunity. They were making the harder catches this year.

3 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Here are the targets, receptions, drops, catch rates and yardage information for Auburn’s nine receivers who have made catches in 2016:

PLAYER TGT REC DROP YDS RATE YDS/TGT YDS/REC
Tony Stevens 36 24 3 408 66.00% 11.33 17.00
Ryan Davis 22 19 0 155 86.36% 7.05 8.16
Marcus Davis 20 13 4 100 65.00% 5.00 7.69
Kyle Davis 14 9 0 212 64.29% 15.14 23.56
Will Hastings 13 9 2 68 69.23% 5.23 7.56
Darius Slayton 9 6 0 115 66.67% 12.78 19.17
Stanton Truitt 5 3 1 20 60.00% 4.00 6.67
Nate Craig-Myers 2 2 0 48 100.00% 24.00 24.00
Eli Stove 2 2 0 20 100.00% 10.00 10.00

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/fergs-film-room-adding-up-formations-passing-targets-lb-combos-and-more-from-first-half-of-2016

Thanks... though that can't be right.  Stevens dropped more than 3. I'd be interested to see their criteria for a "drop" if they think he only dropped 3.  I can think of 3 he dropped in the end zone alone. This list is also missing Kam Martin and his critical drop against Georgia.

**UPDATE** I see that this is just the first half of the season.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Thanks... though that can't be right.  Stevens dropped more than 3. I'd be interested to see their criteria for a "drop" if they think he only dropped 3.  I can think of 3 he dropped in the end zone alone.

I deleted my post. The stats were only for the first half of the season. I knew that when I posted but failed to mention it.

4 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Here are the targets, receptions, drops, catch rates and yardage information for Auburn’s nine receivers who have made catches in 2016:

PLAYER TGT REC DROP YDS RATE YDS/TGT YDS/REC
Tony Stevens 36 24 3 408 66.00% 11.33 17.00
Ryan Davis 22 19 0 155 86.36% 7.05 8.16
Marcus Davis 20 13 4 100 65.00% 5.00 7.69
Kyle Davis 14 9 0 212 64.29% 15.14 23.56
Will Hastings 13 9 2 68 69.23% 5.23 7.56
Darius Slayton 9 6 0 115 66.67% 12.78 19.17
Stanton Truitt 5 3 1 20 60.00% 4.00 6.67
Nate Craig-Myers 2 2 0 48 100.00% 24.00 24.00
Eli Stove 2 2 0 20 100.00% 10.00 10.00

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/fergs-film-room-adding-up-formations-passing-targets-lb-combos-and-more-from-first-half-of-2016

just so people don't get confused, these are first half of the season numbers, not the entire season.

The main thing that jumps out at me from that chart is that if your last name is Davis, you have a 99% chance of playing football at Auburn.

Just now, Strychnine said:

The main thing that jumps out at me from that chart is that if your last name is Davis, you have a 99% chance of playing football at Auburn.

Indeed... and this only scratches the surface of our Davis infestation. 

Archived