Gus on 2017 staff

aubiefifty

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

In any case, the fact that both improved in yards per catch shows an improvement above and beyond just opportunity. They were making the harder catches this year.

The entire offense improved, including the QB who was throwing them the ball.  Those of you who are stretching to convince yourselves that Burns is a better WR coach than Craig have very little to actually stand on.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, lionheartkc said:

Indeed... and this only scratches the surface of our Davis infestation. 

Auburn football is being overrun by the Davis Borg.

Just now, metafour said:

The entire offense improved, including the QB who was throwing them the ball.  Those of you who are stretching to convince yourselves that Burns is a better WR coach than Craig have very little to actually stand on.

I think the case I'm trying to make is that Craig isn't a very good receiver coach, but is revered while Kodi is derided, partially because he hasn't had time to prove himself and partially because of circumstances surrounding why he's on the staff to begin with. 

I would argue that the gap between the quality of on field coaching between Craig and Kodi, when it comes to receivers, is pretty darn small. Now, let Craig coach QBs and you have a different story. Also Craig destroys Kodi as a recruiter. But people need to lay off of him as an on-field coach if they are going to consider Craig a decent receivers coach.

37 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I would argue that the gap between the quality of on field coaching between Craig and Kodi, when it comes to receivers, is pretty darn small.

I would argue that Craig is only slightly better than kodicat at coaching WRs if that makes you feel better. The difference is that while Craig is slightly better than Kodi  when coaching on the field, he is also one of the best recruiters in the nation. Kodi is still below average in that department. These facts make Craig  the most valuable of the two by a mile.

Just now, aufan57 said:

This site has breakdown of Auburn Football Stats for 2016. I was looking for drop passes but not provided.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2016-auburn-advanced-statistical-profile

Yea, the problem is, it's not an official stat, so to get it you have to watch the games yourself and count.

59 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Unfortunately, finding drop statistics is really difficult... That being said, it felt like there were fewer drops. Each of them was good for one drop per game, but last year it felt like no one could hold on to the ball.

In any case, the fact that both improved in yards per catch shows an improvement above and beyond just opportunity. They were making the harder catches this year.

Also our passing attack from the QB spot was better this year compared to last year IMO. I don't think anyone on this board has said Craig was a plus WR coach, but he was average at best in that role considering he was coaching out of position. His recruiting, as @aujeff11 mentioned is what makes him such a valuable asset. We replaced DC with someone who is not proven enough to hold such a position at AU (proven in the sense of being a good WR coach or recruiter). We took an L there with that trade-off. We lost a sure thing (Craig's recruiting) with an A+ recruiter/C to C+ WR coach and replaced him with someone who's most impressive credentials date back to 2010 -- when he was 22 years old and on the roster as a player.

I would take Craig over 2017 Burns 10/10 times on a staff. JMO

I suspect we will pass more in the next 2-3 years inflating our WR numbers so Kodi and these potentially great WRs we have will have plenty of opportunity to show out

Nobody can measure anything with the wr's as far as coached better. Stevens hasn't played any better. M Davis damn sure hasn't. It's just more indirectly siding with Gus because if you really like Gus you don't want to say he messed up big time with CDC. 

I remember after the first couple of games people tried to start talking about how much better the wr's we're fundamentally.....nope. When we ever have amazing qb play then you will see amazing wr's period. There was definitely a talent upgrade recently, nobody can deny that....And that's because of CDC. 

Fire JJ!!!

this is always true. no matter the circumstances

Even if the circumstance is just poking at A4E...

yes why of course! firing JJ is the 1 thing we Auburn fans do not take lightly. I will always have my pitchfork handy for him.

On January 17, 2017 at 0:03 PM, aujeff11 said:

I would argue that Craig is only slightly better than kodicat at coaching WRs if that makes you feel better. The difference is that while Craig is slightly better than Kodi  when coaching on the field, he is also one of the best recruiters in the nation. Kodi is still below average in that department. These facts make Craig  the most valuable of the two by a mile.

You are comparing a 42 year old Craig VS.  a 28 year old Burns. So I would expect Craig to be better.

Slamming Burns is an unfair comparison.

Craig has 5 five years of playing pro football and 13 years of high school, grad assistant, college and NFL coaching experience. 

Burns has 2 years as a GA and 3 years coaching.

Now Craig at age 28 was just a GA at LSU.

So if comparing them by age 28, Burns would be the more valuable of the two.

46 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

This isn't his fault. Doesn't have the resume or sources for an Auburn coaching spot though.

12 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

You are comparing a 42 year old Craig VS.  a 28 year old Burns. So I would expect Craig to be better.

Slamming Burns is an unfair comparison.

Craig has 5 five years of playing pro football and 13 years of high school, grad assistant, college and NFL coaching experience. 

Now Craig at age 28 was just a GA at LSU.

So if comparing them by age 28, Burns would be the more valuable of the two.

We're comparing two people who have held the position of WR Coach at Auburn University; therefore, it is not invalid to compare them.

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

We're comparing two people who have held the position of WR Coach at Auburn University; therefore, it is not invalid to compare them.

Using that logic you could compare any two people who have held the same position at Auburn University during any timeframe, and that would be a ridiculous never ending topic.  That's like trying to compare a sales rep against a regional manager. 

From a recruiting standpoint, let's look at this way...are Hand/Burns better than Grimes/Craig.  We need an elite recruiter on the O side.  Hand is a step up from Grimes...not sure that he can match Craig.  Is Burns an upgrade over Grimes?...probably in the long run.  I think we hired him 2 or 3 seasons too soon.

1 minute ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Using that logic you could compare any two people who have held the same position at Auburn University during any timeframe, and that would be a ridiculous never ending topic.  That's like trying to compare a sales rep against a regional manager. 

They were both WR coaches on Gus' staff and holding the position in consecutive order.  It is reasonable to compare the results they obtain because the job has certain criteria that should be met regardless of the experience of the coach filling that position.  It's also valid to compare them as recruiters as that is part of the job.  Where the difference in experience generally factors in is in the salaries that the respective coaches make.  But it is absolutely valid to compare the two in their effectiveness as WR coaches within Gus' offensive system.  

Archived