Baylor's new coach

doc4aday

I am looking forward to seeing how their new coach will do at Baylor. Are there any strict penalties that are coming down from the NCAA that will limit scholarships placed on Baylor? I have not kept up with this as much as others have. I do hope the new coach will be successful and will get Baylor back on a winning track. I wonder if the offense they will run will be similar to what Briles ran?

Their issue is criminal, the NCAA will likely never step into something like that again after the Penn State debacle.  No allegations of NCAA violations I don't believe and Title IX investigations are under the jurisdiction of the federal government (Dept of Education) with penalties meted out at the institutional level.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 7:50 PM, PowerOfDixieland said:

Their issue is criminal, the NCAA will likely never step into something like that again after the Penn State debacle.  No allegations of NCAA violations I don't believe and Title IX investigations are under the jurisdiction of the federal government (Dept of Education) with penalties meted out at the institutional level.

what type of penalties do you think the DOE could charge them? Could the DOE enact scholarship losses?  I do appreciate your info for sure! 

• 2 months later...

More abhorrent behavior at Baylor becomes known. Wonder if Matt Rhule wishes he had stayed at Temple.

The sickening news at Baylor just keeps coming -- and this just a few days after Bears women’s basketball coach Kim Mulkey vehemently defended the university (to put it lightly). 

KWTX reports that Bears defensive back Travon Blanchard has been named in a protective order issued by a McLennan County judge after a woman, with whom Blanchard had a relationship, accused him of multiple acts of violence over the last eight months.

The affidavit filed for the order lists the following alleged incidents in which Blanchard became violent towards the woman.

1. On Feb. 4, Blanchard “began verbally abusing the applicant” after a waiter approached the woman at a restaurant. Blanchard followed the woman out of the restaurant and broker her finger, cutting it so badly she could not have it stitched. After police were flagged down, Blanchard fled the scene. 
  2. In January, Blanchard became angry with the woman when she received a Snapchat from a male friend and “began verbally abusing the applicant.”
  3. Last November, Blanchard “grabbed both of [the woman’s] arms, backed her up roughly 10 feet, slammed her against the car, and threw her on the floor” after she made a post on Twitter. 
  4. On July 4, 2016, Blanchard was upset with the woman for having fun with friends and “rushed the applicant, grabbed her by her wrists, began swearing and insulting her, and attempted to force himself and the applicant into her apartment.” He let go of her when police threatened to arrest him. 

Blanchard has been suspended from the team since Feb. 7 pending the outcome of the investigation.

“Immediately upon notification on Feb. 7, the appropriate campus student-conduct process was initiated and Blanchard was suspended indefinitely from all team related activities, pending the outcome of the investigation,” Baylor said in a statement.. 

Blanchard was an All-Big 12 honorable mention in 2016 and is returning for his senior season with the Bears. The recent allegations only add to what has been a horrific series of events for the school over the past few years. In January, a federal lawsuit against Baylor claimed 31 football players committed 52 acts of rape from 2011 to 2014. Baylor regents last fall confirmed to the Wall Street Journal that 17 women came forward alleging 19 football player assaulted them. 

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/baylor-suspends-db-amid-multiple-allegations-of-domestic-violence/

• 4 weeks later...

I read an article on their new head coach and he appears to be the type guy who is not afraid of facing adversity. He'll be staring straight down a double barrel full of it in Waco.

He's a good coach who like smash mouth football who always had Temple prepared. I just think its going to be really hard to handle all the adversity and also try and move Baylor to his style of play. If that is what he is planning on doing.

I hope he got a contract that is going to give him the latitude to weather the storm.  It could be another year before everything shakes out from this mess. With that he could have a hard time getting above average recruits to sign for several years. Until the recruits come the wins won't be there and that is where the administration needs to realize its not his fault. Terminating him after 3 or 4 years due to lack of wins and brining in a new coach won't solve the problem. I think he need at least 6 to 7 years stability to build Baylor back up. 

12 hours ago, AUwent said:

Man, what is it with Temple coaches stepping into major scandals? First Golden and now Rhule.

As to your question, I'm useless, but

Golden/Rhule/Temple - there's got to be a very inspirational message or a very bad joke buried somewhere in this juxtaposition.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

I hope their football team is so bad for so long that they drop the sport.

So, basically what they were, for decades, before Briles came along...

On 2/28/2017 at 10:06 PM, aufan57 said:

More abhorrent behavior at Baylor becomes known. Wonder if Matt Rhule wishes he had stayed at Temple.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/baylor-suspends-db-amid-multiple-allegations-of-domestic-violence/

I wonder who the hell was holding a gun to this females head, forcing her take the continued verbal, mental and physical abuse she took from Blanchard for months and months on end?  Over 8 months if abuse, living a nightmare at the hands of a college aged, dangerously jealous psycho?

Archived