UCONN post game. AUB wins 70-67

AUBwins

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off years or not this has been a huge week for our program. I am pumped beyond words

This is major tangible progress!

A basketball win over UCONN?? I'll take that everyday and twice on Sunday. Let's not be divas about this...AU just beat UConn in bball. I'm sure I've never typed that before. 

10-2

4 Wins in 4 games in 9 days!

That is tournament level play - you can see what Pearl is doing with this team and it is paying off.

SEC play will be tough, but these wins should give the team quite a boost of confidence.

Glad I missed the play-by-play narrative . Complaining and negative comments would have driven me nuts . Beating Uconn on their floor is a great win for this young team......mistakes happen...team just had to play through them...which they did.

Just now, NoALtiger said:

A basketball win over UCONN?? I'll take that everyday and twice on Sunday. Let's not be divas about this...AU just beat UConn in bball. I'm sure I've never typed that before. 

Agreed. On a day we didn't play well enough to truly deserve a win, we played hard enough to gut it out. Harper put this team on his back at times and created points when no one else could. I believe our issue today was legs. Even though we sub a lot, 3 games basically back to back wore us out. This is likely why we shot horrendously from the floor (last I saw was 31 percent). Our guys just didn't have fresh enough legs to get a rythym going shooting the ball. We made up for it on defense and just all around effort though. While Uconn wasnt at their prime today, it's been years since we had a team capable of beating any Uconn team...let alone at the tail end of a 3 game stretch in 6 days including a game against a last years final 4 team. Heck, the OK win was one we couldn't have won in the last 15 years. This is another in the same category. Had we had fresh legs today, we could have won that game by 20. Guys working hard for sure. 

Ugly, ugly W - but a W! Obviously a tired team, but we somehow pulled it out. On a normal day, we win this one going away, but winning like this may actually help us more down the road.

What was up with that 1.4 seconds crap at the end? I know everyone will just sweep that under the rug since AU won, but that was some blatant cheating there.

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Glad I missed the play-by-play narrative . Complaining and negative comments would have driven me nuts . Beating Uconn on their floor is a great win for this young team......mistakes happen...team just had to play through them...which they did.

Just read through the game thread since I was stuck following on gamecast and listening to the radio. It's as bad as you said. 

This is a game AU didn't have the players to win in the last 10+ years. I don't care how bad UCONN is compared to previous years, that's a huge win. OU as well. 

6 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

On a day we didn't play well enough to truly deserve a win, we played hard enough to gut it out.

Hogwash. AU deserved to win more than UCONN because they scored 3 more points. 

it so wonderful to be able to bitch and gripe about how an AU basketball team played in a win over  UCONN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....as soon as they learn HOW to play together,man o' man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....these freshmen have testicles the size of a hot air balloon....i get aggravated,frustrated, pulling my hair out, screaming,cussing, but damn, its all good...frickin' AUBURN is winning basketball games against national caliber teams.......piss on the sugar bowl, lets play another basketball game............whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Just now, jared52 said:

Just read through the game thread since I was stuck following on gamecast and listening to the radio. It's as bad as you said. 

This is a game AU didn't have the players to win in the last 10+ years. I don't care how bad UCONN is compared to previous years, that's a huge win. OU as well. 

I didn't see the bad complaining other than about refs, Dunans playing out of control and Spencer getting an attitude as soon as he got on the floor (all reasonable complaints).  Most realized we were worn out.  Of course I didn't tune in to the first half of the thread

ive been on the Jared Harper fanbase since day one so it goes without saying that I loved his play tonight and this week. Very clutch, has come up with big defensive plays and late game baskets. 

Uconn is no Duke this year but they are still a solid team. And we yet again found a way to hold onto a win against a good team with a good coach. 

This week will look good on a tournament resume 

5 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Hogwash. AU deserved to win more than UCONN because they scored 3 more points. 

You obviously don't understand the difference between playing well enough to deserve to win and gutting it out to find a way to win when you don't. Anyone that's played any kind of competitive sport knows what I mean. 

3 minutes ago, Charhair said:

ive been on the Jared Harper fanbase since day one so it goes without saying that I loved his play tonight and this week. Very clutch, has come up with big defensive plays and late game baskets. 

Uconn is no Duke this year but they are still a solid team. And we yet again found a way to hold onto a win against a good team with a good coach. 

This week will look good on a tournament resume 

Harper was a beast today no doubt. He's a special talent 

Winning on the road carries a lot of weight.  OU counts as neutral site game.  UConn was a true road game. 

I kept thinking we were going to let them get away with something towards the end and lose the game. This young team continues to prove they should not be taken lightly. 10-2 with 3 resume boosting wins (4 if one of those mid-majors can prove they are the dominant force in their conference). Very happy with the way this NOCO season ended up. Go get some rest and BEAT THE DAWGS

Archived