UCONN post game. AUB wins 70-67

AUBwins

20 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

it so wonderful to be able to bitch and gripe about how an AU basketball team played in a win over  UCONN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....as soon as they learn HOW to play together,man o' man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....these freshmen have testicles the size of a hot air balloon....i get aggravated,frustrated, pulling my hair out, screaming,cussing, but damn, its all good...frickin' AUBURN is winning basketball games against national caliber teams.......piss on the sugar bowl, lets play another basketball game............whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

This man should get an award for this post

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Harper was a beast today no doubt. He's a special talent 

Completely agree with this. The game is not too big for Harper. He is cool. I love Wiley's size too. Once he gets comfortable, he is going to be really good. He created a lot of his own points. Great win for our program at their place. I think we just need a little more killer instinct to end the games when we lead. 

16 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

You obviously don't understand the difference between playing well enough to deserve to win and gutting it out to find a way to win when you don't. Anyone that's played any kind of competitive sport knows what I mean. 

Sorry but lots of people who have played competitive sports can and do disagree with you. That "you don't understand" justification won't wash this site. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sorry but lots of people who have played competitive sports can and do disagree with you. That "you don't understand" justification won't wash this site. 

Lol.  Zero rebuttal other than attitude.  And obviously you somehow think my post was something negative I'm guessing. Proof positive you don't grasp the concept. 

Whelp, one guy said we'll go as Harper go. He'll be up and down as well as the team as we're a jump shooting team at the moment and we will gain experience and learn how to close as we go....

1 hour ago, Charhair said:

ive been on the Jared Harper fanbase since day one so it goes without saying that I loved his play tonight and this week. Very clutch, has come up with big defensive plays and late game baskets. 

Uconn is no Duke this year but they are still a solid team. And we yet again found a way to hold onto a win against a good team with a good coach. 

This week will look good on a tournament resume 

Psh. I've been a fan since 2003, or so my username says.

40 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Lol.  Zero rebuttal other than attitude.  And obviously you somehow think my post was something negative I'm guessing. Proof positive you don't grasp the concept. 

LOL...Actually I understand the concepts quite well but get tired of posters using the. " I have the experience" justification for their views as if they have some superior understanding.....which generally they don't.   JMO.

1 hour ago, FoundationEagle said:

You obviously don't understand the difference between playing well enough to deserve to win and gutting it out to find a way to win when you don't. Anyone that's played any kind of competitive sport knows what I mean. 

I did play competitively through HS. I have also used that phrase, probably as recently as the AU win over Jax State in OT. But I grew up a little and realized that NO ONE deserves to win. Wins are earned, regardless of whether you play your best or your worst. Sometimes you go out and compete and win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes you hit lots of shots and fall short, sometimes you shoot 30% and win. You make plays, and you miss plays. No one is out there just watching. Yeah, they make mistakes (freshmen and seniors), but none of them out there are undeserving of a win. Whether it's a buzzer beater vs a team they could throttle, or a perennial NCAA team. 

I never understood the phrase and I played competitively at a pretty high level for a while. Unless you deliberately were cheated by refs or something how do you not deserve to win?

49 minutes ago, AU64 said:

LOL...Actually I understand the concepts quite well but get tired of posters using the. " I have the experience" justification for their views as if they have some superior understanding.....which generally they don't.   JMO.

Or they could be offering a perspective that you haven't ever experienced and you might not have thought about....like a how a day for an athlete goes and their schedule. 

But how is having experience not a valid justification. My entire industry is built on that...

But in this case it doesn't really make sense to me

The team does continue to improve, however, Purifoy seems to take it upon himself to make the big shot (by doing so he appears selfish) and i agree with a previous post that said Dunans plays out of control. I hope the team continues to grow to the point they start playing more team ball (passing more, setting their teammates up for the open shot) and less individual ball. I like this team and the way the youth are really gutting it out and seemingly coming together. I am impressed with the spirit that the team plays with, just hope when conference play starts they are playing more as a team and less as individuals. I believe Pearl will get them all playing together and make winners out of this AU team.

3 hours ago, jared52 said:

Hogwash. AU deserved to win more than UCONN because they scored 3 more points. 

Agreed. We deserved this win. Granted, we let it get away in regulation with a mistake that cannot be blamed on freshmen or controlled substances. But that is the same guy who threw down a buzzer beater before putting on a personal highlight show vs. Oklahoma. So he deserves a gimme, even more so with the W.  

I love this win because 1) It was ugly and we had to manufacture points and figure out a away to win. 2) Did not involve rain from behind the arc which, we all know, comes and goes and cannot be counted on. 3) Harper manufactured points in the paint navigating through the trees at 5'10" all while getting stuffed several times.  4) Mustapha Heron is feeling good about his decision to come to Auburn 5) Purifoy's 15 rebounds and his only field goal was clutch. 6) This was not neutral ground, it was hostile ground, 7) but the refs were mostly nice to us. 8) No one thought we were getting out of CT with two Ws but it was on my list for Santa. 9) Austin Wiley, period. 10) Bruce Pearl has solidified the notion as fact that his coming to Auburn was a very good move for all of us.

Not a big BB fan, but this team is starting to make me believe that Auburn BB is something special indeed this season. A 20 win season is starting to come to fruition. Love to see this team in the 64 field this year and making some noise in the SEC and in the playoffs. Looks like coach Pearle is a super coach and will soon take this team to the next level.

1 hour ago, Timeslider 6 said:

The team does continue to improve, however, Purifoy seems to take it upon himself to make the big shot (by doing so he appears selfish) and i agree with a previous post that said Dunans plays out of control. I hope the team continues to grow to the point they start playing more team ball (passing more, setting their teammates up for the open shot) and less individual ball. I like this team and the way the youth are really gutting it out and seemingly coming together. I am impressed with the spirit that the team plays with, just hope when conference play starts they are playing more as a team and less as individuals. I believe Pearl will get them all playing together and make winners out of this AU team.

I completely disagree.  Purifoy is a scorer and a matchup nightmare for defenses.  Today he didn't have his best day shooting the ball but he did get 15 rebounds.  He also only took 10 shots, tied for 3rd most attempts today and he also played more minutes than anybody else today.  He's a scorer and you can't score if you don't shoot the ball.  Taking 10 shots is not at all being selfish.

Man this team should scare some people next season. Okeke will be a huge addition along with other signees. If we can get all these freshman to return for 1 more season a final 4 run is not out of reach. But I'm worried we lose 1 guy.

46 minutes ago, jamstanjr said:

Agreed. We deserved this win. Granted, we let it get away in regulation with a mistake that cannot be blamed on freshmen or controlled substances. But that is the same guy who threw down a buzzer beater before putting on a personal highlight show vs. Oklahoma. So he deserves a gimme, even more so with the W.  

I love this win because 1) It was ugly and we had to manufacture points and figure out a away to win. 2) Did not involve rain from behind the arc which, we all know, comes and goes and cannot be counted on. 3) Harper manufactured points in the paint navigating through the trees at 5'10" all while getting stuffed several times.  4) Mustapha Heron is feeling good about his decision to come to Auburn 5) Purifoy's 15 rebounds and his only field goal was clutch. 6) This was not neutral ground, it was hostile ground, 7) but the refs were mostly nice to us. 8) No one thought we were getting out of CT with two Ws but it was on my list for Santa. 9) Austin Wiley, period. 10) Bruce Pearl has solidified the notion as fact that his coming to Auburn was a very good move for all of us.

I like this win because it was a tough one. This young team has been traveling and playing for several days and they are exhausted. But they still were able to overcome and win against a big name in a tough environment. Dunans maybe wasn't his best today but give the kid a break. Their schedule has been grueling and he is mentally tired as well. I love how they found a way to make it happen instead of falling apart.

5 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

A basketball win over UCONN?? I'll take that everyday and twice on Sunday. Let's not be divas about this...AU just beat UConn in bball. I'm sure I've never typed that before. 

I wish I could like this 1000 times.  AU beating UCONN anywhere is a great day for AU. And doing it at their house is absolutely fantastic. 

I'm glad we're 10-2 but I'm not getting too excited. We still haven't beaten a really good team. Texas Tech is our best win record wise but I think Tech is inflated because of their soft non-conference. Once Tech gets into their Big XII schedule we'll see how good they really are. 

UConn is down. I saw a note on ESPN saying this is the first time since the 1971-72 season that UConn has 6 losses before the new year.  They've been down since they won the NC in 2013-14. I've never seen a program, at least in basketball, be on such a roller-coaster after winning a NC like UConn has. 

I hope we're not getting a little false confidence because we've gotten away with not finishing games and being sloppy while still managing to hang on and win. You can't keep doing that and expect to keep winning. We've gotten away with it because the teams we've played haven't been as good. Last year South Carolina went 24-8 and 11-7 in the SEC and didn't make the NCAA Tournament. The SEC is the weakest major conference in college basketball. We're going to have to win at least 10 SEC games in order to be on the bubble, imo. If we only go 9-9, that's not going to be good enough. 

We're a better team than we've been, there's no denying that. This is clearly the best team we've had under Bruce Pearl but the thing that's most frustrating to me are the fundamental breakdowns we continue to have and seem to have had the last 13 years. It's those fundamental breakdowns like foul the other team when you're ahead late in the game and just not playing smart basketball and taking countless bad shots that really gets under my skin. Those are the reasons why we haven't been to the NCAA tournament in almost 14 years. The biggest difference this year is that we've got more talent than we've had since Cliff Ellis was here. By having more talent and playing against teams that aren't as good, we've won games this year that in the past we would lost because of those mistakes.

We're 10-2 but have won 5 of our games this season by 4 points or less. We could very easily be 7-5 or 6-6 if we had lesser talent and were making the same mistakes we've made so far. The teams we've played haven't been able to capitalize off our mistakes. Oklahoma and UConn were awful shootings 3's. Had they been able to make a few more 3's, we would have likely lost those games. I'm glad we won those games but I'm being realistic and seeing we're still close to not being as good as our record shows.

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Get tired?  I included anyone that has ever played any competitive sport. That's probably 90 percent of the posters on here. Apparently not you. If that makes you feel like I think I'm superior to you, then sorry snowflake. I'm tired of people being whiny 2 year olds because someone said something that they can twist to find a way to be upset or offended by...even when there is no offensive remark made.  You're seriously bothered by something that you admit you understood to begin with?  Good grief that's hilarious. 

2 hours ago, WarTiger said:

I completely disagree.  Purifoy is a scorer and a matchup nightmare for defenses.  Today he didn't have his best day shooting the ball but he did get 15 rebounds.  He also only took 10 shots, tied for 3rd most attempts today and he also played more minutes than anybody else today.  He's a scorer and you can't score if you don't shoot the ball.  Taking 10 shots is not at all being selfish.

Agreed with this. I see where the other poster was coming from though. I believe it is because Danjel seems to force shots when not necessary and that can seem a little selfish. However, all players with good abilities and confidence do it so he is no different there. 

4 hours ago, jared52 said:

I did play competitively through HS. I have also used that phrase, probably as recently as the AU win over Jax State in OT. But I grew up a little and realized that NO ONE deserves to win. Wins are earned, regardless of whether you play your best or your worst. Sometimes you go out and compete and win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes you hit lots of shots and fall short, sometimes you shoot 30% and win. You make plays, and you miss plays. No one is out there just watching. Yeah, they make mistakes (freshmen and seniors), but none of them out there are undeserving of a win. Whether it's a buzzer beater vs a team they could throttle, or a perennial NCAA team. 

It's more a figure of speech to imply we didn't do things that going into the game we expected would need to be done to win the game, but we overcame it with grit and determination. If anything it's a compliment. I've never seen so many people bothered by a compliment. I'm guessing you completely ignored the entire rest of my comment and decided to take offense to one thing taken out of context?

2 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Man this team should scare some people next season. Okeke will be a huge addition along with other signees. If we can get all these freshman to return for 1 more season a final 4 run is not out of reach. But I'm worried we lose 1 guy.

Final four may be a stretch, but I agree not 100 percent out of the question.  We have a long way to go to be that good as that is on a whole different level. I agree we may lose 1, but if that's all we lose (plus seniors) and then swap them with the others coming in I think (1) it's an improvement and (2) we would then have 4 sophomores with a very solid years worth of experience. Take whatever we win this year and add 5-7 wins is quite likey iyam. 

19 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

It's more a figure of speech to imply we didn't do things that going into the game we expected would need to be done to win the game, but we overcame it with grit and determination. If anything it's a compliment. I've never seen so many people bothered by a compliment. I'm guessing you completely ignored the entire rest of my comment and decided to take offense to one thing taken out of context?

No, I did read your entire post, which actually served to prove how much AU "deserved" to win. They won in spite of only shooting 31%. They won with defense and determination. They won because UCONN missed shots too. Just because AU didn't hit 45% from the floor doesn't mean they didn't deserve to win. 

Archived