Coach's Corner: Auburn vs Oklahoma....

JMR

13 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

You just can't make up hypotheticals and say we score one more and they score one less. There is no guarantee on that. It could have been the exact same result also. Want to talk about "identities"? What about LSU's later in the year? Do we beat them in a later game in the year? I don't know but we did beat them when we played? The only game that injuries probably would have changed the outcome was GA. 

You are correct it is a hypothetical but it is based on having a healthy power Running Back who leads the SEC in rushing  and a healthy QB who was near the top of  the SEC in passer rating and pass completion percentage. That would have to make the offense better. The defense that you seem to think did not play that well against bama because of total yards stopped them over and over with any help from the offense  bama gets the ball fewer times and hence gets fewer yards and fewer chances to score. Pettyway is the type of RB who gets an extra yard or two after being hit on a consistent basis that changes the offense as we get a few more 1st downs. As for beating LSU later in the year I don't know they improved as the year went on as did we until the injuries. It would have been a war.  Everybody agrees that without injuries we beat Ga. even in my hypothetical I didn't say we would beat bama but that it would have been closer and we would have had a chance.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

I agree with most of the commentaries i've seen, the key to beating OU will be limiting their big play opportunities. I believe our offense will be fine and the defense will play well, limiting their long completions and their runs more than 15 yards will be what slows them down enough for us to control the clock and the ball.