Rhett as possible UConn HC candidate

aubiefifty

saturdaydownsouth.com

Bruce Feldman: Auburn OC could be UConn candidate

UConn gave the coaching carousel some life with its recent decision to fire Bob Diaco.

While one Fox Sports analyst opined that the Huskies have to at least give Les Miles a call, most lists have UConn, an AAC team, looking at Power 5 assistants with offensive backgrounds. In that case, Bruce Feldman speculates that athletic director David Benedict may look at an assistant he knows well from his time at Auburn: Rhett Lashlee.

Benedict was named UConn’s athletic director after serving as the Auburn athletic department’s chief operating officer for two years. Lashlee has been on Gus Malzahn’s staff since 2013, so Benedict was not part of his hiring process, but is certainly familiar with the up-and-coming assistant from his two years on the Plains.

Lashlee got a resume boost this season when Malzahn handed over play-calling duties midway through the season. In 2016, the Tigers ranked No. 37 in total offense and No. 47 in scoring offense, the results of an excellent ground game (No. 6 in rushing offense) but poor passing game (No. 112). Lashlee, 33, first got into college coaching in 2006 as a graduate assistant at his alma mater Arkansas. He has coached offense and quarterbacks at Samford (2011), Arkansas State (2012) and Auburn (2013-present).

For now, Lashlee’s main concern will be next week’s Sugar Bowl game. Auburn takes on Oklahoma Jan. 2 at 7:30 p.m. CT on ESPN.

This button delivers the best SEC football stories to you on Facebook

Would be professional suicide for any southern coach, with no ties to the north east, take the UConn job. That job is hard enough if you have north east connections. David is a Jay clone so anything is possible. 

And lol at the Les Miles needs a call. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Would be professional suicide for any southern coach, with no ties to the north east, take the UConn job. That job is hard enough if you have north east connections. David is a Jay clone so anything is possible. 

Good insight, thank you WDEWDE

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I can hear it now... This number we have for Les Miles must not be a good number. The phone rings and rings but we never get an answer.

7 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I wouldn't blame them for calling Les.  He is a big name coach and although it has been a long time, he's coached/recruited outside the SEC.

Now I would question if Les took the job.

RL did a very good job this year and continues to do a very good job on the recruiting trail. I wish him nothing but the best in whatever the future holds for him and his young FAMILY...

20 minutes ago, WarDlowe said:

After this announcement I really don't expect Rhett to go anywhere.    

Not sure about that but I can't recall ever seeing this for a coach who was fired from his last job and has 8 losing seasons as a HC....wow.....UConn setting their sights pretty low....JMO

As for CRL...going to UConn would have been a bad move....kinda like going to Iowa State or something. 

21 hours ago, ACT1ger said:

I wouldn't blame them for calling Les.  He is a big name coach and although it has been a long time, he's coached/recruited outside the SEC.

Now I would question if Les took the job.

Les will not take that job in that he will lose a lot of  money with his buyout total with LSU. His coaching days are over. I think that Rhett could make the job successful if given enough time like 5 + years without pulling the trigger on him. So much for that. If it is broken, bring back the coach who broke it!

16 hours ago, au_bsci_04 said:

As a Uconn fan, I can say that NO ONE is excited to hear Edsall's name being mentioned.

Like the car, he should be placed go the way of the dodo.

22 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

IMO It's Not a good fit but I can imagine a few here would not only pack for Rhett but even drive the Uhaul straight to Connecticut...

???

Archived