Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WDE_OxPx_2010

Auburn MBB: Weekly Update

15 posts in this topic

I went looking for this, thought I'd put it in one place. I'll update it weekly if anyone is interested. Maybe premature, but I'd like to keep up with where we are now that league play has started.

Feb 8th: 16-9 (5-7)

SEC: 9th SEC

AP: NR AP

Coaches: NR Coaches

RPI: 67 RPI

Edited by WDE_OxPx_2010
Updated
7 people like this

I recommend using the Warren Nolan RPI live link for RPI. It uses the same exact formula the NCAA committee uses in their selection process and updates within 30 minutes of a game ending. ESPN's RPI does not use the NCAA selection committee formula. We are 52 in actual RPI right now per NCAA.com and that's where Warren Nolan has us as well. NCAA.com usually updates RPI weekly.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I recommend using the Warren Nolan RPI live link for RPI. It uses the same exact formula the NCAA committee uses in their selection process and updates within 30 minutes of a game ending. ESPN's RPI does not use the NCAA selection committee formula. We are 52 in actual RPI right now per NCAA.com and that's where Warren Nolan has us as well. NCAA.com usually updates RPI weekly.

Updated, much appreciated

1 person likes this

Right now, the Warren Nolan RPI link projects us at finishing 21-10 overall (11-7 SEC) with an overall RPI of 86. I'm not positive on what RPI would have to be to cement a tournament bid, but a 21 win season with 11 SEC wins seems like it means we would be dancing. We'd certainly like RPI to be higher than that, but with an SEC tournament win or two to lock up a 22 or 23 win season in the SEC, I'd say we'd be in fairly comfortably.

5 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Right now, the Warren Nolan RPI link projects us at finishing 21-10 overall (11-7 SEC) with an overall RPI of 86. I'm not positive on what RPI would have to be to cement a tournament bid, but a 21 win season with 11 SEC wins seems like it means we would be dancing. We'd certainly like RPI to be higher than that, but with an SEC tournament win or two to lock up a 22 or 23 win season in the SEC, I'd say we'd be in fairly comfortably.

Just depends on who we win and loss to. The SEC is 5th in Conference RPI so 11-7 without upsetting TCU on the road may not be enough. There were 3 SEC teams at 11-7 last year but only 1 made the NCAA tourney, Vandy. If we get to 12-6 and get an SEC tourney win we should be in IMO. Either way we should be in the NIT at bare minimum and that's still a good step in the right direction given the past 13 years.

Edited by ellitor
1 person likes this

Okay, the RPI has us finishing 11-7 in the SEC, but did they have us 10-2 in the preseason?  Probably not.  So my hope is that we are better than 11-7 in conference play and it begins Thursday night by beating the dawgs!

1 minute ago, GBAU83 said:

Okay, the RPI has us finishing 11-7 in the SEC, but did they have us 10-2 in the preseason?  Probably not.  So my hope is that we are better than 11-7 in conference play and it begins Thursday night by beating the dawgs!

FWIW I have us starting 9-2 in conference play but finishing 11-7. Those back 7 games are tough.

The SEC seems to be getting better coaches and better players every year but it has yet to translate into a better reputation and better OOC records. You guys think it is a matter of time before those OOC wins start coming or is there something else missing? At least for once AU is doing our part to help out the SEC perception. 

39 minutes ago, gravejd said:

The SEC seems to be getting better coaches and better players every year but it has yet to translate into a better reputation and better OOC records. You guys think it is a matter of time before those OOC wins start coming or is there something else missing? At least for once AU is doing our part to help out the SEC perception. 

Matter of time.

14 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Last year the three SEC teams that had the 11-7 records had RPI's of 71, 73, and 95. Vandy made it due to their non-conference SOS being 32, while SC's and LSU's were 200+. Florida had a decent resume at 21-15 with an RPI of 45, but were 9-9 in the league and lost 4 of their last 5. Last year the SEC finished 6th in conference RPI and would have had 4 bids if not for terribly weak non-conference schedules. Hopefully we get more bids this year. 

I think we need 21+ wiins, 11+ SEC wins, and an RPI in the 50's. The RPI include factors we can't control, and will undoubtedly provide plenty of cause for discussion. We need BC to win some games and get out of the 200s, and other opponents to play well in their conferences. The addition of Wiley at the break makes us a different team than the one that got blown out by Purdue and lost to BC, that will help us if we are in the bubble discussion. 

I also think CBP's personality and charisma will throw us into the tournament if we are even with other bubble teams.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Last year the three SEC teams that had the 11-7 records had RPI's of 71, 73, and 95. Vandy made it due to their non-conference SOS being 32, while SC's and LSU's were 200+. Florida had a decent resume at 21-15 with an RPI of 45, but were 9-9 in the league and lost 4 of their last 5. Last year the SEC finished 6th in conference RPI and would have had 4 bids if not for terribly weak non-conference schedules. Hopefully we get more bids this year. 

I think we need 21+ wiins, 11+ SEC wins, and an RPI in the 50's. The RPI include factors we can't control, and will undoubtedly provide plenty of cause for discussion. We need BC to win some games and get out of the 200s, and other opponents to play well in their conferences. The addition of Wiley at the break makes us a different team than the one that got blown out by Purdue and lost to BC, that will help us if we are in the bubble discussion. 

Heck. We would have beat BC if Dunans was not sick and missed the game.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0