Birmingham Bowl Controversy

tigerbrotha12

Okay, I may not know the ruling because it may be different in overtime, but hear me out:

on the final play of the Birmingham bowl, South Car was down by 7 in OT. They had 4th and 6. Jake Bentley dropped back and was about to be sacked but as he was being taken down, he purposefully fumbles the ball to keep the play alive. A South Florida defender spotted the ball, and picked it up, but did not fall down. Instead, he began to run with it. The game is over at this point if he gets down, so he really should've just fallen on it. He has it for a about a half second, when a South Carolina defender (who actually made a heady play but is not rewarded for it) stripped the ball from him, and South Carolina fell on it.

The announcers did not mention one word about the fumble, and the refs did not even acknowledge it either. Am I missing something here? The South Florida defender picks it up, begins to run with it and has possession, but fumbles, and that fumble is recovered by s car. The way my football knowledge sees it, that should be first down gamecocks, no? 

14 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Okay, I may not know the ruling because it may be different in overtime, but hear me out:

on the final play of the Birmingham bowl, South Car was down by 7 in OT. They had 4th and 6. Jake Bentley dropped back and was about to be sacked but as he was being taken down, he purposefully fumbles the ball to keep the play alive. A South Florida defender spotted the ball, and picked it up, but did not fall down. Instead, he began to run with it. The game is over at this point if he gets down, so he really should've just fallen on it. He has it for a about a half second, when a South Carolina defender (who actually made a heady play but is not rewarded for it) stripped the ball from him, and South Carolina fell on it.

The announcers did not mention one word about the fumble, and the refs did not even acknowledge it either. Am I missing something here? The South Florida defender picks it up, begins to run with it and has possession, but fumbles, and that fumble is recovered by s car. The way my football knowledge sees it, that should be first down gamecocks, no? 

maybe but I think everyone was eager to get out of Birmingham before it got dark. ...did not want to prolong the game.....:dunno:

33 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

In regulation you are correct.  In overtime, once the defense secures possession, the possession for the offense is over even if they recover a fumble.  Here's the rule reference

Possession series: Each team retains the ball during a possession series
until it scores or fails to make a first down. The ball remains alive after
a change of team possession until it is declared dead. However, Team A
may not have a first down if it regains possession after a change of team
possession
(A.R. 3-1-3-I-IX).

On 12/29/2016 at 5:25 PM, WarTiger said:

In regulation you are correct.  In overtime, once the defense secures possession, the possession for the offense is over even if they recover a fumble.  Here's the rule reference

Possession series: Each team retains the ball during a possession series
until it scores or fails to make a first down. The ball remains alive after
a change of team possession until it is declared dead. However, Team A
may not have a first down if it regains possession after a change of team
possession
(A.R. 3-1-3-I-IX).

I thought of this possibly being the case today in that when the USF defender recovers it, whether the ball is dead or alive, the game is effectively over.

Archived