UGA Post Game

jared52

What a sickening loss.

Came out on fire, then let it slip away.  It appeared to me that the second unit lead by our transfer senior PG became somewhat careless with the ball, even in the first half.

Then when UGA made a run the carelessness and poor shot selection became rampant. 

Our young 'uns gonna half to grow up pretty quick.  Dunans appears to show some leadership on the floor, but there does not appear to be a consistent go to guy to put the team on his back to pull the rest along.

Man, it just sucks. We had a great turnout and caught early momentum, but it just seemed like youth let this game get away. Each time we threatened to go up by a good margin, we would give up an and one. We let a 10 point lead get away via FT's. For me, it was a frustrating game to see us let it get away. 

2 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Better team won. AU knocked down a couple of pegs. Played good, had to be great. 

Slight modification   Played good for half a game.....

The lack of poise the last 6 or 8 minutes was discouraging because we had some relatively experienced players on the floor when the collapse started. 

What a sickening loss.

Came out on fire, then let it slip away.  It appeared to me that the second unit lead by our transfer senior PG became somewhat careless with the ball, even in the first half.

Then when UGA made a run the carelessness and poor shot selection became rampant. 

Our young 'uns gonna have to grow up pretty quick.  Dunans appears to show some leadership on the floor, but there does not appear to be a consistent go to guy to put the team on his back to pull the rest along.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Slight modification   Played good for half a game.....

The lack of poise the last 6 or 8 minutes was discouraging because we had some relatively experienced players on the floor when the collapse started. 

If they play the second half like the first, it would have been great. It was good because they lead for most of the game. UGA figure out how to stop them and start scoring and AU had  no answer. Frazier and the big guy for UGA took over as good players do. None of AU's players were able to do the same. 

It was disappointing from several players, but for me, Spencer was a waste. He's been really bad since his suspension. I'm wondering if Wiley's arrival has caused him to get offended at his playing time even though it coincided with his suspension. He needs to learn his place and quit staring down the bench of the opponent every time he blocks a shot. 

I saw a bunch of revved up youngsters get schooled by a few seasoned veterans once things got down to the nitty gritty. AU seemed to play better in the first half when they were pushing the pace;; in the second half we seemed to get into a more of a half court game, which slowed down our scoring and also seemed to slow down our aggressiveness also.

We have a lot of raw talented players who just haven't learned how to win, but the good news is they have plenty of time to grow into talented players who know how to win. Those horrible calls against us by the officials opened up the floodgates for our youngsters; they were already leaking oil, but the timing of those bad calls could not have been worse, and we just never recovered from them. I hope we don't get that crew in another game this year. They sucked big time! Our guys have got to have short memories and move on to the next game. War Eagle guys!

2 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Grow up game to let them know they not world beaters. Better it happen now than late in the year when we need some wins. Let's go get vandy. 

Yes. This won't  keep them out of the NIT at all. And that's the only realistic goal this team has. The bubble talk around here has been amusing but not really attainable. This is a young team still giving out how to play as a team. They didn't do so this game and it finally caught up to them. UGA is a good team. AU is still a group of players. 

4 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Yes. This won't  keep them out of the NIT at all. And that's the only realistic goal this team has. The bubble talk around here has been amusing but not really attainable. This is a young team still giving out how to play as a team. They didn't do so this game and it finally caught up to them. UGA is a good team. AU is still a group of players. 

Very well said

8 minutes ago, jared52 said:

I agree with what you said here. I also believe it would be to our advantage for BP to cut his rotation down to 8-9 players. I know from experience that it is hard to get in and stay in rhythm when there is a lot of subbing  going on. When 5 players are on fire and lighting it up on  both ends of the floor, you need to leave them out there until they are not on fire any more. I know we are deep and talented, but I have very rarely seen subbing 5 in and 5 out work.

I haven't seen the stats but have a feeling the RBs will really be one-sided.....we were one-and-done for a good part of the second half 

DP has got to get better defensively.  Liability at this point but is a tremendous scorer.  Maybe we should just go FAB 5 for starters.  Move heron to the 2 and Danjel to 3 the put mclemore at 4 Harper at the 1 and Wiley at the 5.  Next 5 would be 1-Johnson 2 - brown/TD 3 - TD/TJ 4 - spencer 5 - smith.  

Still overall need better defense however we are going to give up points because of the pace of play.  

Brown and Spencer definitely through the rotation out of whack it seemed.

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

DP has got to get better defensively.  Liability at this point but is a tremendous scorer.  Maybe we should just go FAB 5 for starters.  Move heron to the 2 and Danjel to 3 the put mclemore at 4 Harper at the 1 and Wiley at the 5.  Next 5 would be 1-Johnson 2 - brown/TD 3 - TD/TJ 4 - spencer 5 - smith.  

Still overall need better defense however we are going to give up points because of the pace of play.  

Brown and Spencer definitely through the rotation out of whack it seemed.

A number of very good teams rely on a 7 or 8 man rotation for their primary minutes....agree that trying to play so many guys results in lack of unity...JMO but Spencer and Brown do not seem to fit right now except perhaps for short rest periods.   Some of the "fives" we had on the floor in the second half looked like a bunch of individuals rather than a team. 

I tell you what, you breakdown and go crazy guys after every loss is going to have alot of work this season....the leaders on this team are one and two year players......

Tell you what reasonable expectations are, then you argue it, then go crazy when unreal expectations aren't achieved. It's a young team. Plain and simple. Ups and downs. Nothing is pathetic about the team. 

Btw you saw when we built the lead up Spencer was a vital reason for that. You also saw what type of team we are without him. 

We're a jump shooting team. It's going to be up the down period

Also this is exactly what I was talking about when I brought up my worries of DP playing the 4 with a skilled big man. 

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I tell you what, you breakdown and go crazy guys after every loss is going to have alot of work this season....the leaders on this team are one and two year players......

Tell you what reasonable expectations are, then you argue it, then go crazy when unreal expectations aren't achieved. It's a young team. Plain and simple. Ups and downs. Nothing is pathetic about the team. 

Btw you saw when we built the lead up Spencer was a vital reason for that. You also saw what type of team we are without him. 

We're a jump shooting team. It's going to be up the down period

Who's going crazy?  Think most are well aware of the youth movement.  We watch the game and come here to discuss our thoughts and opinions.  

My biggest complaint is we need a defensive stopper.  Not sure who that is or who can be developed.  

Was also a little concerned with what Bruce said after the game that we needed to go to zone but he hasn't coached the team on zone defense yet.  We aren't that young.  

Just now, corchjay said:

Who's going crazy?  Think most are well aware of the youth movement.  We watch the game and come here to discuss our thoughts and opinions.  

My biggest complaint is we need a defensive stopper.  Not sure who that is or who can be developed.  

Was also a little concerned with what Bruce said after the game that we needed to go to zone but he hasn't coached the team on zone defense yet.  We aren't that young.  

Look at every post game thread and you can then see who goes crazy. You say you think most are aware but if you read this forum you would actually see most think we are much better than what we are. You can't speak for everybody, I'm going off of what is posted on the forum everyday. 

Defensive stopper, that depends if you're talking perimeter or post. 

I actually think you need one of each.  Inside and outside stopper.  2 defensive minded players and 3 offensive on each 5 man rotation.  Why I think DP and Heron need to move to the 2-3 both are undersized at the 3-4.  I think at the 3 DP has the length to be a really good defensive player but you gotta have the want to as well.

I agree with that but when he's playing out of position the way he is he can't be faulted really. He's never played this position in his life. He's never played post defense ever. 

Got some growing up to do. Hopefully they learn from these games. Very good talent, but inexperienced. Need to play better D and stay cool when things go wrong. Wiley is a 17 year old high schooler who has barely practiced with the team. Should see them gel around his play pretty quickly. Some of these guys may need to stay longer than their dreams of the NBA may suggest. DP is doing a bit better with rebounds, most of them need to do better on D.

Archived