UGA Post Game

jared52

I'll say this: UGA played a heck of a second half. They were poised, shot the ball well, played sound defense, and you could tell they had been in that situation before. I'm continuing to say this throughout the season, but just watch the team grow. We going lose some we should have won but I guarantee you we will win some games that we would've thought we would lose. (Never in a million years did I think we would beat both Oklahoma and UCONN). I still think we could mold into a bubble team by the end of the year. We will have to play better than we did on defense tonight, but the more we play with wiley and the freshmen, the better and more experienced we get. Last ten games will tell the real story, and I'm expecting us to grow up a lot. 

31 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'll say this: UGA played a heck of a second half. They were poised, shot the ball well, played sound defense, and you could tell they had been in that situation before. I'm continuing to say this throughout the season, but just watch the team grow. We going lose some we should have won but I guarantee you we will win some games that we would've thought we would lose. (Never in a million years did I think we would beat both Oklahoma and UCONN). I still think we could mold into a bubble team by the end of the year. We will have to play better than we did on defense tonight, but the more we play with wiley and the freshmen, the better and more experienced we get. Last ten games will tell the real story, and I'm expecting us to grow up a lot. 

I agree with this. We outplayed UGA for 25-30 minutes. When things started to turn, our inexperienced team became 5 one man offenses and 5 one man defenses. Every player thought they had to do it all like this was a HS game. What's odd about this game is that Bruce all year has hardly ever called a timeout, even on 15-0 runs for the opponent...yet somehow tonight when we needed one the worst, we were already down to just 1. I'm not doubting Bruce, but he may need to read a book on timeout use or something. His TO usage reminds me of Les Miles. Other than that, he has this team playing well until they stop playing what they are supposed to. That will come with time. These players haven't faced enough adversity to know to trust the scheme and let the game come to them. By the end of the year, they will be a lot better. May not be dancing, but looking like a dancer next year IMO. 

I want to see us improve defensively. The offense will be there all year. Even on nights we struggle shooting we're scoring close to or more than 70. But we have to find a way to make things more difficult on opposing offenses. We need more energy and better communication. We need better help and awareness. And we need someone to step up and take on a role as a lockdown defender on the perimeter and in the post and have that be their contribution to this team. This team has all the pieces to be pretty good, but it's going to take some guys changing how they approach their individual games to roles that fit with what the team needs. 

My thoughts.  I saw a team get out coached.  When we built the lead GA was in man to man and we hit some three's.  They went to match up zone and challenged the outside.   Auburn played man all night which was a mistake.    Left the number scorer open way too much.   And the Frazier kid schooled our team all night long.   So far my take of coaching staff is great recruiters but lacking in defensive teaching  and set offensive plays.   

41 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I want to see us improve defensively. The offense will be there all year. Even on nights we struggle shooting we're scoring close to or more than 70. But we have to find a way to make things more difficult on opposing offenses. We need more energy and better communication. We need better help and awareness. And we need someone to step up and take on a role as a lockdown defender on the perimeter and in the post and have that be their contribution to this team. This team has all the pieces to be pretty good, but it's going to take some guys changing how they approach their individual games to roles that fit with what the team needs. 

Coach Person is the primary defensive coach, and IMO, he needs to step his game up because it's been rather inconsistent. Yesterday, the baskets inside and the fouls were frustrating in the 2nd half, but even in the first half, we let them get some wide-open 3 pointers and some breakdown in assignments. 

1 minute ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Let's not panic. We can still put ourselves in excellent position to be a bubble team.

That's true but so far we still look pretty much like the same team that lost to BC and barely beat a couple cupcakes.   Only improvement IMO has been the addition of Wiley who has great potential....but otherwise, not much.   It is puzzling to see AU playing well and then go into a shooting slump or commits some foolish turnovers ....and the coaches just mostly watch the decay....and seem to miss some teaching moments.    

12 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Coach Person is the primary defensive coach, and IMO, he needs to step his game up because it's been rather inconsistent. Yesterday, the baskets inside and the fouls were frustrating in the 2nd half, but even in the first half, we let them get some wide-open 3 pointers and some breakdown in assignments. 

Yeah, I see your point. I don't know that it's on the coaches though. These guys just seem to lose focus on defense, especially when we aren't scoring. It seems the players don't communicate well at times, and it causes confusion on switches and screens and problems in transition.  

I would just like to see Auburn put together complete games this season in league play.  Unfortunately the last several years, the team has imploded in the second half numerous times.  It might be a depth issue, youth issue, or whatever the issue, hopefully Pearl will get the team on track to playing a full 40 mins.

I didn't get to watch the second half but it seems like we made some "rookie mistakes". 

With the amount of youth we are playing, we were destined to either get really lucky a bunch or drop a couple of should have could have games as losses. 

We should be able to hope that we hit the other end of the spectrum too and a couple of these freshmen can surprise a team with a crazy 25-30 point outing or two and get us a couple of unexpected wins.

im sure this loss hurt our team a lot in terms of moral. Coming off of an amazing 4 game winning streak in front of a sold out crowd against an SEC rival with one of the most hyped up auburn teams of recent. As long as they learn from this game and keeping improving, this loss shouldn't hurt us too much. It seems better than BC anyway

On 12/30/2016 at 1:31 PM, AU64 said:

That's true but so far we still look pretty much like the same team that lost to BC and barely beat a couple cupcakes.   Only improvement IMO has been the addition of Wiley who has great potential....but otherwise, not much.   It is puzzling to see AU playing well and then go into a shooting slump or commits some foolish turnovers ....and the coaches just mostly watch the decay....and seem to miss some teaching moments.    

I'm traveling and and got to see parts of the game, but team chemistry is and has been an issue. It's been discussed at length that you can't just plug a guy in and move others around without taking a step back. This loss hurts but doesn't kill any goals (yet). We can't keep losing home games. We have a chance to make up for this one on the road vs Vandy and get back on track. 

This is one is in the defensive end. We scored enough to win, we allowed Georgia to grossly out perform their averages. Defense has to get better, the good news is it can. 

Not time to panic, but have to learn. So far this season the team has respond well to losing, time to answer the bell. 

Ware Eagle. 

We basically play man to man defense. We play with energy at times and make things happen but we have lapses where we don't switch well and don't communicate well and the other team gets open 3's or easy baskets. All teams go through this but better teams will switch up and use various zones periodically to keep other team off balance.  We need to add zone to our defensive repertoire.

On 12/30/2016 at 0:31 PM, AU64 said:

It's a team made up of one and two year players with an undersized pg straight out of high school. Turnovers shouldn't be puzzling at all. They should be expected. 

We played with essentially four guards and the big man not a post threat, a jump shooting team getting into shooting slumps shouldn't be expected. 

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's a team made up of one and two year players with an undersized pg straight out of high school. Turnovers shouldn't be puzzling at all. They should be expected. 

We played with essentially four guards and the big man not a post threat, a jump shooting team getting into shooting slumps shouldn't be expected. 

I realize that jump shooting teams live by the sword and die by the sword.....but with what appears to be so many good shooters, its painful when everyone goes cold at the same time. ,...and defense....ugh ....as you have reminded us so many times.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I realize that jump shooting teams live by the sword and die by the sword.....but with what appears to be so many good shooters, its painful when everyone goes cold at the same time. ,...and defense....ugh ....as you have reminded us so many times.

Well it's like I've told the board, we don't have guys that can create separation and good shots for themselves and our pg is a true freshman. Most other teams can just simply set a screen, or run a pick and roll to create mismatches us.....not so much.  

Cole and a few others even when they might disagree on whether a player should play the 3 or the stretch 4 have been basically right about this team. This is a young talented team that is going to have some ups and downs. While the players are talented they still have some holes in their over all game be it rebounding, post defense or on the floor defense, the ability to create their own shot, the ability to setup another player.

Team defense and offense will improve as they play together improvement on individual weaknesses will be on the individual player with the coaches guidance.  Look at some other teams. I am not putting us in same class as these teams.  Kentucky young team great talent lost to Louisville also young team with great size and a few older players teamwork beat them, Louisville plays Virginia good talent great mixture of older players and talent teamwork prevails and Virginia wins.

My point  and the point Cole and others have made is talent only won't win all the time even when it is elite talent like Kentucky. While Auburn has talent we are not elite talent across theboard like Kentucky for us to get to next level we have to keep some talent from year to year until we are like a team like Virginia.

Archived