2017 3* Dual QB Malik Willis Commits to AU!!! 12/30/16

TexasTiger

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

More arguing...Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Maybe you should block me on here too if you think what I'm doing is arguing or if you think I'm here just to argue.

Edited by aujeff11
  • Like 1

Kid is a winner which is a great quality for the QB position. And for the hater no one is expecting him to come in and start today. He looks good, fluid and athletic. I like his film too...it's HS, so it will not look like college but he appears to have the tools to be a power 5 QB..

I hope this kid is awesome and eventually starts at AU. With that being said, there is something to be said at having kids that can be good backups with the potential to develop into a starter. He sounds like he has a ceiling, even if he is close to the floor at the moment. If he is a solid backup his entire career the scholarship will be well worth it. Glad to have him, and hope he is a great AU quarterback. War Eagle!

seems to be a good kid that is willing to do what he has to get on the field and win games. I would like to see what all of the rating services are listing him. coming onboard in January will give him a good head start. Who knows, he might turn into a super QB. I do like his upside a great deal.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

If you look around the number of busts of top 10HS QBs is greater than those who lived up to the hype. 

This cannot be proven for one, and is totally subjective, second. Who sets the hype? The fans.. Was the hype deserved or reasonable? Should we be hoping that Gatewood will be the next Cam Newton, and does it really make him a bust if he is not?

If one doesn't live up to the hype, there could be many reasons for it other than the recruiting rankings being inaccurate. Look at Brandon Harris for LSU. He was a high four star I believe and he would've played like it in a different offense. Or Kyle Allen formerly of Texas A&M. He might've done better in less toxic situations. Recruiting Rankings cannot predict or account for the following: Grades, Attitude problems,Injuries, Players's drive, Mental issues, Growth Spurts, Slow learners,Etc. No crap there are going to be busts, and anomalies.

Recruiting rankings isn't throwing things at a wall and seeing which one sticks though. It can provide an area target, if you will, but not a point target. Camps and highlight films can be the invisible hand that sorts through the players talents and gauges their potential but it's not money in the bank. There is a reason why teams that recruit well win games. Bama, tOSU, and Clemson obvious recruits well and they are doing well as a team. Washington doesn't recruit as well and they won't enjoy the same consistency as the above.

To your point, there are many, many, many more unheralded two to three star QBs that didn't go on to become Lamar Jackson's or Baker Mayfield's of the college football world too. And the recruiting rankings are never questioned then. 

17 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

This cannot be proven for one, and is totally subjective, second. Who sets the hype? The fans.. Was the hype deserved or reasonable? Should we be hoping that Gatewood will be the next Cam Newton, and does it really make him a bust if he is not?

If one doesn't live up to the hype, there could be many reasons for it other than the recruiting rankings being inaccurate. Look at Brandon Harris for LSU. He was a high four star I believe and he would've played like it in a different offense. Or Kyle Allen formerly of Texas A&M. He might've done better in less toxic situations. Recruiting Rankings cannot predict or account for the following: Grades, Attitude problems,Injuries, Players's drive, Mental issues, Growth Spurts, Slow learners,Etc. No crap there are going to be busts, and anomalies.

Recruiting rankings isn't throwing things at a wall and seeing which one sticks though. It can provide an area target, if you will, but not a point target. Camps and highlight films can be the invisible hand that sorts through the players talents and gauges their potential but it's not money in the bank. There is a reason why teams that recruit well win games. Bama, tOSU, and Clemson obvious recruits well and they are doing well as a team. Washington doesn't recruit as well and they won't enjoy the same consistency as the above.

To your point, there are many, many, many more unheralded two to three star QBs that didn't go on to become Lamar Jackson's or Baker Mayfield's of the college football world too. And the recruiting rankings are never questioned then. 

I totally disagree on the Washington comment. They recruit really well, they get top notch recruits out of the Pac 12. They don't get the respect as the SEC. They don't have the same base but their competition is Oregon, Boise state, USC. They'll Recruit even better now that they are back and competing for championships. They have great talent on their current team, offense and defense. They've had top notch recruits on past teams with Sark as well.

Edited by Randman5000

4 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I totally disagree on the Washington comment. They recruit really well, they get top notch recruits out of the Pac 12. They don't get the respect as the SEC. They don't have the same base but their competition is Oregon, Boise state, USC. They'll Recruit even better now that they are back and competing for championships. They have great talent on their current team as well. They've had top notch recruits on past teams with Sark as well.

My only comment was they don't recruit as well as the bammers or tOSU?  

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

My only comment was they don't recruit as well as the bammers or tOSU?  

Fair enough. I think it was the consistency comment. I've grown soft,  err...hard living in the Pacific northwest.

2 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Fair enough. I think it was the consistency comment. I've grown soft,  err...hard living in the Pacific northwest.

Peterson will not be as consistent as Bammer or tOSU while in the PAC 12. He recruits smart and focuses on the intangibles like I discussed above, however he will not always have the most talented team and that will cause losses to the UCLA's and USC's of the PAC 12 sometimes. 

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Peterson will not be as consistent as Bammer or tOSU while in the PAC 12. He recruits smart and focuses on the intangibles like I discussed above, however he will not always have the most talented team and that will cause losses to the UCLA's and USC's of the PAC 12 sometimes. 

Yeah I disagree. But that's like ... your opinion man. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Yeah I disagree. But that's like ... your opinion man. 

Do you have facts that will disagree with me? Can you show me the on the field consistency with tOSU or Bammer? 

Can't complain about us missing the Likes of LJ, then be disturbed when we go out and recruit a true DT-QB. The bottom line is there are very few highly rated DT-QB out of high school.  You cannot get them all. I am glad that Gus is realizing he wants a DT-QB and now out there recruiting them. It is his job now to make sure they are up to par to standards.

Edit: Just to add to this, I am pretty sure we went after Kellen Mond, Tate Martell and Lowell Narcisse. We did not get them. We did get Jarrett Stidham. Now we need to build depth with a QB that fits what we want to do at AU. Poor Gus. He can just never win.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 6

I love LJ. However based on his highlights, you can't sit here and tell me he looks like the next big thing at QB. He has a nice little spiral, but he floats the ball quite a bit and doesn't have nearly as much zip on the ball as some of his counterparts. Point being, if you are going to go this route, you have to be able to take the risks. People need not forget, many of the schools recruiting LJ was recruiting him as an athlete. Lousiville took a chance on him as a QB. I am excited for Malik and AU.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Can't complain about us missing the Likes of LJ, then be disturbed when we go out and recruit a true DT-QB. The bottom line is there are very few highly rated DT-QB out of high school.  You cannot get them all. I am glad that Gus is realizing he wants a DT-QB and now out there recruiting them. It is his job now to make sure they are up to par to standards.

Edit: Just to add to this, I am pretty sure we went after Kellen Mond, Tate Martell and Lowell Narcisse. We did not get them. We did get Jarrett Stidham. Now we need to build depth with a QB that fits what we want to do at AU. Poor Gus. He can just never win.

Being a Dual Threat QB means having the requisite skills capable of being a vertical threat and a threat on the ground on any given play. LJ had both during his recruitment. Malik, I'm not so sure about it. Probably no.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Being a Dual Threat QB means having the requisite skills capable of being a vertical threat and a threat on the ground on any given play. LJ had both during his recruitment. Malik, I'm not so sure about it. Probably no.

He's got plenty of time to either develop it or develop as a WR or DB.

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

This is where you and I disagree, my friend. I think he does have those capabilities. Again, I don't think anyone is expecting this kid to come in and be the AU savior. However, if you want to find the next NM, LJ, etc. You have to take these risks. Not saying this kid is identical to these two. At the end of the day, if he doesn't pan out at QB, you can always move him to a different position. I am just glad Gus has come to the realization that he wants a DT-QB, Therefore he needs to recruit them. Allow this kid to RS and work on his skill set, adding needed depth. Who knows what he may become? We still have JS, SW and WB. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Do you have facts that will disagree with me? Can you show me the on the field consistency with tOSU or Bammer? 

No..no facts. I just disagree with said statement that Washington will not be the loser compared with USC and UCLA in recruiting or in games. They are trending upwards out here. 

• Like 2

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/463861/5721ae650dcb0d12f83d2fa7

Baker Mayfield SR year HS...

Serious Zip on some of those passes but doesn't go through progression well and off balance alot with footwork. But he showed some talent as does Willis. 

Edited by ScottsboroAuburnFan

6 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

No..no facts. I just disagree with said statement that Washington will not be the loser compared with USC and UCLA in recruiting or in games. They are trending upwards out here. 

Well Washington has never been accustomed to beating USC in recruiting and has a series record against USC. Your disagreement doesn't change those facts at all. 

7 hours ago, DAG said:

You have to take these risks.

Guess it doesn't strike anybody as odd that literally nobody else in nation wanted to take this risk. Just like nobody really wanted JF3 or Tray to play QB for them.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Guess it doesn't strike anybody as odd that literally nobody else in nation wanted to take this risk. Just like nobody really wanted JF3 or Tray to play QB for them.

I would if he had been more than a part time QB before his Sr year. Most school did not know he was going to be a QB and by his Sr year  already had the QBs they wanted or zeroed in on their targets. One possible reason so many QB don't pan is because in most cases at most schools they don't evaluate QBs after their Sr seasons. There is soo much pressure to get a QB committed early that it often times don't allow for that. Heck this is the first time Gus and Rhett evaluated high school QBs after their Sr season. Granted they only did it because they missed on other targets.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

All I'm saying is look at the kid's tape and make up your own opinion on him instead of just looking at *s and supposed offer sheets. If you don't like what you see then that's fair.

Me personally, I like his upside, especially for this offense. Plus he's a winner. He took his team to the state title game in one of the best classifications in Georgia & only loss of the season was there by 3 to national power Grayson.

Roswell has made the state final the last 2 years. They are loaded with talent. Grayson is even more loaded. Auburn is recruiting an OL from Roswell for this classs too.